The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Max also does ESPN's First Take show on weekdays, and I think he still his own radio show. I can't see him adding even more to his schedule. I also can't see him leaving HBO to make room for the UFC gig. Max can be a complete pillock when interviewing boxers after fights, and he does have a face that you just want to smack, but I find his opinions reasonable most of the time.

They are talking about July, the new guy would join, so presumably the guy has a contract elsewhere, Fox took Skip Bayless and plenty if other ESPN names and they seem to have more money than ESPN to spend on employees.

I would guess if it was Max Kellerman he would be getting a lot more money as HBO have cut their Boxing budget and are airing a lot more fights on PPV than they did previously or they could work out a deal, HBO only run about 20 shows and if whoever takes over will do just the PPVs and Fox fights basically just what Mike Goldberg does just now.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like Max Kellerman but he isn't even play by play for HBO. The thought off him and Joe Rogan together is oddly intriguing though. Must suck for Anik though. Dana publicly wrote him off in that scrum.

Be interesting to see who it turns out to be...

• Paid Members

Is this it for UFC 208?

Holly Holm vs Germaine de Randamie - Featherweight Title

Travis Browne vs Derrick Lewis

Glover Teixeira vs Jared Cannonier

Dustin Poirier vs Jim Miller

Ryan LaFlare vs Roan Carneiro

Paul Felder vs Gilbert Burns

Nik Lentz vs Islam Makhachev

Ian McCall vs Neil Seery

George Sullivan vs Randy Brown

Luis Henrique vs Marcin Tybura

Wilson Reis vs Ulka Sasaki

Philippe Nover vs Rick Glenn

Some good fights on there but as a PPV that's pretty weak. Looks like a strong Fight Night. It's crying out for a big fight to headline. Holm vs Germain as co-main would be decent but that's a poor headliner for a PPV however you chop it up.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's definitely quite a drop off from the last few PPV line ups. Like you say there are some good fights but nothing there that will sell a PPV. I'm looking forward to Lewis hopefully smashing Browne though. Poirier v Miller should be good too.

• Paid Members

That's the thing. Holly Holm vs Germaine de Randamie is a great fight on paper too. That's probably going to be a really good standup fight. But this doesn't feel like a PPV at all. I'm actually looking forward to a couple of the upcoming Fight Nights more than this.

It doesn't help either that Holm vs de Randamie was presumably going to decide who would next fight Cyborg in their first defence of the new belt. Cyborg getting busted for PEDs has fucked that division before it even got started. And as a result it's taken a lot of the interest away from this Holm/Randamie fight.

Also, remember those rumours for UFC 209 and how awesome it sounded? The UFC were supposedly lining up Woodley vs Wonderboy 2, Khabib vs Ferguson and Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler 2 for that one. Well, two of those three fights are dead in the water now. Dana confirmed last week that they've offered Diaz fights at welterweight and he's turned them all down. And apparently plans for Khabib vs Ferguson were scrapped because Ferguson wanted more money.

Oh well. I guess this is the price we pay for them loading up the end of the year PPVs. I'd much rather them do it this way than go back to 2014 where they never really made anything seem special.

I don't see this posted yet but here is a video of Bisping and Woodley agreeing to fight in a catchweight fight at some point in May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4wjLOh2tw 

Don't know if anything will come from this but certainly a fight that could do good for the UFC and despite Woodley probably winning there are much worse fights for Bisping to take.

• Paid Members

Where the fuck is Robbie Lawler? Haven't heard much about him lately. I know he was taking a little break, and it's thoroughly deserved after the gruelling last couple of years he's had. But I can't wait to see him get back to kicking arse again. One of my favourite fighters ever.

Oh and I'm expecting some big fight announcements in the next few weeks, now Christmas and New Years is done and dusted. I'd guess fights like Cormier vs Rumble 2, Woodley vs Wonderboy 2, Bisping vs Romero, whatever Joanna Jedrzejczyk is doing next etc to be confirmed soon. As it stands now, there's nothing big on the horizon. They'll be wanting to set their stall out for the first half of 2017 now. Especially with McGregor on about taking 10 months off. They need to get shit moving.

Archived