The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Ken, he's a bit mental but you like to think his heart is in the right place.

They said on Sherdog radio years ago that he is a class act away from the cage, and a joy to interview. They had him on just after Mayhem Miller. Let's just say there was a difference in maturity between the two.

Austin had him on his podcast a few years ago and he was really level headed. Nice guy. Very frank about everything including his own faults.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Aisling Daly has retired due to a brain scan showing abnormalities. Hopefully she's alright. She was never going to be a UFC champ or anything but she always seems like a genuinely nice person whenever I've seen her interviewed. And a lot of people don't realise she was a bit of a pioneer for women's MMA, especially on the UK/Ireland scene. Her and Rosi Sexton were repping us back when women's MMA was an occasional novelty on Cage Rage or EliteXC.

• Paid Members

Aisling Daly has retired due to a brain scan showing abnormalities. Hopefully she's alright. She was never going to be a UFC champ or anything but she always seems like a genuinely nice person whenever I've seen her interviewed. And a lot of people don't realise she was a bit of a pioneer for women's MMA, especially on the UK/Ireland scene. Her and Rosi Sexton were repping us back when women's MMA was an occasional novelty on Cage Rage or EliteXC.

Similar thing to Paddy Holohan then. Weird that 2 fighters from SBG have had to retire due to unusual health things.

• Paid Members

John Kavanagh announced mandatory brain scans for all SBG fighters a few weeks ago. I suspected they'd get a few fighters with something showing up, so I would imagine this is the first.

I've said it before, but Aisling Daly is the nicest fighter I've ever met. She seemed genuinely thrilled with the attention she got at that Conor/Aldo Press event and couldn't have done more for the fans in attendance. Her entrance and performance at UFC Dublin 2015 will forever be one of my favourite moments too. Listen to that crowd one minute in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pgK5g3rE2H4

• Paid Members

How many fights are currently booked? 10? 11? Maybe it's the start of cost cutting the cards by reducing total fights and they are using that as a fight for another card not yet filled out.

• Paid Members

Artem Lobov was apparently campaigning to get a fight on the London card. Ideally against Cub Swanson.

Why the fuck did they not book that! I'd take that as a main event.

Swanson would butcher Lobov.

• Paid Members

Yeah I would imagine it's definitely the full card. In the short term they may get away with these weak cards but once people start anticipating weak cards I feel it's going to bite them on the ass.

• Paid Members

Thing is, we've been saying that for years and the UFC is still selling out the o2.

The UFC are selling out the o2 massively due to the sport going through a bit of boom period because of the popularity of Mcgregor and Rousey.

Before this current period a lot of the cards over here weren't selling out and I remember tickets being handed out en mass during weighs in's the day before the card. 

The UFC can't rely on the brand itself selling out an arena like the o2 as eventually the weak cards will eventually piss their core market off. 

• Paid Members

That's true, they do well most times they come here with weaker cards than they would normally put on in the states. I was coming more from the angle of a possibility of weaker cards consistently accross the board this year after last year having pretty stacked cards.

That may be more down to the continual contract negotiations that seem to be going on with a lot of fighters, it may be a concious effort to spread fights more, it could be a lack of favours from fighters, or a combination of all of the above.

It could be temporary as well with a lot of fighters not being available all at once due to circumstance.

• Paid Members

Worth remembering that arena's like Manchester & the O2 are much bigger than most. If they run at these huge arenas their break even will be well below sell out. If they can run at the  likes of the O2 in Dublin or Newcastle Arena which, are half the size (less than half for Dublin) & turn a profit then any concerns of attendance sizes for these shows might be a unfounded.

Archived