The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

In fact, if I was him I'd tell the UFC that I was only fighting twice a year, on Super Bowl weekend and New Years Eve. Prolong his career, make the fights matter and build anticipation.

Fucking hell, two fights in a month? Even Mighty Mac couldn't manage that, could he?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ha, yeah I think if McGregor was to fight only twice a year it'd be the big July 4th and December PPVs. They're the two I see as the Big Two anyway. The Super Bowl weekend PPV hasn't been that stacked the last couple of years, has it? I can't remember.

• Paid Members

Got online in the presale this morning and noted down the ticket prices for the London show:

tickets.png

The service fees are always annoying, but they're now an absolute piss take. How can they increase as the ticket price increases? Does it take more effort to produce and send out an expensive ticket than it does a cheap one? Absolute scam. On that bottom bracket ticket you're paying nearly 20% fees on top of the face value.

Edit: Reading that the presale tickets sold out in around an hour but that there are already 600+ tickets available on resale sites at 4x face value. There's no way they are all from touts buying to re-sell. Not that quickly. Piss take. Something needs to be done legally about the whole ticket thing in this country now.

In fact, if I was him I'd tell the UFC that I was only fighting twice a year, on Super Bowl weekend and New Years Eve. Prolong his career, make the fights matter and build anticipation.

Fucking hell, two fights in a month? Even Mighty Mac couldn't manage that, could he?

Fucking autocorrect! I meant Super Bowl weekend or New years eve, as those are the two biggest shows usually, right? He could easily do one of them and maybe a New York show or something.

Twice a year is more than enough.

• Paid Members

Fucking autocorrect! I meant Super Bowl weekend or New years eve, as those are the two biggest shows usually, right? He could easily do one of them and maybe a New York show or something.

I call bullshit. That doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of your sentence. You would have said "In fact, if I was him I'd tell the UFC that I was only fighting twice a year on one of two occasions per year, on Super Bowl weekend and or New Years Eve.

Also how does a typo of "or" autocorrect to "and".

:nerd:  :nerd:  :D  :D

• Paid Members

Just got an email with 90 day free trial of Fight Pass. Might be a single use code, but just in case:

1. Go to UFCFIGHTPASS.COM
  2. Click on START YOUR 7-DAY FREE TRIAL
  3. Click CONTINUE
  4. Create an account or sign in
  5. Enter Promotion code: CWT4V6TNCBBT and click CHECK
  6. Click SUBMIT

Good through Feb 7. You do have to provide card details, so it's the old "hope they forget to cancel before the trial ends" deal.

• Paid Members

Cheers, John. Will sign up for that, much appreciated.

Edit, pretty sure David is a big fan of US sports so I'm confident he knows when the Super Bowl is played.

Sounds like something David would say ...

:p

Nah, I'm just messing about really.

• Paid Members

Potential great card for 210, with Weidman v Mousasi also confirmed.

DC is one of the all time greats, but I really fancy Rumble to adapt better going into this. DC showed what sort of chin he had in the last fight, but with the extra time Rumble has put into the gym after the last fight feel through, you fancy he's worked double hard making sure he doesn't get mauled in the same way again. If DC makes it through Rumble again then you can argue he's the best LW of all time not called Jon Jones.

Whatever the result, Jones has a hard task on his return.

• Paid Members

I'm the opposite. I think Cormier might just be one of the few who has Rumble's number. He's just the right combination of granite tough and high level wrestler to be a big problem for Rumble. Of course, Rumble always has a punchers chance against anyone. And his punchers chance is better than most. But I think him vs DC is always going to be a thing where if Rumble doesn't land the bomb early, DC runs away with it. Fuck, Rumble DID land it early last time and Cormier ate it and came back to win. For as terrifying and scary an offensive fighter as Anthony Johnson is, under all that muscle he's still that guy we saw fall apart mentally at 170 and 185 when guys like Koscheck and Belfort wouldn't go away early. It's easy to forget when you see him knocking beasts like Glover Teixeira and Jimi Manuwa dead, but the right guy can still make Rumble crumble. And that was evident in the first Cormier fight when Rumble started feeling sorry for himself and making little distress signals when things started getting rough.

Unless DC gets absolutely cracked with a sledgehammer of a shot, which could happen, I see the fight looking like a repeat of the first fight. I think if Cormier gets through round one, he's already going to have rattled Rumble mentally just by still being there in his face.

Edit- although I've got to say I'm conflicted on this one. I love Cormier so in that sense I'd love to see him win. But if the winner is supposed to fight Jon Jones, I'd much rather see Jones vs Rumble before we see Jones vs Cormier 2.

I call bullshit. That doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of your sentence. You would have said "In fact, if I was him I'd tell the UFC that I was only fighting twice a year on one of two occasions per year, on Super Bowl weekend and or New Years Eve.

Also how does a typo of "or" autocorrect to "and".

:nerd:  :nerd:  :D  :D

If I'd just got it plain wrong, why wouldn't I admit that? Not knowing when the Super Bowl is isn't something to be ashamed of, is it? I'd have just said that if it were the case, as I'm not an NFL fan.

The main point I was trying to make is that twice a year is enough for him now. He doesn't need to be fighting as much as he has been of late.

Potential great card for 210, with Weidman v Mousasi also confirmed.

Lovely stuff.

Mousasi is no soft touch. The last time I saw him fight he took apart Belfort without much bother, and he's since avenged his loss to Hall. If I recall rightly, he was also dominating the first fight with Hall before he got caught. I think Weidman's wrestling might be a little too much for Mousasi, and he'll grind out a submission late in the fight - but he'll probably face some hairy moments along the way. 

Archived