The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I find fight pass hugely frustrating. All that footage yet the platform is so shit, I haven't yet found a medium that it's fun to watch through. 

I suspect it's something the new owners will get around to sorting but they may have lost me as a punter by then. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I find fight pass hugely frustrating. All that footage yet the platform is so shit, I haven't yet found a medium that it's fun to watch through.

I suspect it's something the new owners will get around to sorting but they may have lost me as a punter by then.

In what way? The app is much better now that it was when it first launched.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva Vs. Derek Brunson has been announced for UFC 208

Nice addition. 208 needed a bit of extra spice. Anderson's name doesn't carry the weight it used to but he still bolsters any card he's added to. Big opportunity for Brunson here. I thought Robert Whittaker would've got this big name fight instead to be honest, seeing as he beat Brunson. But I guess they'd rather match Whittaker with someone else who's also coming off a win. Can see them doing Whittaker vs Mousasi actually.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva Vs. Derek Brunson has been announced for UFC 208

Nice addition. 208 needed a bit of extra spice. Anderson's name doesn't carry the weight it used to but he still bolsters any card he's added to. Big opportunity for Brunson here. I thought Robert Whittaker would've got this big name fight instead to be honest, seeing as he beat Brunson. But I guess they'd rather match Whittaker with someone else who's also coming off a win. Can see them doing Whittaker vs Mousasi actually.

I fly into NYC on the 11th, wasn't going to go to this event due to the card, but this might swing it for me now

Worth a mention the new eye poke rules. I'm tempted to call it the Jon Jones rule. You can't throw your open hand out horizontally to range find like a jab now. Like JJ does every fight and "accidentally" pokes the guy in the eye.

DC seemed made up when announcing it last night.

That was great. Cormier is excellent on commentary.

He would be my pick to replace Rogan.

• Paid Members

Have to say I was quite impressed with the Fight Pass interface on Roku which is notoriously hard to create an interface for as the remote only has a few buttons.

Didn't really get much chance to watch it this weekend, but I enjoyed the first Pancrase show from 1993 (34 minutes long!) and there was a fun show with Forrest's Freaky Fights that was all Pride freakshow bouts and stuff. They had a six-man tag grappling match with Matt Hughes and Jens Pulver which you could politely call an exhibition and realistically call a pitifully obvious work.

Archived