The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I want to see the all Korean battle of Zombie vs Superboy now as well. Not only would the fight be nuts, I'm just picturing the amazing posters and stuff you could do with those two. Proper DC style shit.

It's mad how popular Zombie is when you think about it. The man speaks no English. It's all based on his crazy fighting style and him and his people marketing the fuck out of the Korean Zombie gimmick. Did the UFC run any shows in Asia last year? It's all a blur, I can't remember. You'd have to think they'll be wanting to get back into that market now Zombie's back on the scene and they've got the likes of Choi and Michelle Waterson. They could promote the shit out of those three over there.

What I find crazy is how badly marketed he is in Korea. I work over there half the year and outside of MMA fans no one knows who he is. Top guys are Stun Gun, Akiyama known by his Korean name Choo Sung-hoon and then Choi Hong-man. Then distant 4th Zombie.

Those main guys are on talk shows, reality shows and TV adverts a bunch. Zombie is nowhere even before his army stint. Its nuts. He really needs better management.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't Zombie and Choi part of the same team?

They were Korean Top Team at one point along with Stun Gun. That team fell apart over money so don't think so now. Zombie trains out of Pohang, Stun Gun Busan and Hongman Seoul. Choi Hongman was a celebrity before he started kickboxing or MMA tbh. He competed and was a champ in Ssireum which is traditional Korean wrestling. He has been a celebrity since like 03.

Cheers for that, Jim Bob, that's pretty interesting stuff! I know it gets said a lot, I know fuck all about MMA in the grand scheme of things but the main contributors to this forum really are excellent. We have a good bunch of informed posters over here!

Up until fairly recently Korean Zombie was doing mandatory army service for 3 years, I can't see s

The South Korean Army being to happy with one of theirs having merchandise.

The people leaving the UFC will be minimal, can't see too many promotions wanting to pay these guys Joe Duffy has came back, and you can talk about Sponsors but even Benson Henderson said he would make more fighting in the UFC at $20,000 he would have to put on about 5 or 6 sponsors because they are now getting low offers between $4,000 & $1000

Hong-man got in trouble for fraud and owed a bunch of money to the wrong people so made an ill advised and totally for the cash come back in 2015/2016 ending up losing to Mighty Mo in MMA by 1st round KO in Road FC and some Chinese Kickboxer half his size in China.

TBH the poor guy can barely walk nowadays let alone train properly. Just cashed in his size and crazy look for the payday.

Think he got his money issues sorted from that and he is back to his day job, which is partying and banging hot Korean women. I 've heard some fucking crazy stories about him. Theres a place called Itaewon in Seoul where loads of foreigners live and I work time to time, theres loads of good bars and clubs there so he parties there a bunch. Heard he swings both ways and has slept with very famous here male and female celebs.

He has a rep as a gentle giant and is much loved by the public. Hope he sorts his cash issues out tbh. He shouldn't be fighting anymore.

• Paid Members

It is quite sad to see the state Choi is in these days, he's a shell of his former self, he's still fucking huge but he looks frail. Nice to hear he's still banging anyway who'll hop on though, good on him i say.

• Paid Members

Yeh, what a weird main event. I could see it headlining an Irish card maybe, but in Nashville?!?

Swanson wrecks Lobov.

Or the London card. I know I keep going on about it but that London card looks shitter and shitter as time passes.

• Paid Members

Gunnar vs Jouban is by far the best fight on that London card. By fucking far. It's too late, like. I won't be hunting down tickets. But it's a really good fight, and that card needed it badly. Still a pretty poor lineup but this fight takes it up a notch or two.

Hopefully Manuwa clobbers Anderson in the main event. Can't be doing with Beastin and I'd like to see Manuwa continue his momentum coming off knocking out OSP.

Archived