The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I don't know what it is but the Bisping vs GSP thing has never really grabbed me. If GSP comes back I'd much rather see him fight Woodley/Thompson or Lawler. And if a fight at 185 is on the cards, I'd still rather see GSP vs Anderson, even in 2017, than the Bisping fight.

Don't get me wrong, if they announced Bisping vs GSP I'd get into it. But I don't want to see that if it means we don't get Bisping vs Romero. I get Bisping's talk of wanting a huge payday, he's probably only got a few years left fighting at this level realistically. But myself, Bisping vs Romero is the fight I want to see and the one that needs to happen. With Jacare fighting the winner. I don't really want anything fucking with that. GSP's return will be massive whoever he fights but I think welterweight is where the best fights are to be made with him. Or, if they can make it happen, give us that Anderson Silva fight.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, according to Bisping himself, he's not loaded. Comfortable, sure, but he said he certainly can't retire on the money he's earned. As he put it "I've never had a 10 million dollar pay day... I've never had a million dollar pay day".

His reason for wanting a multi million pay day is for his kids future. He also said he's not asking for Conor money, but rather what he feels he's earned. As he pointed out, Woodley got some of that McGregor cheddar, so why can't he? I agree with him. If one fighter on the roster deserves some Red Panty Money it's Bisping.

Well, according to Bisping himself, he's not loaded. Comfortable, sure, but he said he certainly can't retire on the money he's earned. As he put it "I've never had a 10 million dollar pay day... I've never had a million dollar pay day".

His reason for wanting a multi million pay day is for his kids future. He also said he's not asking for Conor money, but rather what he feels he's earned. As he pointed out, Woodley got some of that McGregor cheddar, so why can't he? I agree with him. If one fighter on the roster deserves some Red Panty Money it's Bisping.

He has probably never had a million dollar payday but he will have come close recently. The lowest he is estimated at online is 3 million dollars net worth. As seen on recent UFC shows he lives in a fucking huge house in America. He and his kids do not seem short of money

When guys and girls moan about money in the UFC I feel for them most of the time but Bisping wanting a Conor type payday is abit too much for me when there are fighters in the UFC getting shafted and broke.

• Paid Members

It's a catch 22 scenario here. On one hand Bisping is only looking out for his family but as a champion he needs to be fighting the best of his division. If he wants to go this route then he really needs to drop the belt.

The problem is he won't get the possible GSP fight if he's not the champion and therefore he can't drop the belt.

Realistically there's only GSP who could give him the pay cheque he craves.

Personally I think he knows he's getting chewed up by the elite of 185 and is milking this for all its worth.

I know on the MMA hour it was mentioned that he's proved throughout his career they he doesn't duck anyone, but he's now in the twilight of his career. He's nearing 40.

• Paid Members

He has probably never had a million dollar payday but he will have come close recently. The lowest he is estimated at online is 3 million dollars net worth. As seen on recent UFC shows he lives in a fucking huge house in America. He and his kids do not seem short of money

When guys and girls moan about money in the UFC I feel for them most of the time but Bisping wanting a Conor type payday is abit too much for me when there are fighters in the UFC getting shafted and broke.

Those things are very very rough guesses, though. Maybe he's earned 3M over a long career, say, but the tax man loves a chunk of that, then he's got his lifestyle on top of it. Even if he has that 300k+ plus deal, it's not been for the full 10 years of his UFC run.

Also, Bisping doesn't want a "Conor type payday". He's after a "Woodley's co-main on a Conor show type payday".

Bisping has been getting a reported 700'000 plus a fight. Yes the tax man takes a cut and yes thats not Conor money. Thats is insane money for someone like him who grew up working class though. If he is not set for life you wonder about his spending.

Type in "Highest paid UFC fighters" in google. See where Bisping is. Its not comfortable in my eyes. It is loaded.

• Paid Members

Bear in mind he and his family live in the US. He probably wants his kids to go to university, which isn't cheap there. Additionally, there's no NHS, so on top of the money he's probably has to pay out so far, he's probably also trying to make sure his family are OK on that score. And if his wife is a home-maker, he's having to earn for both of them.

• Paid Members

Plus he’s likely paying the mortgages of his relatives back here in England. He’s come from fuck all & I imagine wants to improve the lives of as many of his loved ones as possible. I know I would.

