General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I've been listening to the Hackers soundtrack an awful lot, reminiscing in my head about how acts like The Prodigy, Underworld, Leftfield and Oribital were so exciting and progressive. Now all there is is the cunting Swedish House Mafia and that Skrillex chap.

On the other hand, I'm hooked on Oddfellows (Tomahawk) and cannot wait for my Place Beyond the Pines vinyl to come in the post. Absolutely adore that man, Mike Patton.

Class song, Butch. I've been digging up some sadly long forgotten Italo-Disco songs these past few days ,

is one hell of a song and so could have been a hit here. DJ Benneti aka Whitehouse is putting on a nice lot of Italo club nights these days, the crowds seem awfully young and hip for this stuff though. Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
I've been listening to the Hackers soundtrack an awful lot, reminiscing in my head about how acts like The Prodigy, Underworld, Leftfield and Oribital were so exciting and progressive. Now all there is is the cunting Swedish House Mafia and that Skrillex chap.

That is an incredible soundtrack, still get a bit goosebumpey as soon as Halcyon And On And On kicks in at the beginning of the film. Don't forget Massive Attack (Shelter) from that soundtrack, too. If you look hard enough, there is still superb electronic music out there. Nero are probably the equivalent of that lot today.

Would there be enough interest in a vinyl thread? I'm starting a vinyl collection, though I don't have a turntable yet or a good set of speakers. I bought a couple of vinyls first as I can get them signed at a gig I'm going to soon.

I don't want to use the term audiophile though as that turns me off a bit.

• Moderators

What would the purpose of the thread be? Like, I have a lot of records, but...

I'm sure I would post in it anyway if you created it though. Go for it. If it dies, it dies.

If nothing else we can argue over your horrible use of the plural noun 'vinyls'.

• Moderators

I guess there are people who say that.. but I don't like the term at all and it's definitely a minority who say it. Vinyl is already the collective and singular.. for the plural I'd just say records. But whatever. It's probably an unreasonable bias I have because of the connotations and images the word conjures up. Much like your dislike of the term audiophiles.

So you starting the thread then? I am interested to follow your journey and want to see what fancy shmancy equipment you buy.

• Paid Members
That is an incredible soundtrack, still get a bit goosebumpey as soon as Halcyon And On And On kicks in at the beginning of the film. Don't forget Massive Attack (Shelter) from that soundtrack, too. If you look hard enough, there is still superb electronic music out there. Nero are probably the equivalent of that lot today.

The film itself is one of my all time guilty pleasures, not least, coz I absolutely love Matthew Lillard in everything he does. The - although usually stomach churning - 'inspired by' cd's that followed are actually great too. Plus CD3 has the excellent 'Launch DiVinci' by Simon Boswell. Always wanted that piece when I was a teen, but that was before the internet. When I figured out how to download (back when it took 1 hour to download a 3mb file) Launch DiVinci and Do It Fluid from Very Bad Things were the first two tunes I got.

Will check out Nero, thanks dude. There are a few decent electronic bands around now, but nothing that hit me like the peak of the 90's (or the Trance scene of the late 90's and early 2000's). Just a poxy sign of aging I guess.

What would the purpose of the thread be? Like, I have a lot of records, but...

I'm sure I would post in it anyway if you created it though. Go for it. If it dies, it dies.

If nothing else we can argue over your horrible use of the plural noun 'vinyls'.

The plural, as all Prince fans know, is Rekkas.

Also, listening to that gorgeous Prince version of Let's Go Crazy - goddamn, Prince is one of the greatest guitarists I've ever heard.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
There are a few decent electronic bands around now, but nothing that hit me like the peak of the 90's (or the Trance scene of the late 90's and early 2000's). Just a poxy sign of aging I guess.

I'm still incredibly depressed that Trance didn't dominate as long as I hoped. I was convinced all music in the future would be trance, it sounded so futuristic not to be :( The Classic Trance (DI) station on that Tune In Radio app is fantastic.

Edited by PunkStep

Class song, Butch. I've been digging up some sadly long forgotten Italo-Disco songs these past few days ,
is one hell of a song and so could have been a hit here. DJ Benneti aka Whitehouse is putting on a nice lot of Italo club nights these days, the crowds seem awfully young and hip for this stuff though.

<3

I love Italo-Disco. I'll need to find out more about this new Whitehouse altar-ego, it seems right up my alley.

Would there be enough interest in a vinyl thread? I'm starting a vinyl collection, though I don't have a turntable yet or a good set of speakers. I bought a couple of vinyls first as I can get them signed at a gig I'm going to soon.

I don't want to use the term audiophile though as that turns me off a bit.

I've often thought about starting a vinyl thread, but I'm acutely aware that those of us that collect vinyl and bang on about how great it is generally come across as pretentious tossers and annoy the fuck out of everyone. I'd definitely be up for contributing if it took off though .I've recently replaced my hifi with an absolute beast of a system so I'm on a record buying binge as of late.

<3

I love Italo-Disco. I'll need to find out more about this new Whitehouse altar-ego, it seems right up my alley.

A little stalky but i just found your Spotify playlist of Italo tracks, will give that a whirl. But yeah, odd seeing William playing this stuff as i'm so used to him screaming obscenities at women over harsh noise, he even has an african inspired project too.