General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Music request!

Does anyone have any recommendations for me for 60s/70s psych rock from the USA or Britain/Europe?

I like Jimi, obviously, and the Doors too. The Simpsons turned me on to Quicksilver Messenger Service but beyond that I know very little of the Western proponents of the genre and am much more familiar with their African counterparts.

(oh yeah, I like Beefheart and Starks Reality, not sure if those qualify)

edit: much to my shame I've never really bothered listening to the Beatles, so if you want to recommend any of their more psychedelic stuff in here too please do.

220px-Nuggets,_Volume_1.jpg

I can highly recommend this as a great starting point for 60s psych.

I heartily endorse this - Lenny Kaye is a genius. I'm especially a fan of The Shadows of Knight.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Wasn't sure where else to put this but I was wondering if anyone else remembered this.

When MTV2 first started, I think it was called M2 at the start, their programming was made up almost entirely of hour blocks of videos that were chosen by viewers or special guests. You could go on the website and put together your own hour of videos, email them in, and then keep an eye on the schedule on the website to see if yours was selected. Did anyone else try this or does anyone remember it? Did anyone get theirs on? Pretty much everyone seemed to choose Intergalactic by Beastie Boys and Step On by Happy Mondays.

I tried about 10 fucking times with no success. My brother tried once and got his fucking on. I'm still bitter about it to this day.

• Paid Members

I dont remember that specifically, but i do remember shelling out a couple of times for TQ's "Westside" on those channels where you'd call in and choose the song like a premium rate juke box, then sit glued to the TV for the next 13 hours waiting for it to come on.

Not sure it ever did, and if it did, you couldnt be certain that it wasnt because someone else had ordered it 6 hours before you.

• Paid Members

I never bothered with them because, like you say, the queue was usually about 15 hours long and half of that was taken up with Baby One More Time by Britney Spears.

I remember that system. I only used it once, but I gave up hope of it ever coming on. Did it specifically mention a username on the TV when your playlist came on? I don't remember that far.

The other channels had songs scrolling at the bottom with a code where you could call and text to get that song on. Surprised Kerrang don't still do that considering they seem to be cycling through Butterfly by O-Town, Smooth Criminal by AAF or Tribute by Tenacious D when I flick over.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members
I remember that system. I only used it once, but I gave up hope of it ever coming on. Did it specifically mention a username on the TV when your playlist came on? I don't remember that far.

The other channels had songs scrolling at the bottom with a code where you could call and text to get that song on. Surprised Kerrang don't still do that considering they seem to be cycling through Butterfly by O-Town, Smooth Criminal by AAF or Tribute by Tenacious D when I flick over.

Yes, it gave your username on-screen after every video, I think.

The code for Baby One More Time on The Box was 166. It came on the bottom of the screen about 40 times an hour for about 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get into Marshall Mathers LP2 at the moment. The singles don't have much in the way of hooks and none of the songs really stick in my head. The rapping is impressive and the lyrics are fine, but I'm not so keen on the production. The Monster seems gash to me at the moment. Maybe it'll grow on me but I doubt it. The production is generic and has bloody Rihanna on again.

I bought the new albums from Daniel Avery and Jon Hopkins the other day. Outside of Kid A, Aphex Twin, Autechre etc my knowledge of electronica is pretty slim but i'm definitely interested to hear more. Anybody got any suggestions? Maybe good things that have come out this year?

If you ever feel like scouring a bands huge discography then give Coil a go, there's countless styles of electronic music within it and Autechre are huge fans and have remixed some of their work. For more recent stuff I'd check out last years Andy Stott album Luxury Problems, Excavation by Haxan Cloak, Elemental by Demdike Stare and Remember Your Black Day by Vatican Shadow.

Then there's Carter Tutti Void, British Murder Boys, Raime, Roly Porter, Factory Floor, Burial and yeah I'm only just realising how many electronic artists I've gotten into these past couple of years.