The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

The most impressive thing about Garbrandt for me was the way he beat Cruz. I genuinely think it was a rare case where winning a decision was a actually more impressive than winning by knockout. Everyone thought that if Cody won it'd be by landing some huge KO punch. Nobody knew he had that kind of all round performance in him. He showed movement, timing, defence, speed, intelligence, maturity and even showmanship that we never knew he had, on top of the punching power that we did know he had.

If there was an award for 'Performance Of The Year' I think he'd get it. Might've even pipped McGregor's stellar showing against Alvarez for me.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A lot of it's who he beat as well for me. People don't say it enough but Cruz really is one of the greatest of all time. He's that good. It can't be understated when you look at what he came back from injury and layoff wise and how good he looked in his return. Cruz is one of the best ever and for Garbrandt to win in that fashion was something else.

• Paid Members

Yeh Cruz has proven himself since the injury, he was still the same fighter. He likely underestimated Garbrandt who delivered on a level that nobody saw him capable of, but that's not taking anything away from the performance, amazing.

• Paid Members

Yeah even Cruz couldn't have known Garbrandt had that many attributes as a fighter because Garbrandt just hadn't had to show it before.

Just read that Shogun vs Gian Villante has been added to the Belfort vs Gastelum Fight Night in Brazil in March. Fun fight that. Although I've never got a good feeling about Shogun fights anymore.

Jimi Manuwa is fighting Corey Anderson on the London card in March as well. And Joe Duffy is fighting Reza Madadi in the last fight on his contract then he's testing free agency.

• Paid Members

Pickett vs Enrique Briones announced for the London card. Pickett also confirmed it'll be his last.

Also, tickets on sale Jan 27th.

Edit: other announced fights:

Francimar Barroso vs. Darren Stewart
Joseph Duffy vs. Reza Madadi
Teemu Packalen vs. Marc Diakiese
Arnold Allen vs. Makwan Amirkhani
Scott Askham vs. Brad Scott
Jimi Manuwa vs. Corey Anderson
Vicente Luque vs. Leon Edwards
Brad Pickett vs. Henry Briones
Tom Breese vs. Oluwale Bamgbose

• Paid Members

Yeh Cruz has proven himself since the injury, he was still the same fighter. He likely underestimated Garbrandt who delivered on a level that nobody saw him capable of, but that's not taking anything away from the performance, amazing.

I've listened to a few pros point out it was exactly the opposite fight one expected from both men going in, with Garbrandt being too clever and smooth and Cruz being the one loading up on his punches and what not.

Whatever, almost everyone underestimated Garbrandt as a fighter and a person. It's like he turned up on fight night and was Bill Murray at the end of Groundhog Day.

Fucks sake. There is literally nothing on that London card that makes me want to part with 150 quid that the ticket would undoubtedly cost. I was hoping for a proper main event at least. What the fuck is that card?!

Yeah that card features a number of decent guys from over here but nothing that captivating to get punters to part money. I wonder what the main event will be. I figured if anything they'd have had Manuwa perhaps in a number one contenders fight with Glover or something headline the show. Feels like he's taken a step back fighting Corey Anderson.

• Paid Members

Fucks sake. There is literally nothing on that London card that makes me want to part with 150 quid that the ticket would undoubtedly cost. I was hoping for a proper main event at least. What the fuck is that card?!

Completely agree with you. If it stays like that then it's possibly the worst UFC card we've seen over here. 

That said, there's 9 fights announced so far and we normally get 11 fights. There needs to be 2 big fight announcements made for this in order for it not to be a 'turn up at weigh in's to get free hand outs' event.

• Paid Members

Completely agree with you. If it stays like that then it's possibly the worst UFC card we've seen over here. 

That said, there's 9 fights announced so far and we normally get 11 fights. There needs to be 2 big fight announcements made for this in order for it not to be a 'turn up at weigh in's to get free hand outs' event.

the UFC has a core pool of talent now that they roll out for UK shows, this show just seems to have all those guys on there. It's decent enough but it isn't making me wish i could attend, the show needs a highly ranked contender fight or two on top. Feels like they should have given a few of the new Welsh signings a spot too.

The Lawler thing is weird, he seemed to be really at home with ATT, to see him pulled from two fights by simply saying he isn't ready, then leave the camp leads me to believe that something is up.

• Paid Members

Woodley is telling people that Nick Diaz was offered the title fight at 209, but turned it down because he wanted more money. Even as someone who watches UFC for entertainment and spectacle rather than sport, and normally has no problem with match making for casual fans, Nick Diaz getting a title shot in 2017 is insanity.

Would've been awesome though.

Archived