I honestly don’t get the criticism of this at all. I might be a little biased as I’m a long-time fan but this isn’t a case of him trying to hold up the division, go into business for himself or any other stuff that affects the sport. He’s been a model employee for years, never ducked fights, done a shit tonne of media, numerous TUF’s & pretty much been the ambassador for the UK. He’s fought whoever they’ve put in front of him when he could’ve been playing hardball & demanding bigger fights (I remember him saying in an interview that he didn’t really want to fight Denis Kang & wanted a better ‘name’ but that’s who the UFC picked & then so be it).

There’s nothing wrong with him publicly asking for GSP, Diaz or whoever. It doesn’t mean shit. If Dana says ‘nope it’s Romero’ I guarantee Bisping will get on with it & will be 100% focussed on that fight. He earned everything he’s got & at this stage of his career has fuck all left to prove.

• Paid Members

How can anyone support Romero over Bisping. Romero is as dirty as they come. I fully get why Bisping is trying to cash in on the belt, he knows his days are numbered as champ, so why not try and make as much cash out of it as possible whilst you can? It's not like GSP vs Bisping is a bad fight for fans ... it's win win for everyone except Romero.

• Paid Members

Lesnar is a hustler. Retiring now just means he doesn't have to do any random piss tests. It doesn't mean he won't fight again, for the right price.

I would be surprised if he gets another shot, though, because his last fight was WWE doing him a favour because they booked him for more dates than he was contracted to do. Unless WWE take the piss again, they have no reason to cave into his demands.

Also, Brandon Gibson was on twitter earlier claiming the UFC have told camps/coaches they need to pay for Fight Pass now, if they want fighter footage, as tape will no longer be made available. Lovely bit of penny pinching.

The interesting thing to note here is that Lesnar retiring suspends his 1 year suspension. In theory he was suspended up until July 2017 so he has another 5/6 months to serve on this. If he ever did decide to return, he would have to serve another 5/6 months suspension whilst also being subjected to random drug tests. 

• Paid Members

Plus he’s likely paying the mortgages of his relatives back here in England. He’s come from fuck all & I imagine wants to improve the lives of as many of his loved ones as possible. I know I would.

I honestly don’t get the criticism of this at all. I might be a little biased as I’m a long-time fan but this isn’t a case of him trying to hold up the division, go into business for himself or any other stuff that affects the sport. He’s been a model employee for years, never ducked fights, done a shit tonne of media, numerous TUF’s & pretty much been the ambassador for the UK. He’s fought whoever they’ve put in front of him when he could’ve been playing hardball & demanding bigger fights (I remember him saying in an interview that he didn’t really want to fight Denis Kang & wanted a better ‘name’ but that’s who the UFC picked & then so be it).

There’s nothing wrong with him publicly asking for GSP, Diaz or whoever. It doesn’t mean shit. If Dana says ‘nope it’s Romero’ I guarantee Bisping will get on with it & will be 100% focussed on that fight. He earned everything he’s got & at this stage of his career has fuck all left to prove.

Spot on.

On the last paragraph, Bisping said on the MMA Hour he realises he's probably fighting Romero next. As Ebb points out, he's trying his luck.

• Paid Members

When Woodley publicly tried getting a fight with GSP and Diaz instead of his number 1 contender he got pelters from MMA fans. I understand Bisping is just trying his luck I just find it annoying, just like when Woodley did it.

I don't recall Woodley getting flack at all for requesting GSP. GSP rightfully walks into a welterweight title fight for me. The guy never lost it.

Woodley got shit for trying to get a title with Nick Diaz though.

• Paid Members

What I don't understand is why people would have a problem with GSP walking straight back into a title shot. He absolutely should be, in the Welterweight division at least. If the right fight is there for him in the middleweight division then I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

You have the best Welterweight the company has ever had, who took a hiatus without losing the belt, and who moves numbers and if he decides he wants to come back and wants to fight for the title then thats what should be happening. It's the right move in a sporting and business sense.

The last thing GSP should be doing is fighting a mid ranked fighter and possibly losing as all that serves to do is make him look washed up. If he loses to the current champion he is still in a position to fight contenders and big names in multiple divisions. Anybody that holds the belt at Lightweight, Welterweight and Middleweight should be calling him out, as if they don't then they just hate money. His return fight is the one guaranteed huge money spinner that he has in him. The rest will depend on the result of the return fight and could be way bigger should he win in a comeback fight. Nobody should be getting flack for calling out Saint Pierre. They are trying their luck certainly, but who knows, if Saint Pierre comes back as good as he left then he beats Woodley and Bisping in my book, and gives Conor a hell of a run for his money. It's all about how much of those abilities he still has left.

Archived