General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I really like Johnny Marr's The Messenger:-

His voice holds up pretty well, I think. Looking forward to hearing some more solo stuff from him.

Also, I love Don't Save Me by Haim far more than I probably should:-

I've been listening to blues again lately. I spent last night listening to John Lee Hooker and have gone back to listening to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac a bit too. I bought a Squier '50s Classic Vibe Telecaster lately to try get back into playing guitar. I'm self taught, so no doubt I've picked up bad habits. My strumming isn't as good as I'd like it to be for one.

Anyway, last night I tuned it into an open tuning to try play Tom Jones' cover of Burning Hell but my sliding doesn't sound too smooth. When I put the slide on the strings, it sounds like it clonks down and is quite heavy. It is fun playing around with it and I love the sound of it when I play little licks with it.

Anyone else play slide who can give me some pointers? Cheers.

Ok, heres my input.

The Kinks are underated and should be held in the same regard as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Discuss

I've only ever listened to their Greatest Hits album which I loved when I was little, but I assumed their albums weren't in the same league as The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Which album is their magnum opus?

• Paid Members
I've been listening to blues again lately. I spent last night listening to John Lee Hooker and have gone back to listening to Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac a bit too. I bought a Squier '50s Classic Vibe Telecaster lately to try get back into playing guitar. I'm self taught, so no doubt I've picked up bad habits. My strumming isn't as good as I'd like it to be for one.

Anyway, last night I tuned it into an open tuning to try play Tom Jones' cover of Burning Hell but my sliding doesn't sound too smooth. When I put the slide on the strings, it sounds like it clonks down and is quite heavy. It is fun playing around with it and I love the sound of it when I play little licks with it.

Anyone else play slide who can give me some pointers? Cheers.

It's an inherant problem of playing slide on a normal guitar. The action will be too low, especially on a nice Tele'.

The only real way to fix that is get the action highered, but that's a sure fire way of ruining a nice Telecaster.

If you just want to practice, buy a cheap guitar (which usually have a high action anyway) and maybe get it highered. Once you're sure you wanna go the whole hog, buy a nice resonator and do it proper. (Which I plan to do one day.)

Also, try different types of slide. What type are you using? A big old metal one could be too heavy. Sometimes, a small glass one, or even ceramic can give a better sound.

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

Yeah, I'm using a big ol' metal one. I didn't really think about that. I think my brother has a Resonator and they sound lovely. A National guitar, like the one Paul Simon sings of, is like a Resonator, isn't it?

I'll try with a lighter slide, but if not I'll have to look into other options. Are there any electric guitars that have the action high by default?

Thanks, I'm clueless on this stuff.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I'm using a big ol' metal one. I didn't really think about that. I think my brother has a Resonator and they sound lovely. A National guitar, like the one Paul Simon sings of, is like a Resonator, isn't it?

I'll try with a lighter slide, but if not I'll have to look into other options. Are there any electric guitars that have the action high by default?

Thanks, I'm clueless on this stuff.

There may be. Generally though, a high action is the sign of a poorly made or poorly set up guitar. It's all about preference though, a bit like string gauges. Some people like a high action.

I play slide on a cheap acoustic, as I don't like the sound of slide on a electric, and I like a low action on my normal acoustic. Until I get better, I'll carry on that way, and then buy a resonator to do it proper.

This is a resonator, it's got a big drum in the middle to amplify it, before amps were around, hence the association with Blues:

gr5353.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator_guitar

• Paid Members
Ok, heres my input.

The Kinks are underated and should be held in the same regard as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Discuss

I've only ever listened to their Greatest Hits album which I loved when I was little, but I assumed their albums weren't in the same league as The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Which album is their magnum opus?

Village Green Persersvation Society is a great concept album. Something Else has some great tracks, but they were a fantastic singles band

• Paid Members

I prefer The Kinks to The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, but I don't think that they should be held in as high regard as those bands.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members

A music teacher in America teaches a Zappa specific class, arranges a concert, and gets two of Zappa's bandmembers to play. My music teacher would have likely bollocked me for mentioning his name. Except for Stravinsky and Orf, there wasn't much 20th century music she didn't instantly dismiss with open derision.

• Paid Members
Ok, heres my input.

Discuss

In terms of personal taste, I wholeheartedly agree. I love The Kinks, they've done some fantastic stuff. Never been a Beatles fan to be honest, but completely understand and agree their importance and influence on the shape of pop music. But I really enjoy listening to the likes of Sunny Afternoon, Days, Lola, All Day And All Of The Night, You Really Got Me and of course Waterloo Sunset. I really need to check out their albums because I haven't heard half of their stuff, but really enjoy what I know. Plus they were from Lahndahn. But I'd still pick the Stones over them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers is probably the album I have listened to more than any other. A true classic, so imagine my joy when I heard this beautiful new remix of Shame On A Nigga from the RZA's movie, it turns a gritty hip hop track I've loved for years into this giant cinematic epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PBkCUUmJ4

What a beauty.

• 2 months later...