General music thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I honestly can't remember the last album I bought, might've been the last Prodigy one, because being a massive mark of theirs I wanted it in physical format to sit alongside their other albums.

So, have we done the obligatory 'what your first album' question on this forum yet? I'm quite lucky, mine were decent for an 11-year old and not embarrassing. Bought for me: Nirvana- In Utero. Bought myself: TLC- Crazysexycool. Both were Christmas '94, when I got my first CD player.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

First single was Spooks - Karma Hotel from WHSMITHS.

Fuck knows what Album it was some part of me think it was a Korn one.

Here in Halifax town center there isn't one place that sells CD's.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Moderators

Bought for me: Batman soundtrack by Prince LP or Use your illusion 2 for cd.

Bought by me: ugly kid Joe - America's least Wanted (I think that's what it was called.. the one with 'hate everything about you' on it.)

It's an odd one though, because the implications to the answers to this question are different depending on whether you had older siblings or not, I think...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

First album I owned was a cassette of Trash by Alice Cooper when I was 8, I had a walkman and that one tape I stole off my older cousin and I listened to it constantly

First album I bought was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction a short time later, It was a big influence on me because over 20 years later I still think it's amazing and I listen to it all the time.

• Paid Members
It's an odd one though, because the implications to the answers to this question are different depending on whether you had older siblings or not, I think...

Very true. My older brother and sister are 7 & 5 years older than me and they definitely influenced my taste in music- as did my Dad. My Dad was into the early Chicago & acid house stuff, so I got into all that through him. In the early 90s my older brother was well into his hip hop (especially NWA, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill) and rave (espec Prodigy), whilst my sister liked her happy hardcore & jungle. So it was always inevitable that I was going to be into dance music.

• Paid Members

Can't remember what was my first single (it might have been Lovely Day by Bill Withers) and aside from NOW and Smash Hits compilations, my first proper album was Introspective by Pet Shop Boys. Quite proud of that, actually.

Speaking of whom, their new single, Leaving, is fantastic. One of this country's greatest ever music acts.

• Paid Members

i might be off here, but im pretty sure the first cd single i ever owned was WWF Slam Jam.

Album wise on cd i believe was one of the Gladiator compilation album. If we're talking cassette i actually think it was Guns n' Roses 'Appetite for Destruction' which is pretty fucking cool.

• Paid Members
Can't remember what was my first single (it might have been Lovely Day by Bill Withers) and aside from NOW and Smash Hits compilations, my first proper album was Introspective by Pet Shop Boys. Quite proud of that, actually.

Speaking of whom, their new single, Leaving, is fantastic. One of this country's greatest ever music acts.

What a great album to have as your first, I love Pet Shop Boys. My Mum didn't influence much of my music taste, because she mostly listened to shite, but Pet Shop Boys were an exception. Please and Introspective are their best stuff for me, Actually is also very good.