The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Thing is, we've been saying that for years and the UFC is still selling out the o2.

The UFC are selling out the o2 massively due to the sport going through a bit of boom period because of the popularity of Mcgregor and Rousey.

Before this current period a lot of the cards over here weren't selling out and I remember tickets being handed out en mass during weighs in's the day before the card.

The UFC can't rely on the brand itself selling out an arena like the o2 as eventually the weak cards will eventually piss their core market off.

Wasnt the UFC running a little more regular over here then though? Thing is, if if ticket sales drop they'll just make the cards slightly better again. It's all peaks and valleys with this game.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were running Nottingham and charging London prices, I think they see sense and decided to mainly run London, with a Belfast, Glasgow, Dublin show tacked on.

I would love to see them getting a good TV deal in Poland & Russia (they want more money from TV there) and those markets are hot with good fighters and then maybe expand to Germany, they could run shows every other month in Europe or easily or more if the money was there.

They have ran our shows on US TV over there, so it's not a violence thing and a similar sized channel NBCSN does about 500,000 and some of those games air at 6am on the west coast, while MLS gets half that in prime time.

• Paid Members

Nate and Eddie makes sense, I guess. Use some of that McGregor rub.

Anyway, I'm super excited for Stipe v JDS 2. Werdum is getting buggered over, like, but JDS was the last person to beat Stipe and I think both fighters are better versions of themselves since last time they squared off. Very much one of those fights where either man winning is ok with me.

I have just noticed CollinBollocks' sig. Fuggin' tremendous.

I very much agree.

It's also Heavyweight MMA: where predictive power is useless and current form is often contradicted. JDS is an underdog on paper, but he could very easily complete an unlikely comeback by regaining the title. He looked ready for the pipe and slippers after the Overeem fight

• Paid Members

Looks like Werdum vs Rothwell at 211 as well now. And Frankie Edgar wants on that card and is after a fight with Max Holloway! Can't see us getting all of these fights on the one card but...

Stipe Miocic vs Junior Dos Santos 2

Max Holloway vs Frankie Edgar

Nate Diaz vs Eddie Alvarez

Fabricio Werdum vs Ben Rothwell

Fucking hell.

I'm still hoping we get Aldo vs Holloway next though. Once again it's shit for Edgar being left out in the cold but Aldo vs Holloway needs sorting out first so we can get one champ at 145.

They'll move one of those fights to another card. No way they will blow their load with one card. Remember, the July 4th card - which is usually massive - is only 2 months after that card. I wouldn't be surprised if they held off Max vs Edgar until then (or perhaps Aldo)

I think that card might still get the other three fights thought, which would make it a killer show. 

Edit: Although Diaz is still not playing ball with Dana - http://www.mmaweekly.com/nate-diaz-responds-to-dana-whites-ufc-fight-offer

Can't be bothered with Nate but nice seeing MMAWeekly getting a story out there, they were doing it before all the current big sites except Sherdog, plus they had a fight rumour section which was pretty handy back then as Pride were prone to making fights official last minute.

• Paid Members

Check out these promos. For me these are THE two fights that need to happen in 2017.

Conor vs Khabib;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=GxHmHXwC-2M

Bisping vs Romero;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=JTBePzZBqNk

Of course, Khabib has to get by Ferguson first. And Bisping just had some surgery on his knee. But if all goes well hopefully we'll get these two fights this year.

And Rogan's Yoel Romero impression at the end there is spot on :laugh:

Can't be bothered with Nate but nice seeing MMAWeekly getting a story out there, they were doing it before all the current big sites except Sherdog, plus they had a fight rumour section which was pretty handy back then as Pride were prone to making fights official last minute.

Aye, they were brilliant for that. Not just with Pride cards either. They always allowed you to see how UFC cards were taking shaping. I visited it more than any other site when I first got into MMA. 

Edit: More good news

“(Aldo) is going to fight Max Holloway,” White said. “That fight’s done, too. I don’t remember what date it’s on for, but yeah it’s done. It’s a done deal. We got that fight done last week.” FloCombat.com reported on Friday that Aldo vs. Holloway will take place at UFC 212 on June 3 in Rio de Janeiro.

• Paid Members

Sweet! That's the fight. Add that to the must see fights this year for me. I hope Aldo doesn't get injured because this is the most fascinating fight at 145 at the moment. Doing it in Brazil is a nice touch as well and should really add to the atmosphere. And if Aldo does get hurt, it would suck but Holloway vs Frankie Edgar would be the perfect backup plan.

I was getting a little bit worried when the year started and the UFC were announcing pretty much nothing in the way of big fights. But UFC 209 is looking great and now over the last few weeks we've had Cormier vs Rumble 2, Miocic vs JDS 2, Bisping vs Romero, Aldo vs Holloway, Garbrandt vs Dillashaw, Diaz vs Alvarez all confirmed or at least heavily rumoured. Nunes vs Shevchenko 2 and Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade are probably happening next as well, love those fights. And now it looks like Cyborg might be back sooner than expected to face the Holm/De Randamie winner as well.

Things are really looking up. And you'd have to assume Demian Maia will fight the Woodley/Wonderboy winner. There's Robbie Lawler, Jorge Masvidal, Donald Cerrone, Korean Zombie, Korean Superboy, Francis Ngannou, John Lineker etc etc who are all currently without a fight booked.

The beauty of Aldo vs Holloway is that it's a proper 50/50 fight. I have no idea who's going to win. I usually have a strong hunch one way or another. For example, I think Wonderboy will edge out Woodley - despite it being very much up in the air. But with this one I am clueless. 

Archived