The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

He'll need to d9 4 months on USADA to return, Angela Hill was fired brought back in and has to go through it again, brand new signings usually last minute ones don't need to wait 4 months.

Brock was allowed the first time, they aren't making that mistake again.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Couple of exciting fight announcements...

Jim Miller vs Dustin Poirier - UFC 208 in Brooklyn

Vitor Belfort vs Kelvin Gastelum - Fight Night in Fortaleza, Brazil in March

Also, big pinch of salt here as the source is a site which hasn't always been reliable. But BJPenn.com have an article that says the UFC are working on a big welterweight double header for UFC 209 in February which would see a rematch of Tyron Woodley vs Wonderboy Thompson in the main event, and also Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler 2 on the same card!

If that actually happens I might explode with excitement before February rolls around. It would make sense though, to have both fights on the same card as an insurance policy for pullouts because at least you have options for backup plans. Plus having Nick Diaz return at 209 is a marketing no brainer, isn't it? You can just imagine the posters/promos.

For what it's worth, Khabib is also saying he might be fighting Tony Ferguson at UFC 209 as well. Wait for it...for another bastard interim title. Helwani has confirmed that the fight, 209 and the interim belt have all been discussed but none of it is a done deal yet. I guess if McGregor is taking a fairly lengthy paternity leave then this kind of makes sense so the division can roll on. And then when he does return you have a big unification fight waiting.

Man, I know it's all rumours at this stage but if 209 actually ends up looking like this...

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 - Welterweight Title

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson - Interim Lightweight Title

Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler 2

Fucking hell.

Poor Demian Maia!

Guy had a viable claim for the title shot instead of Wonderboy at 205 after the mauling of Condit, but I presumed regardless he'd be taking on the winner of the title fight. Woodley/Wonderboy draw, leading to calls for an immediate rematch (rightfully so), meaning he's going to be waiting even longer. Then with this announcement, it would be hard to deny the winner of Lawler/Diaz a crack at the belt, especially in the case of Lawler. I pity the bloke, but that still doesn't make me any less excited if they manage to get that card together. Immense looking stuff.

• Paid Members

I don't know what the fuck happens with Maia now. He's the forgotten man at 170.

Like you say, after going through Condit like a bad curry he was the clear next contender at 170 after Woodley vs Wonderboy. That fight ending in a draw was something nobody saw coming and it fucked Maia over but it can't be helped. They have to do Woodley vs Wonderboy 2 now. It's unfinished business that needs settling.

So Maia either had the option of sitting out again for the winner of the rematch or taking another big fight in the meantime. Cerrone wanted to fight Maia and that would've been a big name fight and winnable for Maia. But now Cerrone is booked against Masvidal. Lawler was another name I'd heard for Maia but if they can make the Diaz fight they absolutely should do that.

I just don't know where it leaves Maia. I guess he sits out for the winner of Woodley-Thompson 2. But that probably means sitting out until the summer and Maia isn't getting any younger. He's in the best form of his career but he's pushing 40 and it's not going to last forever. Timing is just all to cock for him. He deserves a big fight after his recent run of performances.

It's a hell of a tough spot for Maia. If he chooses to sit and wait out his shot, who knows how long he could be waiting? Presuming that the winner of the Woodley/Wonderboy fight has 2/3 months off to recuperate before their next fight is going to seem like a hell of a long time for him. Plus if Robbie Lawler goes in and smacks Nick Diaz around the cage then he's arguably going to be the next in line to get a shot because with Lawler as #1 contender you can play one of two stories, a rematch against Woodley or the old guard vs the new against Wonderboy. It could be another 4/5 months before we have Maia having his shot, and by that time you could have a whole host of things happening. If Cerrone beats Masvidal, I'll presume he goes above Condit, and maybe even Maia in the rankings based purely on how ridiculously active he's been as of late.

Then on the other hand, as you say, there's nobody for him to face that would push him into the undeniable #1 contender. If he beats a name like Cerrone/Lawler then nobody can argue against him getting the title shot, but both of those guys are seemingly booked into fights. He's just made mincemeat out of Condit. Hendricks and Magny are fighting one another, as are Stun Gun and Saffiedine and nothing much will come off of him beating somebody like Ellenberger or Story. Welterweight is a brilliantly packed division. Even the loser of Wonderboy/Woodley 2 is only going to be one win off of having another crack at the belt.

