General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
I've been listening to a good amount of Chris and Cosey recently - there's a real exuberance to their most accessible work, that I can only assume stems with no longer having to be anywhere near Genesis P. Orridge.

Walking through Heaven

Everyone does better when they get away from Gen, i can't say i'm much of a fan of his work compared to the other members of TG.

• Paid Members
I've been listening to a good amount of Chris and Cosey recently - there's a real exuberance to their most accessible work, that I can only assume stems with no longer having to be anywhere near Genesis P. Orridge.

Walking through Heaven

Everyone does better when they get away from Gen, i can't say i'm much of a fan of his work compared to the other members of TG.

I've always thought that he mainly contributed being a sick bastard to TG - the lyrics go from sublime (Very Friendly) to pointlessly nasty (Slug Bait), whilst the music is consistently top-notch. He appears to have deliberately sabotaged TG's reunion, so he's got that going for him.

Jesus, I couldn't stand that as my alarm. I had Sir Duke as my alarm for a while but realised I was falling out of love with it. When you hear the song again, you associate it with waking up which is horrible. I wanted to have the theme to the first level on Mario 64 as my alarm, but I don't want to ruin that.

Songs that are too enthusiastic don't work as alarms. Morning Glory worked well for me about fifteen years ago. Eases you in, not annoyingly up-beat and a decent song.

• Paid Members
Jesus, I couldn't stand that as my alarm. I had Sir Duke as my alarm for a while but realised I was falling out of love with it. When you hear the song again, you associate it with waking up which is horrible. I wanted to have the theme to the first level on Mario 64 as my alarm, but I don't want to ruin that.

Songs that are too enthusiastic don't work as alarms. Morning Glory worked well for me about fifteen years ago. Eases you in, not annoyingly up-beat and a decent song.

I need something upbeat, or I'll just ignore it - I've no problem with hearing a song as an alarm over and over, but

is knackered as a ringtone through association with my mother-in-law and her hellish phonecalls.

I get horrible associations with alarm tones. I used to use songs and found that if I heard those outside of the alarm context they would make me feel a bit nauseous.I guess it is a surprise to no one that I am not a morning person...

I'm the same. On the rare occasion someone has my alarm tone as their ringtone, I almost feel faint for a second as my brain works out what's going on.

• Paid Members
I get horrible associations with alarm tones. I used to use songs and found that if I heard those outside of the alarm context they would make me feel a bit nauseous.

I guess it is a surprise to no one that I am not a morning person...

I'm the same. On the rare occasion someone has my alarm tone as their ringtone, I almost feel faint for a second as my brain works out what's going on.

Me too, it makes me feel sick. I once (pre mp3s & stuff) bought a cassette single (very cheaply) of the terrible dance song Ecuador by Sash to use as an alarm because I was sick of ruining songs I liked by waking up to them and my only alarm was a boom box, looking back on it it was a horrible choice.

Yeah I have ruined a few songs due to using them for my ring tone. For my alarm I now just have the most abrasive, dirty dubstep song you can possibly imagine, and I make sure I have to actually get out of bed to reach the phone to turn it off. Stops me rolling back over asleep.

• Paid Members

Been listening to the new Daft Punk album for the past few days non-stop, it's fucking ace (obviously). Definitely evolved their sound- this album is more laid back than their previous three. Think Something About Us or Veridis Quo from Discovery. Some heavy American 70s American influences here, not too indifferent to Justice's second album in that respect. The collaboration with Paul Williams is especially good. Excellent album that gets better and better with every listen will do a full write-up on the album thread soon.

Oh, and the Giorgio track in the album is superb. Sounds so wonderfully....Giorgio.

Been listening to the new Daft Punk album for the past few days non-stop, it's fucking ace (obviously). Definitely evolved their sound- this album is more laid back than their previous three. Think Something About Us or Veridis Quo from Discovery. Some heavy American 70s American influences here, not too indifferent to Justice's second album in that respect. The collaboration with Paul Williams is especially good. Excellent album that gets better and better with every listen will do a full write-up on the album thread soon.

Oh, and the Giorgio track in the album is superb. Sounds so wonderfully....Giorgio.

Fanboy bollocks. Barring two or three moments (not tracks, moments) Random Access Memories is a laughable mess, and that's coming from someone who defends Human After All to this day. 'Touch' is hilarious and I can only presume that the people who recognised the Lou Reed/Metallica album for the joke that it is feel the same way about this track because it's exactly the same thing, save for swapping guitars for synths. The Giorgio love-in is like a terrible SNL sketch. 'Get Lucky' is played out already. 'Lose Yourself To Dance' is good, then it drags on for three more minutes. 'Contact' is easily the best thing on the record, but Anthony Gonzalez and M83 do that sky-scraping thing much better. But hey, you, like so many others, decided in advance that this album would be the soundtrack to your closeted little summer, so what can you do.