The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Can't recall seeing it posted but Miocic/JDS 2 is happening at UFC 211. Would love to see JDS get the belt back.

Being pedantic here I know, but it's not yet set and there's a lot of work to be done to get the fight signed (according to Helwani etc).

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Potential great card for 210, with Weidman v Mousasi also confirmed.

Lovely stuff.

Mousasi is no soft touch. The last time I saw him fight he took apart Belfort without much bother, and he's since avenged his loss to Hall. If I recall rightly, he was also dominating the first fight with Hall before he got caught. I think Weidman's wrestling might be a little too much for Mousasi, and he'll grind out a submission late in the fight - but he'll probably face some hairy moments along the way. 

It's tough one for Weidman. Helwani dropped in that when that fight comes Weidman won't have won a fight in 23 months. They were almost pleading with him to take an easier fight on the MMA Beat, because three losses in a row is brutal for Weidman. Mousasi, on the other side, is on a win streak and it will be interesting to see if he can step up to that top 5 level.

I'm the opposite. I think Cormier might just be one of the few who has Rumble's number. He's just the right combination of granite tough and high level wrestler to be a big problem for Rumble. Of course, Rumble always has a punchers chance against anyone. And his punchers chance is better than most. But I think him vs DC is always going to be a thing where if Rumble doesn't land the bomb early, DC runs away with it. Fuck, Rumble DID land it early last time and Cormier ate it and came back to win. For as terrifying and scary an offensive fighter as Anthony Johnson is, under all that muscle he's still that guy we saw fall apart mentally at 170 and 185 when guys like Koscheck and Belfort wouldn't go away early. It's easy to forget when you see him knocking beasts like Glover Teixeira and Jimi Manuwa dead, but the right guy can still make Rumble crumble. And that was evident in the first Cormier fight when Rumble started feeling sorry for himself and making little distress signals when things started getting rough.

Unless DC gets absolutely cracked with a sledgehammer of a shot, which could happen, I see the fight looking like a repeat of the first fight. I think if Cormier gets through round one, he's already going to have rattled Rumble mentally just by still being there in his face.

Edit- although I've got to say I'm conflicted on this one. I love Cormier so in that sense I'd love to see him win. But if the winner is supposed to fight Jon Jones, I'd much rather see Jones vs Rumble before we see Jones vs Cormier 2.

See, it all depends how Rumble handles slugging it out and stopping the takedown. Anything can happen, but you imagine they've worked hard trying to condition Rumble for something resembling a long night. As we have seen with Jones and, to a lesser degree, Gustafsson if you can manage the takedown shots and keep it standing, DC is in for a long night. As a stand up fight, can DC survive 5 rounds against that sort of power? Can Rumble make it 5 rounds without crumbling?

• Paid Members

See, it all depends how Rumble handles slugging it out and stopping the takedown. Anything can happen, but you imagine they've worked hard trying to condition Rumble for something resembling a long night. As we have seen with Jones and, to a lesser degree, Gustafsson if you can manage the takedown shots and keep it standing, DC is in for a long night. As a stand up fight, can DC survive 5 rounds against that sort of power? Can Rumble make it 5 rounds without crumbling?

Whilst yes, keeping it standing will be obviously Rumble's gameplan, DC is very competent on the feet. Jones got the best of him simply because of the ridiculous reach advantage (kick wise in particular) he had over DC. 

When it came to straight up boxing and especially in the clinch, DC had more of his fair share of success. Against Gustaffson too, whilst it was a tough fight, DC had far more of the stand up exchanges go in his favour. 

If Cormier can last more than a round and a half against Rumble, I can't see it ending any other way than it did in the first fight. Rumble just has so much upper body mass to make it a 5 round war. 

In relation to Weidman vs Mousasi, I see a Mousasi win here. I think his takedown defence is now nearly impeccable and his stand up is far too good and slick for Weidman. I either see a decision win for Mousasi or a finish.

• Paid Members

I always find myself rooting against a 'mental midget' type guy like Rumble. He has the tools to beat any fighter on the planet but against a guy with the ability of grinding it out like DC i'll always favour the grinder. Mental midget is harsh but i don't think Johnson has ever done anything to prove that he can fight through adversity.

As for Weidman/Mousasi, it feels weird to say but it feels like Weidman is damaged goods. I know he's lost 2 straight in devastating fashion and hasn't been overly active, it all just feels a little bit off. Mousasi on the other hand is on a role, he also never seems phased by anything pressure wise. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't despatch of Weidman with relative ease, especially if Weidman doesn't wanna turn it into a wrestling match,

Can't recall seeing it posted but Miocic/JDS 2 is happening at UFC 211. Would love to see JDS get the belt back.

Being pedantic here I know, but it's not yet set and there's a lot of work to be done to get the fight signed (according to Helwani etc).

Ah my bad! Been out of the loop for a few days, was wondering why the article had disappeared from MMAFighting.

• Paid Members

Whilst yes, keeping it standing will be obviously Rumble's gameplan, DC is very competent on the feet. Jones got the best of him simply because of the ridiculous reach advantage (kick wise in particular) he had over DC.

When it came to straight up boxing and especially in the clinch, DC had more of his fair share of success. Against Gustaffson too, whilst it was a tough fight, DC had far more of the stand up exchanges go in his favour.

It's an odd one. Getting in close and pounding Jones with uppercuts and body shots was definitely working for DC (a shame he just seemed to crumble and fail to keep it up), but he wasn't having it all his own way in the clinch; Jones was quite effectively using shoulder strikes to throw him off rhythm for a big part of it. I don't doubt though that if DC had stuck to his guns, he would've won; he was landing some very meaty shots to Jones' midsection, and Jones is not exactly thick arouns there. I don't think he could've sustained that prolonged an assault.

• Paid Members

It sold out without a main event announced? Thats nuts.

It's not completely sold out but they've done a fucking lot on first days sales. This is the dream for the UFC (or any promoter tbf), when you can sell out on the brand name alone.

It sold out without a main event announced? Thats nuts.

It's not completely sold out but they've done a fucking lot on first days sales. This is the dream for the UFC (or any promoter tbf), when you can sell out on the brand name alone.

Cant get any tickets on axs.com and ticketmaster are still selling £200 tickets, all the other price bands are sold out. must only be a handful left if axs aren't showing anything

• Paid Members

I'm not saying this as I said that without the main event ticket sales would be bleak, but half these tickets have been immediately put on re seller sites. 

God knows if these are legit, especially after reports emerged of companies bypassing the general sale and placing them directly on these markets to maximize profits. 

• Paid Members

I'm not saying this as I said that without the main event ticket sales would be bleak, but half these tickets have been immediately put on re seller sites. 

God knows if these are legit, especially after reports emerged of companies bypassing the general sale and placing them directly on these markets to maximize profits. 

There's definitely direct allocations (it's Live Nation, they're the worst for it) but this applies to all gigs, events etc. The only way you can tell if something's legit sold out is on the day when you can see how many empty seats there are. .

• Paid Members

Joanna/Michelle Waterson is rumored to headlining the London show.

Where you reading that Egg? Can't find anything about it.

Good fight if true. And I'd have loved to have seen Jedrzejczyk fight live. But they've left it so late announcing a main event that I haven't bothered saving money or making any plans for a trip to London. Oh well.

If the fight comes off though, it's a good main event for Fight Pass. Just a shame for Waterson. Albuquerque to London is a long way to travel to get battered.

Archived