General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Bon Jovi are one of those bands that I wouldn't go to their own gig to see but would love to see at a festival. Given they make easily accessible, non-offensive music & have enough massive hits to be able to play their new dross at gigs without upsetting people too much as you'd only have to wait a couple of songs before another fan favourite comes along. I imagine they're also a popular 'event' for corporate hospitality too?

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers is probably the album I have listened to more than any other. A true classic

It's still such a massive album, to me it doesn't feel like it's dated at all. What are everyone elses most listened albums? Not necessarily your favourite but the album you can spin at any time & know inside out? Mine's probably Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves. Is always in the car & never fails to put me in a good mood.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'd definitely have a few tinnies and sing along to a Bon Jovi set!

Most listened to... Master of Puppets is definitely up there for me. One of those albums where if it's on in the car and it gets to the end I can just let it go around again (which is very rare for me).

I've probably listened to Smash by Offspring about a billion times as well.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

From the age of 15 I listened to "one fierce beer coaster" by Bloodhound Gang at least twice a day for a good couple of years, I rinsed that shit hard, I could still recite every lyric from beginning to end without hesitation.

I daren't think how many times I've listened to appetite for destruction by guns n' roses either, at least a couple of times a week for over 20 years.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

In terms of most listened to album, I think Slayer - Reign in Blood definitely takes the prize. The fact it had exactly the same running time as my walk to school meant I listened to it tice, nay, THRICE a day sometimes and it remains the only fll album I have on my iPod (I have a mega-ancient shuffle with random songs of my choice on it).

Anyway, here's some good psychedelicy music for anyone into that type of thing. The band Goat is especially worth a look. Swedish afrobeat! Who'd have thought it possible?

http://rocketrecordings.bandcamp.com/

• Paid Members

Zappa's The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life is probably my most played album, although there's a couple of contenders from Satriani, Ozzy or Iron Maiden.

I found it on cassette in the library by my college in 1994, made a copy, and haven't gone more than a fortnight since without listening to it. For me, it's the absolute perfect example of how good a live album - and indeed a live band - could be, and played a big part in influencing my own music writing. I love the way that because nobody else has ever produced an album that sounds quite like it, it hasn't dated, because there's nothing to compare it to. The production is excellent, and so it sounds every bit as good now as it did in 1987.

The only downside is that the cassette version I borrowed from the library was the US version, and the UK version doesn't have Bolero on it, as Ravel's family are cunts.

The new Bowie song is rotten; kind of killed my hope that this new album won't be another sup-par effort. I've listened to it a couple of times and it, unforgivably, has no hook.

Is this new new, or the one that was released a few weeks ago? Cos I thought that was really good.