The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Alistair Overeem vs. Mark Hunt has been made for UFC 209 in March next year. Should be a short but good fight.

Not official yet as Hunt won't sign the current deal on offer. Apparently he's insisting on if his opponent fails a drug test he gets their show money.

Can't see them agreeing to that.

Alistair Overeem vs. Mark Hunt has been made for UFC 209 in March next year. Should be a short but good fight.

Not official yet as Hunt won't sign the current deal on offer. Apparently he's insisting on if his opponent fails a drug test he gets their show money.

Is that because of what happened with Lesnar in Hunt's last fight?

• Paid Members

It's a pretty reasonable request though, right? Anyone who has an issue with it is clearly dodgy as fuck.

• Paid Members

It's a pretty reasonable request though, right? Anyone who has an issue with it is clearly dodgy as fuck.

Is it perhaps a right request? Maybe. Is it realistic? Absolutely not. It's going to potentially cause chaos if they agree to it as every fighter in the sport will want that clause written into their contract.

This Hunt stance still fucks me off as well. The guy openly came out saying Lesnar was on drugs and still said he would still knock him out. He also willingly signed the deal that gave him a massive pay increase of 500k for 15 minutes work. 

He signed the deal knowing fully what he was getting into.

I'm not a UFC fan particularly but the point was made to me today; why wasn't Michael Bisping nominated for Sports Personality? I could understand to some degree if they ignore the UFC altogether but I specifically remember seeing Conor McGregor in a video package they showed, and Bisping's achievements have been remarkable. I'm not marching in saying he would've won or anything but considering there have been boxers who have been nominated and won, how does Bisping get ignored?

• Paid Members

Despite the sport receiving way more mainstream coverage these days, it's still not accepted fully. There's no coverage found during any news sports segments and the BBC's coverage, whilst certainly better, is kept now on BBC Three.

I think if it were a SPOTY award that was hosted by BT sports, it could be different story altogether mind.

I'm not a UFC fan particularly but the point was made to me today; why wasn't Michael Bisping nominated for Sports Personality? I could understand to some degree if they ignore the UFC altogether but I specifically remember seeing Conor McGregor in a video package they showed, and Bisping's achievements have been remarkable. I'm not marching in saying he would've won or anything but considering there have been boxers who have been nominated and won, how does Bisping get ignored?

To be fair, despite what Bisping has achieved lately it still doesn't make him a bigger sports personality than Conor, does it? A good example would be looking at boxing this year. The general consensus among many is that Carl Frampton is the British boxer of the year, but if you ask mainstream pundits or casual boxing fans they'll immediately mention Anthony Joshua.

• Paid Members

Some people probably still don't see UFC as a legit sport with insanely skilled athletes. To some it's always going to be that seedy "too violent" NHB.

I can understand Bisping not really being on the Beeb's radar. I wouldn't say they're the best at keeping their finger on the pulse, particularly with a sport that's based in the US.

Bisping is just as deserving as anyone, of course.

• Paid Members

Personally, I haven't given a shite about the turgid SPOTY since Ali got the Greatest Sportsman Of All Time, of whatever.

I can understand Bisping being a bit miffed, even if when you look at it, a UFC fighter will probably never get a nomination in our lifetime.

Archived