The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

It's just him wanting a big pay day, he can't just start another combat sport without the UFC's blessing. The Conor rematch doesn't seem likely just now, so they can't really give him a money fight, probably the best they could do would be Cerrone at 170, the relevant lightweights are booked and they aren't big money fights either.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What guesses have people got for the main event slot on the London card? Tickets on sale next week, so we might hear something soon.

Mousasi is a good bet, surely.

Mousasi vs Weidman

Mousasi vs Rockhold?

• Paid Members

I think Weidman might go up to Light Heavyweight. I could see Mousasi fight Whittaker next though. Whether that would be on the London card or not I'm not sure. Saying that, the timing would probably work for both guys.

• Paid Members

I think Weidman might go up to Light Heavyweight. I could see Mousasi fight Whittaker next though. Whether that would be on the London card or not I'm not sure. Saying that, the timing would probably work for both guys.

Would Mousasi want to fight someone below him in the rankings? He's one big win away from a title shot, surely he wants a top 5 guy to beat so that he can get the shot after whoever fights Bisping next.

• Paid Members

Mousasi seems to be who everyone thinks might headline London, he's posting stuff online about people ducking him though so who knows?

I think they must be struggling for a headliner, it surely would have been announced by now if they had it locked down.

• Paid Members

That's the flaw in it right enough. What way is the division lying at the minute? Jacare is fighting soon so it won't be him. Like you've said it could be Weidman or Rockhold, is Rockhold's contract situation resolved? Weidman is coming off two losses and if I'm the UFC I don't want him fighting Mousasi as they need to rebuild Weidman if they can and that's a fight than can derail Mousasi without making Weidman an automatic candidate for the next title shot. It's a hell of an interesting division that's for sure.

Maybe the London card stays as is as they know people will buy tickets regardless, though it'll not do well in the ratings in the States with that lineup.

• Paid Members

If you go down the rankings, you've got:

1. Bisping

2. Romero

Romero is coming off a win over Weidman and called out Bisping in the cage afterwards. They cut to Bisping and did the build. Let's assume they fight next.

3. Jacare

4. Weidman

5. Mousasi

6. Whittaker

7. Silva

8. Brunson

9. Belfort

10. Gastelum

13. Tim Boetsch

Jacare (3) is fighting Boetsch (13) next. Weidman (4) is without a fight but coming off two loses. Silva (7) is fighting Brunson (8) at 208. Mousasi beat Belfort (9) in October and Belfort (9) is booked against Gastelum (10) in March at Fight Night 106.

There's nobody for Mousasi to fight except Weidman, Rockhold and Whittaker. It makes no sense for him to accept a fight with Whittaker and I think the points about handing Weidman another potential loss / Weidman moving up a weight are strong ones. It's got to be Rockhold, Weidman as an outside chance or not fight on the London card.

• Paid Members

As far as I'm aware Rockhold is still recovering from his knee injury that kept him out of fight with Jacare.

He posted this only a week and a half ago on twitter:-

"Nothing I want more than to fight right now. But ACL tears don't heal in a matter of weeks. Soon as I can kick, I will sign a fight."

I don't understand the thought behind Mousasi not fighting Whittaker, someone also on a winning streak and ranked 1 place below him. If that's the case we would never have a fight as someone is always ranked lower than someone else.

To me Mousasi vs Whittaker is a fine headliner which would elevate Mousasi if he won. It would put him above Weidman in the rankings as well and open up a likely number 1 contender fight with either Rockhold or Jacare.

• Paid Members

To me Mousasi vs Whittaker is a fine headliner which would elevate Mousasi if he won. It would put him above Weidman in the rankings as well and open up a likely number 1 contender fight with either Rockhold or Jacare.

True, but if he beat a top 5 guy then he likely gets the winner of Bisping / Romero.

He was in the position he's in now when he beat Belfort and he took the Uriah Hall fight when it would basically do nothing to progress him towards the belt. I dunno, he's been vocal recently about wanting a shot and, to me, beating Whittaker doesn't get him that much closer but does servery cost him if he loses.

Maybe I just don't want that to be the London main event. :p

That being said, the scale of the Whittaker fight is much closer to what you'd expect for a card in London. More so than a big name like Rockhold or Weidman (injury aside, obviously).

Mousasi is on his last fight on his deal, apparently Anderson Silva or the UFC wanted a bigger name for Silva (but chose Brunson instead) It probably makes sense to keep him away from Anderson Silva as it gives him massive leverage if he wins because you know Bellator would want him a little more with that name on his resume.

Whitaker apparently wants to fight in May or June according to Mousasi, so that fight probably won't happen.

He was also saying heavyweights haven't been able to take him down in training, so Weidman or Rockhold would have to stand with him and he's the best striker in the division.

• Paid Members

It's a bit awkward then given his contract situation. Until that gets resolved there could be a bit of an impasse.

If he hadn't only got one fight left, and Bisping/Yoel happened in March then he might be able to wait until the summer and get a title fight without fighting in the interim.

However Bisping/Yoel probably will be a bit later than that, and I'd be suprised if Mousasi waits until the autumn to fight again.

With Rockhold's injury, barring a recovery in the next few weeks, it may well leave Whittaker as the only option in the March/April/Early May range. It'd be a really interesting fight too I think.

• Paid Members

anyone else starting to feel that the UFC may push the Brad Pickett/Henry Briones fight as the main event for London? There's around 11 fights confirmed at the moment, which makes the fight card near enough complete give or take 1-2 fights.

anyone else starting to feel that the UFC may push the Brad Pickett/Henry Briones fight as the main event for London? There's around 11 fights confirmed at the moment, which makes the fight card near enough complete give or take 1-2 fights.

If that was the main event it would probaly be one of the worst main events in fight night history. Dont think it will be myself, they will announce the main and co main event. Lets face it tickets will sell out without a fight announced

Archived