General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 2 months later...

Beyonce? More like Bae-yonce, innit.

Just watched Lemonade and it's pretty good. Felt like it was on the cusp of being something really special at times but never quite got there. It drops a bit from the New Orleans jazz/country one til Freedom.

Also listened to Kanye West's new one which isn't up to much and Kendrick's untitled unmastered which was better than I expected considering it's stuff that wasn't used for To Pimp A Butterfly.

Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence is Radio 2's record of the week. Which is odd because it was record of the week two weeks ago aswell.

While it's a decent version of the song, not fantastic by any means but it is growing on me with each listen, I can't help but envision thousands of Radio 2 listeners going out and buying other Disturbed albums expecting to hear more like it. They're going to be so disappointed

• Paid Members

On the bright side, hopefully this means that all those 100's and probably 1000's of unreleased songs, music videos and movies he has stored in his vault at Paisley Park may see the light of day.

I have no doubt Prince will become the artist with the most posthumous releases one day.

To put this into context, when I was about 15 I was getting my hair cut and they were talking about Prince on the radio (he was getting a lot of media coverage around this time because of Sexy Motherfucker, changing his name to the symbol, etc.) and they said how if he were to retire today, he had enough recorded music in his archive to release an album a year for the next 35 years.

http://www.celebitchy.com/483397/princes_vault_with_100_years_worth_of_music_has_been_drilled_open/

The day after Prince died, the artist had a vault of music in his home/studio Paisley Park with volumes of unreleased music locked away. Bremer Trust, Prince’s bank that has been put in charge of handling his estate, had to drill the vault open last week as Prince was the only person who knew the code to open it. To give you an idea of how much music the vault is thought to contain, it is reported that there is enough music in there to release one album a year for the next 100 years.

The holy grail of all things Prince. The Paisley Park vault containing a collection of Prince’s unreleased recordings was recently drilled open by the company given temporary custody over his estate, Minneapolis’ ABC News affiliate KSTP-TV reports.

Inside, there is enough music to release an album a year for the next century, according to the station.

“We could put out more work in a month than most people could do in a year or more,” Susan Rogers, Prince’s former recording engineer, told Good Morning America, noting that the music legend had produced volumes of work in the ‘80s.

Bremer Trust was the company that forcibly opened the vault, to which only Prince had the code.

"So yeah, I just had a hundred albums worth of recordings going spare"

Also, recorded songs, not just written songs.

What does everyone think of Radiohead's new song, Burn The Witch? (I can't link from my phone but it's on YouTube).

I wasn't arsed about it on first listen but it's stuck in my head now. If this and Spectre (which I really liked) both point to a sound based around orchestral pieces going mental I reckon it bodes well for the new record. It's got to be better than King Of Limbs anyway, hasn't it? The gap between good Raidohead stuff has now made the line "their last few albums have been crap" sound completely ordinary even though In Rainbows was potentially their masterpiece.

Unless your one of those weirdos who think they went shit after The Bends :dickin: .

• Paid Members

Yeah. Burn the Witch gets better with every listen. Didn't like Spectre much, tbh.

They've been a bit hit and miss since Amnesiac. More good than bad, but some right forgettable stuff in there too. I expect the new album to be a similar mixed bag of treats and dullness.

• Paid Members

Ha.. so not much hope of quality control in what gets released then, huh?

Well, as he was a decent producer as well, theoretically all those recordings are done and finished. They can be slapped on a CD (or whatever you kids have these days) and put on the shelves.

What would be a very bad thing is if they get some other producer in to tinker with them, and then put them out as a "collaboration" like they did with MJ's Xscape

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• 4 weeks later...