The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone pick up on the story that the UFC have let Misha Cirkunov go after failed contract negotioations? I know there's been a few guys with decent profiles let go recently but Cirkunov might be the most surprising. He was a top 10 lightheavyweight, 4-0 with the UFC and a popular name in Canada yet the UFC didn't give him what he wanted. Here's a quote from Dana White...

"“I met with Misha and his wife, and good people and everything else, but he ended up really flaking out on the deal,” White said. “So I’m not interested. I’m done. He knows I’m done. I made it very clear I’m done.”

Lorenz Larkin finds himself in a similar position, Joseph Duffy being the other real notable name.

Really feels like there's a bit of a momentum shift in MMA in terms of fighters just accepting what the UFC offers them.

Aldo vs Holloway is a done deal for UFC 212, to be held in Rio de Janiero.

Have to say that the UFC are more than making up for a really weak 208 card with this upcoming run of PPV's.

UFC 209: Woodley vs Wonderboy 2, Khabib vs Ferguson, Overeem vs Hunt

UFC 210: DC vs Rumble 2, Weidman vs Mousasi

UFC 211: Miocic vs JDS 2, Werdum vs Rothwell

UFC 212: Aldo vs Holloway

And that's not even factoring in fights like Belfort/Gastelum, Barboza/Dariush, Waterson/Namajunas that are already announced. And even on top of that, there's fights that are simply awaiting confirmation. JJ/Andrade, Bisping/Romero, Dillashaw/Garbrandt. And then​ by the time you've wrapped all this up, you've got McGregor and Jones to factor in.

I thought it would be immensely tough to top the run of 205-207, but that lineup could well blow that run of shows out of the water. Hugely exciting stuff.

The standard of these Fight Night main events is varying constantly at the moment. You have some corkers like Zombie/Bermudez, Yair/BJ and Belfort/Gastelum mixed in with some really poor ones (I'm looking at you Manuwa/Anderson).

Surely Swanson gets past Lobov with ease? Cub looked like a killer against Choi, where Artem looked one-dimensional as ever against Ishiihara. I wouldn't even think Lobov has a punchers chance, because Swanson breezes through him in a striking exchange. In a Featherweight division where there's a huge amount of options for Swanson, I really wouldn't have expected Lobov.

Edgar/Zombie and Yair/Choi next please.

• Paid Members

Swanson vs Lobov will probably be decent but it baffles me why they've gone with that. Especially as a main event. I quite like Lobov but he really shouldn't be main eventing anything. Unless it's a Fight Pass show in Ireland or something. And it's still a stretch him headlining then.

Swanson was riding such a high as well coming off a win in the FOTY against Superboy last year. He deserves better than this. I'd have gone Swanson vs Yair or Swanson vs Zombie. Those two would've been way better options and I've just plucked them off the top of my head now. I bet if you look down the Top 10 at featherweight there's a bunch of potentially incredible fights they could've booked for Cub, that would've been a) better fights and b) more worthy main events. Head scratcher.

Who wouldn't want to see that?

Superboy's remaining brain cells? 

Seriously, I would be up for the rematch. The first fight was one of the best fights in the division's history. However, by the third round, it crossed my mind how many years were been taken off Choi's career. It was like the Cain vs JDS fights, just sped up and more competitive. 

• Paid Members

I want to see the all Korean battle of Zombie vs Superboy now as well. Not only would the fight be nuts, I'm just picturing the amazing posters and stuff you could do with those two. Proper DC style shit.

It's mad how popular Zombie is when you think about it. The man speaks no English. It's all based on his crazy fighting style and him and his people marketing the fuck out of the Korean Zombie gimmick. Did the UFC run any shows in Asia last year? It's all a blur, I can't remember. You'd have to think they'll be wanting to get back into that market now Zombie's back on the scene and they've got the likes of Choi and Michelle Waterson. They could promote the shit out of those three over there.

Aye, pretty much every MMA fan loves a bit of Korean Zombie. Depending on how his career pans out, he could become an even bigger name. There's something very organic about his appeal. 

The last show in Japan I can remember was Barnett vs Nelson in 2015. There might have been another one since then though. 

Archived