General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Evolved? They've reverted to what sounds like their Scott Grooves era, and the fact they've gone to Pharrell Williams in a bid to accentuate this nonsense electronica/rap crossover fad, is ducking disheartening. Major let down.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

I quite like it. An album with this much hype and expectation was always going to provoke extreme reactions either way.

and the fact they've gone to Pharrell Williams in a bid to accentuate this nonsense electronica/rap crossover fad, is ducking disheartening.

That isn't true - 'Get Lucky' sounds nothing like a rap/electronica crossover, its just a disco throwback where the vocalist also happens to be an influential hip hop producer. They have known Pharell for years, they are not just jumping on a bandwagon. If anything this album is the opposite - a conscious homage to the late 70s that deliberately eschews modern sounds and trends.

Random Access Memories is a laughable mess,

A bit harsh. It's just a decent album that strays dangerously close to unfashionable genres like lounge and disco-pastiche.

• Paid Members
But hey, you, like so many others, decided in advance that this album would be the soundtrack to your closeted little summer, so what can you do.

Maybe he genuinely likes the album? Just a thought.

Indeed, I do. But obviously I'm wrong and I don't actually enjoy it at all, apparently.

I'm not feeling RAM at all really but i never thought i would in the first place, hopefully it's a grower. We've had better from The Knife, Owiny Sigoma Band, The Haxan Cloak and Savages in the past couple of months alone so 2013 is looking to be a pretty tidy year for music.

Speaking of Owiny,

is constantly on repeat around here.

RAM is growing on me, I first listened to it last night and thought it was fucking pish, now after a few more listens im quite enjoying it. I should point out that im a massive Daft Punk fun and never actually loved any of their studio albums, theyve all been OK but its their live albums that rock my cock. I was purely excited about this album as they will hopefully do a few big shows and I can finally see them live.

Edited by Van Dammer

• Paid Members

Ray Manarek - The keyboardist of The Doors has died of bile duct cancer.

He's been a hero of mine since I was a kid - the Doors are one of my favourite bands of all time. He had a decent innings and I'm sure he's had a happier, more successful and longer life than many many people could dream of but it's always a shame to see someone you admire go.

manzarek02.jpg

R.I.P

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members
Ray Manarek - The keyboardist of The Doors has died of bile duct cancer.

He's been a hero of mine since I was a kid - the Doors are one of my favourite bands of all time. He had a decent innings and I'm sure he's had a happier, more successful and longer life than many many people could dream of but it's always a shame to see someone you admire go.

Ahh fuck that's gutting. I love the Doors, very talented lad. I love his playing on 'Riders on the Storm', superb.