The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Eddie Hearn supposedly is looking at breaking into MMA over here. Interesting even if it's very early days. Hearns probably got the right platform in Sky to build on it but surely as soon as anyone was offered a UFC deal they'd be off?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4095298/Boxing-supremo-Eddie-Hearn-lines-MMA-admitting-eyes-opened-Conor-McGregor.html

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Random tidbit, but someone just pointed out that not a single current UFC champion has a fight booked right now. That's just mental (especially with more champs than ever), I wonder when the last time that happened was?

Another weird one is that only one male UFC champ has defended his belt more than once. DJ.

• Paid Members

RDA on why he's moving weight divisions. The highlighted part is both worrying and interesting.

"What made me move up to welterweight was all the effort I was doing, to look at my health and have a good life,” dos Anjos told MMA Fighting. "I wanted to stop sacrificing so much. For how much I was making, it’s not worth doing all this effort and destroy my body.

"Most of the fighters have 10 or 15 fights in this division. I have 27 fights in this division. When I was 16 years old, I weighed 176 pounds. It’s just too much for me. I already got the belt. And for (the money) I’m making now, it's not worth it. One day, if there’s a superfight or something that gives me good money, I can make this sacrifice and go back to 155 again, but not now."

According to the former champion, cutting down to 155 pounds became such a difficult task that he passed out multiple times before his UFC Fight Night 90 clash with Alvarez in July 2016.

"My body changed between 2014 and 2015,” he said. "I fought five times in 11 months, during that run for the title. I don’t see anyone doing this. I see Cerrone doing this, but I don’t see other doing this. I walk around with 187, 198 pounds, easy, and to cut this weight five times in 11 months was too much.

"I eat well, but after that I felt that my body got bigger. I was holding the weight more. It was tough to make weight against Cerrone, and I passed out three times making weight for the Eddie Alvarez fight. One day you get to the limit."

The Brazilian talent hasn't competed in the welterweight division in a decade, but doesn't expect to feel the difference facing bigger competition inside the Octagon.

"I don’t think 15 pounds will make such a big difference,” dos Anjos said. "The other guys are bigger and stronger, for sure, but I’m used to training with guys that big. I also think that they are big, but they cut weight. They will go through something I won’t. I'll have to cut weight for 170, but I'll cut less. I fought well at 155, but I don't think I ever came close to my best at 155. I think I’ll get to my best at 170 pounds.”

dos Anjos hopes to be back in action in late April or early May, and his plan is simple: add the 170-pound championship to his résumé.

"I’m a former champion, but I’m not thinking about rankings right now, if I’m close to the belt,” dos Anjos said. "There are other fighters ahead of me. Demian Maia deserves to be the next for the belt. I'll quietly move up, as always, and when the opportunity comes, I’ll embrace it. I’m here to fight the best.

"There are several fighters I could fight right now,” he added. "I never called anyone out and won’t do it now, but I’m here to fight the best. A top 5, a top 10, I’ll fight anyone."

• Paid Members

Yeah, Rogan said recently on his podcast that RDA passed out and was completely unconscious for three minutes before the Alvarez fight. Scary stuff. And it's seems worryingly common amongst Brazilian fighters for some reason. There's the whole Cyborg mess, John Lineker's history with missing weight, the Nova Uniao horror stories with Barao struggling, Gadelha pulling out of TUF 20 because of a weight issue and a fighter actually dying in Brazil due to the effects of cutting weight.

I'm not convinced that RDA is going to do very well at 170 but I'm still glad he's making the move if the cut to 155 is that rough on him. I like that Aldo's been talking more about going up to lightweight as well recently. Hopefully fighters are starting to recognise that big weight cuts are stupid and for every bit of size advantage that comes with it, there's a high price to pay for that.

• Paid Members

There seems to be a movement, however small, with top fighters moving up a division to reduce the need of the weight cut. It's one of Rogan's new subjects he's talking to death about on his podcast too.

Whatever happens at WW, it's definitely the right move if he's passing out due to the brutal cut.

There are rehydration tests they do in American high schools to stop kids cutting weight, granted nobody is buying tickets for these things, so telling a kid he can't compete isn't going to hurt.

Even if they had these, guys like Kevin Gasteleum & Johny Hendricks are greedy bastards and probably wouldn't have the will power to diet down to say 185 lb or there abouts and would still need to cut weight (I presume most would need to cut a few pounds if everyone moved up a weight class)

The UFC does weigh everyone at the start of the week and if it's a big cut they try and monitor it.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, I never thought I'd read a Meryl Streep/MMA related article during my lifetime, but here we are and they're everywhere.

That part of her speech was clunky like, but you would think she said MMA fans shag their sisters while grabbing their dear old Mum by the fanny, the way some are carrying on. Her speech writer thinks MMA is rubbish; fair enough.

• Paid Members

That part of her speech was clunky like, but you would think she said MMA fans shag their sisters while grabbing their dear old Mum by the fanny, the way some are carrying on. Her speech writer thinks MMA is rubbish; fair enough.

It's more to do with the fact that it also has 'arts' in the name. It wouldn't have worked if she said 'Nascar'.

• Paid Members

don't really understand the problem with the Meryl Streep thing, does anyone really expect a 70 year old woman to show any love to MMA? who cares?

As for Woodley/Wonderboy II, a part of me think that they should have given Woodley someone else, Wonderboy didn't get the job done in the first fight so i don't see why that warrants another instant crack at it no matter how close he came...that said, it was such a great fight that i'm happy it's getting another go around, so i aint complaining too much.

• Paid Members

I can see your thinking Egg, and you're completely right, Wonderboy for me didn't do enough to warrant an instant rematch. The rounds he did win weren't exactly damage inflicting rounds whilst in the rounds Woodley won he caused a load of damage.

As you say though, it was a very good fight so it's not a big deal in the end. 

On a side note I'm putting this here as I can't be arsed to dredge up the 207 thread. The Thrill and the agony preview for behind the scenes at 207. The obvious hilarity of Edmund's reaction aside, seeing Faber in tears of joy, along with Garbrandt should bring a tear to any fucking glass eye.

Crazy just how much Garbrandt's stock has risen.

• Paid Members

Garbrandt's face turn was one of the great MMA moments of the year, he was well on his way to being on that MMA shit list before the fight, by the end of it everybody loved the guy, it was all organic too, you could just feel the switch in momentum as the whole thing played out.

Unrelated...

The UFC have signed dual-weight BAMMA champ Tom Dusquesnoy, he's 14-1 and is widely considered as one of the best prospects in the entire sport. Good signing:

Ys1g8aTl.jpg

Archived