The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Struve has pulled out of the JDS fight due to injury. 

This is no great loss. JDS vs Struve 2 did very little for me. Hopefully they can find JDS a better match-up. Werdum would be ideal. Although I am out of the loop with fight announcements, so forgive me if Werdum is tied up elsewhere. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah they aren't putting a title fight on that show. But it definitely needs some kind of main event that has ramifications in the top five spots of a division though.

• Paid Members

Yeah they aren't putting a title fight on that show. But it definitely needs some kind of main event that has ramifications in the top five spots of a division though.

Especially as they know full well that ticket sales are likely to be strong regardless. Compared to a similar card in a place they visit more often, I mean.

This interim thing is getting beyond a joke now.  No fan is buying this as a title fight!  It's just a way to make the fight seem more important so you can promote UFC209 as having two title fights.  However, all it achieves is to devalue the legitimate title even further.  It's no wonder title fights don't draw now!  What with this and creating a 145lb belt where the (supposed) star of the division can't even make the weight, the UFC is not making the wisest of choices at the moment!

• Paid Members

This interim thing is getting beyond a joke now.  No fan is buying this as a title fight!  It's just a way to make the fight seem more important so you can promote UFC209 as having two title fights.  However, all it achieves is to devalue the legitimate title even further.  It's no wonder title fights don't draw now!  What with this and creating a 145lb belt where the (supposed) star of the division can't even make the weight, the UFC is not making the wisest of choices at the moment!

Yep that's pretty much it. It's all to do with the shareholders desperately needing a big PPV.

It's crazy though. The belt was only just won a handful of weeks ago, and the title holder is not even injured. He's said he wants till May off which means that more than likely he could potentially defend it twice this year.

• Paid Members

If the interim title means we get 5 rounds of Khabib v Ferguson then I'm all for it. 

That really is the saving grace as that fight has to be a 5 rounder. One of the best fights in terms of talent since DC vs Jones for me.

• Paid Members

Fight Pass is free all weekend, though you have to register: http://uk.ufc.com/news/UFC-FIGHT-PASS-Free-Weekend-Begins-This-Friday

Includes TKO 37, Invicta 21 and the Fight Night prelims.

Edit: It's for new accounts (ie separate email address) only. You have to sign up, but don't provide card details.

Archived