General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Nice read. I too classed Springsteen as 'Dad-rock' in High School, I even remember my mates and I taking the piss out of our Head Master because he claimed he was a Springsteen fan in Assembly - of course, I only really knew his two hits from 'Born In The USA', at the time.

Personally, I think Nebraska is his masterpiece. It lacks the flash and fun of his other stuff but, by christ, it's a beautifully written album. Like you were saying, Frankie, Springsteen is (possibly) the greatest storyteller in his genre, this claim doesn't shine any brighter than during this album. It's just him and his guitar, singing stories about the bleak hardships of life.

I like the story about how the album was made; Springsteen recorded a rough outline of the album on a cassette and carried it in his back pocket to the studio everyday to show the band what he was after. After them trying to 'E Street' the songs up a bit, the producer and Springsteen agreed that it wasn't sounding as good as the songs on his battered cassette. So basically, that album is the battered cassette he made in his house. Doesn't get much rawer than that, which only enhances the haunted vibe the album has.

I was obsessed with Darkness On The Edge Of Town, last year, too. Personally, it's how I imagined Nebraska would have went if Springsteen decided to use the E Street Band on the album. It's got everything on it that makes him great. Did you catch the documentary they made about it recently, Frankie? The most interesting thing about it is Springsteen's process for writing songs, quite literally discards monster hit songs (Because The Night) in favour of material that benefits the vibe of the album.

I'll add

to the thread. Like all his best work, it refuses to be subtle about the issue it's on about.

• Awards Moderator
I was obsessed with Darkness On The Edge Of Town, last year, too. Personally, it's how I imagined Nebraska would have went if Springsteen decided to use the E Street Band on the album. It's got everything on it that makes him great. Did you catch the documentary they made about it recently, Frankie? The most interesting thing about it is Springsteen's process for writing songs, quite literally discards monster hit songs (Because The Night) in favour of material that benefits the vibe of the album.

Yep, got it in my flat! My mate lent it to me last year and I'm refusing to give it him back until he stops throwing up in my spare room when he stays here after a pint. It's a great documentary and it was one of the things that rekindled my love for the album.

I completely agree with your other comments about Nebraska. I've had this conversation a few times with my mate that the album, as good as it would have been due to the writing, would have suffered from the usual production and arrangement. The very thought of him sat in a dingy (which I'm sure it wasn't) room just getting it all out on to cassette makes the content all the more meaningful. It's been described as the definition of Americana which, as wanky as it may sound, is spot on. Oh bollocks, that'll be the next one I'll lose myself to now!

Edited by Frankie Crisp

In the last few days Ive been tearing through the Replacements deluxe editons as well as Paul Westerbergs solo stuff. Always loved Let It Be and Don't Tell A Soul but All Shook Down ( pretty much their last gasp) was really cool. Hope the Stinson/Westerberg 'Mats' reunion wont be a letdown.

• Paid Members

I've decided I really don't like that new Rolling Stones track. It's always the way with great old bands - you so, so desperately want them to still be great and like they were in their prime that in the first few listens you convince yourself that it's actually pretty good. But once you hear it for the 6th or 7th time, you realise it's just not actually very good at all. The lyrics in Doom & Gloom are fucking dreadful especially and Jagger doesn't sound at the races at all.

• Moderators

Giorgio Moroder is all up on Soundcloud uploading different edits and rarities and such. Ahh yeah!

http://soundcloud.com/giorgiomoroder

Edit! Part two of this is a plea - He's set everything as downloadable. So, unsurprisingly, every track has reached its download limit. Is there anyway to rip tracks off soundcloud?

Edited by Chest Rockwell