General music thread

Devon Malcolm

The new Justin Timberlake album isn't very good, is it? Nearly every track is over 7 minutes long just for the sake of it. They have mini-remixes tacked on the end, which really only works on one track, Don't Hold The Wall. It spoils other tracks, like Strawberry Bubblegum, which could have been a darker, ambient, blippy subdued number. Similarly, Pusher Love Girl should be nowhere near 8 minutes long - it'd make a neat interlude or short intro.

Lyrically, Strawberry Bubblegum is awful. So is Spaceship Coupe, which could have made for a good sensual number, but it's just corny crap.

Mirrors, I don't mind, but it's like an outtake from Timberlake's previous album.

The only track that actually delivers what you want Timberlake and Timbaland to produce is Tunnel Vision.

He's tried to make a pop album for muso's.

It would have been fine on some songs, but there are certain tracks where being a 3 minute, radio-ready pop track would have been okay.

Hes probably aware, too, that though his last album hinted at that muso pop/r n b sound, Frank Ocean has since come along and really owned that territory. That's probably why the new album is so cynically overdone, a 'I'm the king of this' type deal.

But no one should be surprised, he's always banged on abou making 'pop' credible in the same way rock or blues are seen as credible. His PR for this album has pretty much hinged on one sentence; 'if Led Zep and Pink Floyd can have ten minute tracks, why can't I?'. He's used that line everywhere.

It really is an album for critics to toss off to. The 7-8 minute songs are a real chore to get through because they reach their natural endings and then they're drawn out for the final 2-3 minutes, and because the material itself just isn't that good. The only two exceptions to all of that are Tunnel Vision and Don't Hold The Wall.

The long running times and alterations at the end also mean that Timbaland has to do a lot more work. He ends up centre stage instead of Justin Timberlake.

And if Justin Timberlake can't figure out why Pop songs aren't usually 8 minutes long, this is why. It sucks out the fun, and it's ridiculous to try to make epics out of songs with lyrics like, "We can make love on the moon," and, "My blueberry lollipop."

It's an arrogant album that isn't even half as good as it thinks it is.

Edited by Vice

• Moderators

About a year ago I bought a jazz album in the record store because it looked pretty cool. It was Blacknuss by Rahsaan Roland Kirk. I didn't know anything about the guy at the time.

Of late I have been really getting into his work, having picked up a few more albums. Dude was a bit of a mad genius. He would rock up on stage with like five instruments around his neck and play them all during his set, frequently a few at once.

roland-kirk-7.jpg

He pioneered techniques that had never been heard of before, and Jimi Hendrix held him up as a personal hero and idol.

He has made shitloads of albums, so I'm going to really enjoy gradually getting hold of them all. He chats some fun shit on the albums as well (both on the live and studio recordings). He was quite political and had plenty to say.

Some fun facts from wiki: Jay Leno opened for him on one tour, and he played the flute on Quincy Jones's Soul Bossa Nova (the Austin Powers song).

Here's a great version of Say a Little Prayer he did.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
About a year ago...

I fully agree with your post. I got into the bloke a couple of years ago and I've been much the better for it. The bloke's music is nutty, but with so much going on you seem to get something new out of every spin.

I've yet to listen to all his stuff (there is a lot), but my favourite is album probably 'The Inflated Tear'. From that album, The Black and Crazy Blues.

• Moderators
About a year ago...

I fully agree with your post. I got into the bloke a couple of years ago and I've been much the better for it. The bloke's music is nutty, but with so much going on you seem to get something new out of every spin.

I've yet to listen to all his stuff (there is a lot), but my favourite is album probably 'The Inflated Tear'. From that album, The Black and Crazy Blues.

Just got in touch with my regular guy and copped 8 albums he had, one of which is The Inflated Tear. So I'm not going to listen to your link just yet and will wait for the vinyl to arrive in a few days! Ahhhhh.. I'm not going anywhere this weekend.