What's the best case scenario for him? Woodley/Wonderboy win decisively, and Diaz beats Lawler? 

Crap position for him.

Man, I know it's all rumours at this stage but if 209 actually ends up looking like this...

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 2 - Welterweight Title

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson - Interim Lightweight Title

Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawler 2

Fucking helll

Aye, that's a killer card. Odds are we won't get all 3 bouts, but just two of those fights on the same bill would get the juices flowing. Diaz vs Lawler 2 alone would be worth setting the alarm clock for. 

Regarding Maia. I read somewhere that he was linked to fighting GSP, before communication broke down between the UFC and GSP's management. You could argue that the GSP fight would be more viable than getting a shot at the title - at least in terms of exposure and possibly bank balance. So yeah, just shit luck all round for him. 

• Paid Members

Maia is in about the worst spot possible for someone on such a good run of form. I don't know that he'll ever get the title shot if things fall a certain way.

If Wonderboy wins, and Lawler wins then he could be waiting behind possible Lawler/Thompson and Thompson/Woodley III. As well as a Wonderboy/Lawler rematch, should Thompson beat Woodley and lose to Lawler. If Cerrone wins two more fights then he'll be above Maia in the pecking order as well I'd guess.

As Adam says, Maia needs Diaz to win and Woodley to knock Thompson out of the title picture.

Forgetting all that though, that potential 209 card? Fuck me I'd die of excitement in the build up to that show.

• Paid Members

I don't think Maia is in that bad of a position.

He gets the winner of Thompson vs Woodley. Lawler for me needs 2 wins for a rematch. Woodley also hasn't held the title long enough to warrant an instant rematch if he loses either.

• Paid Members

You'd think he hasn't but if Woodley/Wonderboy go out and have another classic and Wonderboy wins they could go straight into a trilogy. Always a risky game waiting around...especially nowadays when the UFC are very much making fights based on whats gonna draw the coin.

• Paid Members

You'd think he hasn't but if Woodley/Wonderboy go out and have another classic and Wonderboy wins they could go straight into a trilogy. Always a risky game waiting around...especially nowadays when the UFC are very much making fights based on whats gonna draw the coin.

You have that risk with any fight with a number 1 contender in the wings.

You can't predict the future but I don't think Maia is in a bad position as what's been made out.

The fact is he could fight one more time but at this stage of Maia's career I don't see the point.

So it's come out a number of journalists in the MMA field are being paid to attend events by reporters. Someone's claimed UKs own Jim Edwards has his flight, hotel and a fee paid for attending and 'reporting' on ONE FC over in Thailand. He's yet to confirm or deny.

One pay for good publicity all the time, it's always Asia's number 1 MMA group or the UFC of Asia. Forbes had d a fluff piece naming the biggest MMA promotions in Asia, One were number 1, the two guys that run One were ranked 1 & 2 in the most influential.

Road FC who run both South Korea & China were not even ranked and I think both Shooto & Pancrease were, even though neither do big TV ratings and Road does in the countries they run.

Dana White just announced they're officially creating a women's Featherweight belt and Holm vs De Randamie on Feb 11th will be to crown the first champ.

Good chance Holm becomes the first women's two weight world champ then.

I'm sorry, but this is fucking nuts!!  Why are you creating a division where there is no natural 145's except Cyborg.  If your going to create a new weight division, why not do it at a 125lbs.  The one thing this company doesn't need is more belts!  It can't draw with its existing champions, never mind new ones!  If Holms does win and Cyborg comes in to challenge, Holly is going to get slaughtered!  Its a fight she's turned down already because her people have said its a size mis-match!  This profit drive is leading to the group making some stupid decisions!

Because, with Rousey on precarious ground at the moment the UFC need another female fighter they can hitch their wagon to and Cyborg may just be that fighter. It's a division exclusively for her at the moment, no doubt, but once the division is in place you'll see other fighters at 145lbs appear on the scene.

In fact, fuck it, throw in a few seasons of TUF with that division featured and you've got some ready-made contenders right away.

Archived