The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

He really does have a fantastic record considering how consistently active he keeps himself. Including moving up a weight class as well. I think he beats Masvidal as well, which would put him 5-0 at Welterweight, putting him in the top mix with the likes of Maia, Lawler, Woodley and Thompson. Then you always have the potential of fights at 170 with Nick and Nate Diaz, GSP, Carlos Condit. Every single one of those fights seem really interesting and exciting to me.

If he manages to win against Masvidal and say 1 fight after that and doesn't get a shot at 170, I'd imagine he would be able to drop down for a title shot at 155 off of those wins.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He's sort of like a Faber or Sonnen to me. He seems to do great against most, but when he fights the very top level (a beast champion) he can't quite get it done. Unlike Faber and Sonnen, he still has time to rectify that though.

The potential Cerrone/McGregor fight is enough to give a man a restless nights sleep.

• Paid Members

Happy with Cerrone vs Masvidal. I hope Cowboy kicks his face off.

And I love Arlovski vs Ngannou and Lewis vs Browne. It's about time we see Ngannou and the Beast step up and these fights should give us more of an indication of what we're dealing with with those two. It kind of reminds me of when they had Cain Velasquez and Shane Carwin coming up and they did Velasquez vs Kongo and Carwin vs Gonzaga within a few months of each other.

Brock's been suspended for one year coming off of his failed drugs test prior to, and following his UFC 200 fight. He's also being fined $250,000 and his victory is being turned into a "no contest".

• Paid Members

What it does mean is it's not a two year suspension though, which would have meant he likely wouldn't have fought again. If this suspension is active from UFC 200 then I'm sure we'll see him fight either once or twice in the second half of next year.

• Paid Members

That's if WWE allow it though. It's not impossible that Brock fights again but I wouldn't just assume that WWE would OK it again. Wasn't there reports last time that Stephanie said they allowed it but weren't exactly supporting it? I always assumed Brock fighting at UFC 200 was a one off thing myself.

When does Brock's current WWE contract expire?

And Ebb - do you really prefer Masvidal to Cerrone? Each his own and that but to me that's like choosing a dog shit sandwich over steak and chips.

• Paid Members

Dont get me wrong, i love to watch Cerrone fight, but i find myself rooting against him at times. I wanted Matt Brown to beat him for example.

I've just become a big fan of Masvidal over the years despite some frustration at times. I feel he's one of the most underrated and under-appreciated fighters in the whole sport.

• Paid Members

He's definitely gone under the radar yeah. He's a darkhorse in the division. I think part of it's been his style hasn't always been great to watch (although he's been much more consistently entertaining at 170 so far) and part of it's probably just been a case of him being in the two deepest weight classes in the UFC - 155 and 170 - and getting lost in the shuffle.

He's been good forever. I've never warmed to him though and Cowboy's the man. I've only ever gone against Cerrone when he's been fighting one of my favourites.

• Paid Members

The only reason Lesnar got that sort of leverage to go back to the UFC is WWE burned through all his contracted dates well before Wrestlemania. Who knows what's in his latest contract, but from what I've read, the UFC deal was very much a one off favour afforded to him by Vince due to them trying their luck with all the extra dates, which Lesnar wasn't having unless he was given a little more.

WME will definitely try their luck again, you imagine.

Archived