General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Was in the record shop the other day and I picked up 5 Diana Ross albums, a few Springsteen albums and an O-Jays Live album all on the cheap. Good bargains. Also picked up a couple great Blue Note albums (Horace Silver Quintet and Dexter Gordon), but those were at full whack.

The last new album I bought was

. Didn't know anything about them before but I just liked the album cover and it was on Soundway, which is a real consistent record label. Turned out to be a good purchase. Shit.. actually. That was just a re-press.. what was the last actually recently recorded thing I bought?? Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
What's the last album everyone bought? I have to admit that 90% of music that I buy these days is over fifteen years old. I just picked up the Greatest Hits of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. Having said that, I did get the new Vaccines album last week and although it took a few listens, I think it's a cracking follow-up to last year's debut.

it was a double whammy of Napalm Death's new album and Ginger's 100% album.

So much stuff I'm digging right now. Currently spinning 'Live' by Erykah Badu, which is just the kind of smooth, soulful, jazzy record you want to listen to with a glass of bourbon at this time of night. Pretty emotional, too, the concert was while she was pregnant with her first child. She has the audience in her palm, and her voice sounds incredible, probably my favourite singer of the last twenty years. 'Tyrone' is the jam.

Other than that, I've been playing the shit out 'Sebenza' by LV in the last couple weeks, the beats a fucking awesome, all garage and electro and the production has such a sheen. Then you have these South African rappers over it with a totally idiosyncratic flow, funky and hits hard. Been playing the G.O.O.D music record since it leaked, too. It's pretty nice, just a shame the rest of the artists on it aren't anywhere near the level of Ye.

I've been digging Zebra Katz, they've not put too much out yet but what they have has been incredible, hip house is huge right now, the right combination of electro beats and rhythmic flow sounds amazing.

Been revisiting a lot of Skream's early stuff, I was so excited about that wobble industrial dubstep sound when it first dropped. The genre hasn't really lived up to expectations, and most of the stuff touted as great dubstep in the last few years has actually been more like future garage or breakbeat, but these early singles still pack a punch. Can't say anyone predicted that abrasive, aggressive sound coming out of South London back then would eventually be all over the US charts.

As for older stuff, Judee Sill's two records have been barely off my turntable in the last few months, they get more and more beautiful every time. It's pretty much the sound of 70s canyon folk encapsulated, I love her vocal enunciation with that southern street accent.

Oh, and fuck The Vaccines. Last thing the world needs is another ridiculously derivative, unoriginal indie rock band. If it wasn't for the absurd dearth of any good rock or indie music at the minute they'd barely get a mention anywhere. Somehow managed to see snippets of them live three times this year at various festivals and they weren't good live at all.

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF

It was no dumb idea, there are easily 500 British albums better than anything Williams has to offer. Have you heard his latest single? I have and I fucking cringed. Dreadful. His early work had some merit, and his mad phase stuff was interesting, the latest one is dire.

To answer your question, I will finish it at some point, but I'm snowed under at the minute, been interning for a firm four days a week and there seem to be fantastic club nights and gigs and whatever going down with alarming regularity right now. I will get back to work on a rainy autumnal morning where I've nothing to do but stare out the window, watch the leaves drift by and listen to records better than the latest masterpiece Stoke's finest is peddling.

• Paid Members
I was actually looking for a music thread on here the other day to say this;

I think Frank Black's first two solo albums are the best albums of the 90s and he's the greatest alternative rock artist of all time, the Pixies were obviously amazing but I think his early solo stuff is overlooked and it's fantastic.

*edited for using the word amazing too many times* although it was warranted

i'll check them out.

Teenager of the year is the one man, it's his second solo album and it's from 1994, all killer no filler, great, great album, I'll always have a soft spot for his self titled solo album though, I listen to it all the time. Blackson was right about Show me Your Tears too, it was a real return to form,

Let me know what you think, give them a few listens, they're real growers.

Last CD I bought was Dido's album from Poundland a couple of weeks ago. The one with "Thank You" on it. Before that, I think it was others from Poundland as well. Bedingfield's first two, The Darkness' first, and a couple of others I forget. Last CD I bought that wasn't just a whimsical "it's only a quid" buy was the Tired Pony album.

I struggle to recognise many of the current chart hits, as my results on "Today's Hits" on SongPop will attest. The dance tracks with black lads and female singers, at least. But I think they sound good. Mind you, I've recently decided that the best song ever is that one from Green Street, so the fuck do I know:

• Paid Members
The last physical album I bought was "Thick as Thieves" by Larkin Poe a few weeks ago. You should buy it too, it comes with a DVD! http://www.larkinpoe.com/

Is their name a Con Air reference?

Even if its not, I want it to be, so I'm going to say yes. Yes it is.

They do a tremendous cover of "Teardrop" by Massive Attack on the Summer EP

I think I've heard that somewhere, but can't remember where. It was excellent, if I remember rightly.