The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

It's a good fight, but I'm torn, because I really like both fighters and don't want to see them lose. Jouban's really fun, and I'd like to see him on a run for a title shot, but then the same goes for Gunnar too - slightly less spectacular, but definitely great to watch from a skill perspective.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There is that, I like both as well. But to be honest, I'm just happy they've put something on that card worth going out of your way to see. I never miss a UFC but this London card was actually becoming one that I wouldn't even be arsed if I missed. That's not to say some of the fights won't be good, but nothing was particularly making me want to tune in. Gunnar vs Jouban guarantees me tuning in.

• Paid Members

In time to get back on the gas for 'Mania. I'm disappointed by this, I have to say that once he got only a 1 year suspension, I did expect him to fight at least once more, and I was really looking forward to it.

• Paid Members

Lesnar is a hustler. Retiring now just means he doesn't have to do any random piss tests. It doesn't mean he won't fight again, for the right price.

I would be surprised if he gets another shot, though, because his last fight was WWE doing him a favour because they booked him for more dates than he was contracted to do. Unless WWE take the piss again, they have no reason to cave into his demands.

Also, Brandon Gibson was on twitter earlier claiming the UFC have told camps/coaches they need to pay for Fight Pass now, if they want fighter footage, as tape will no longer be made available. Lovely bit of penny pinching.

• Paid Members

Helwani is reporting that GSP is close to re-signing with UFC. They bloody need him right now I think given the number of cards and the lack of credible headliners/influx of less than credible interim titles.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/15/14623094/georges-st-pierre-and-ufc-agree-to-terms-close-to-finalizing-new-contract

GSP vs Nate Diaz for the July card? Nate has been linked with a showdown with Alvarez, but he appeared dismissive towards it on Twitter. Nate has wanted the GSP fight for a while. If not, perhaps GSP could take on the winner of Woodley vs Wonderboy. Maybe even Robbie Lawler could be in the frame?

Regardless, there's a lot of interesting fights for GSP out there. I just hope he's what he once was. 

• Paid Members

Bisping said on the MMA Hour one of GSP's coaches told him GSP was very close to coming back and, should Bisping be fit enough, GSP is up for a Bisping title fight. Obviously, so is Bisping.

Surely all roads, should GSP still be the GSP, lead to a monster McGregor match up at Welterweight. Preferably for the title; Dana White's ASDA receipt goes up.

Bisping seems to have spent 99% of his title reign talking fights that should not happen. GSP, Woodley, Nick Diaz etc. He has had his gimme home town fight against an ancient Hendo. He sounds like one of our "World Champion" protected boxers now calling out lower weight class fighters.

I've always been a fan but part of me is kind of looking forward to him getting fucking wrecked by Yoel Romero.

GSP vs Nate Diaz for the July card? Nate has been linked with a showdown with Alvarez, but he appeared dismissive towards it on Twitter. Nate has wanted the GSP fight for a while. If not, perhaps GSP could take on the winner of Woodley vs Wonderboy. Maybe even Robbie Lawler could be in the frame?

Regardless, there's a lot of interesting fights for GSP out there. I just hope he's what he once was. 

While Maia sits at home still waiting for his title shot.

• Paid Members

You should listen to Bisping's interview on the MMA Hour. He does a good job explaining why he's looking for the big fight.

As Helwani pointed out, Bisping has a long career of proving he's not exactly one to duck a challenge. Bisping explains he's only trying to secure one big pay day for his family. He says he's never made big money ever and a big fight against a name, or PPV points on a Conor card, is what he's after. Bisping deserves it, the fucker still fights with one eye.

• Paid Members

Yeh, fighters get into a certain point on their careers where it all starts to be about legacy fights and securing huge paydays. It happens in boxing all the time and MMA is transitioning there in certain situations. I don't blame Bisping for trying, he's a big name, he's in the unlikely position of Champion and he's milking the fucker for all it's worth.

It still blows my mind that he's the Champion.

You should listen to Bisping's interview on the MMA Hour. He does a good job explaining why he's looking for the big fight.

As Helwani pointed out, Bisping has a long career of proving he's not exactly one to duck a challenge. Bisping explains he's only trying to secure one big pay day for his family. He says he's never made big money ever and a big fight against a name, or PPV points on a Conor card, is what he's after. Bisping deserves it, the fucker still fights with one eye.

The thing is wasn't he making 350'000 to show 150'000 to win for years whilst not being a champion. Other fighters would moan about it. He has an estimated net worth as a multi millionaire which hurts my sympathy tbh as him needing some huge payday. Yes he wants a Conor type payday, so does everyone. Woodley got ripped to shreds for wanting one when he became champ and he is noway near as rich as Michael.

Bisping is loaded, has a retirement job set up already as a UFC analyst but needs to fuck about because he wants some huge Conor type payday. I've been a fan of him since TUF but he has been rather off as a champ.

Archived