The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Moderators

Dunno if this was posted on here previously, but Melvin Guillard has signed to fight for a Bare Knuckle promotion in the UK next year. Guillard is currently suspended for a year so he's taking bare knuckle fights to make ends meet. He's set to fight on January 28th.

Their website is amazing

Is Bare Knuckle Boxing Legal in the UK?

The simple answer to this is when done corrcetly with the corrcet licences, medical team and sanctioning YES.

At UBBAD we either do things corrcetly, legally and above board or we dont do it at all

One of the links at the top of the site is 'SAFTEY'

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Honestly, who do we think Penn could beat of today's crop of featherweights? I think Ricardo Lamas would've battered him if that fight had gone ahead. I was about 60/40 in favour of Dennis Siver beating him. And even when he was scheduled to fight Cole Miller at UFC 199 I was seriously entertaining the possibility of Miller outworking him.

Now obviously he's massively declined. Let's take that as read. But are we maybe overstating how much slightly? Yes he looked fucking abysmal in his last fight. But how much of that was also down to the fact he was in there with Frankie Edgar? It wasn't all down to that, BJ's own performance (or non-performance in this case) was just baffling and depressing to watch. But I don't think there's many on the roster who would've been a worse style matchup for him at that point than Edgar either.

I'm confident Yair beats him. Definitely. But he can't look worse than he did against Frankie can he? Surely?

He really should be taking all these setbacks as a sign that this comeback just isn't meant to be. He's been scheduled for fights five times now in 2016. Five! The Siver fight was scheduled or at least tentatively pencilled in three times, then Cole Miller then Ricardo Lamas. They all fell through for one reason or another. He keeps getting injured as well. He's been having problems with his ribs most of the year and it sounds like it's kept recurring because he keeps jumping back in the gym for these ill advised comeback fights. I'm not a superstitious man but if I was BJ Penn I'd be starting to think something is trying to tell me to knock this idea on the head.

You have to be wondering what's the motivation to do it. The list of opponents he's been scheduled against and then pulled out from has been really varied in terms of style and quality and i haven't fancied Penn to beat any of them. It's allarming how far my opinion of a legend like BJ Penn has fallen, he's still only 37 years old but i just can't see him beating anyone of note at 145.

• Paid Members

UFC have postponed UFC 208, the January 21st show going head to head with Bellator's Sonnen/Ortiz show, until August. The February PPV will become UFC 208 instead of 209.

• Paid Members

Yeah there was no official reason given only like Lamby said, there's almost zero options available. When they take out all the injured, inactive or otherwise engaged fighters from their pool of talent, they aren't left with much to headline with. But I don't think they want to say that just at the minute.

• Paid Members

Fucking yes!

Tough return for KZ though. Giving him Bermudez after 3 years out? Personally I'd have done Zombie vs Penn. It's a big name for Zombie to return to, could still headline a Fight Night, but it'd be fair because BJ is also coming off a long layoff, and it's a fight that's give him a bit of opportunity to ease himself back in before jumping in with someone who's in top form. That would've also freed up Dennis Bermudez vs Yair Rodriguez which sounds like a FOTY contender on paper.

Oh well. Not complaining. Zombie vs Bermudez is brilliant.

UFC have laid off some employees. Including Liddell and Hughes.

There's also a rumour going around that Rogan and Goldberg are for the chop. Networks don't like their hyperbolic style of commentary, and the UFC is willing to make a change if needed. I have mixed feelings. On one side of the coin, it would be the end of an era, and the replacements might not fit the bill. On the other side of the coin, both have been around for well over a decade. They aren't the breath of fresh air they once were. I zone them out a lot of the time.. 

Goldberg has always been pretty standard, but I've grown comfortable with him. In contrast, Rogan is very hit and miss. When I'm not zoning him out, I can greatly appreciate him one moment, then call for his head the next. Thinking about it, they play their roles well. Goldberg isn't meant to be anything more than play by play, and he does just that. While Rogan is firmly on the "colour commentary" style of things. Also for all his weaknesses, Rogan does know the game inside and out. 

I don't know. I would presume that Anik would be in line for a promotion if this occurs. He's not one for hyperbole. I'm not a fan personally, but it could be worse. I just hope his partner would be Stann.

• Paid Members

In all honesty I think it's time for them to go. I wouldn't say it's in dire need of change, but for me it's one more thing that doesn't make them feel like a mainstream sport.

The style of the two just isn't what the mainstream sports world is used to and that includes boxing. On top of that I don't think Joe Rogan's extracurricular activities would please say a company like ESPN if they were to win the rights for the new TV broadcasted.

As for Liddell and Hughes I'm not surprised. Hughes is a horrible bastard whilst it's obvious Liddell was just sitting on his arse collecting a cheque for being mates with Dana.

I think the network thing is just nonsense, like they were planning on cutting the number of events back, its just WME IMG don't release anything to the MMA media, so they just make stuff up. they have said they may give up production rights during UFC events when they sign to a new US TV deal in 2018, it would be to cut costs if they are on big money and they can find guys just as good to do it for a lot less they would.

Hughes & Liddell were getting paid to do nothing, Big Nog & Forrest are probably next.

The style of the two just isn't what the mainstream sports world is used to and that includes boxing. On top of that I don't think Joe Rogan's extracurricular activities would please say a company like ESPN if they were to win the rights for the new TV broadcasted.

Good point.

With the sport becoming more corporate: does Rogan really fit in? He was more suited to the Spike TV landscape of the sport. 

Weed is legal in half of America, I don't think people care that much over there, he might get in trouble for saying some in PC thing during his comedy shows but I don't even think he does that much, he did a show for Netflix this year I think but he's not said anything really offensive the last few years from what I've seen or read.

• Paid Members

It's not really the point of whether weed is legal or not.

It's the image he portrays and I don't think a sports company the size of ESPN, who have been a rumored interested party, would entertain it for one second.

Regarding Big Nog and Griffin, I actually think you've tarred them unfairly in comparison to Liddell and Hughes.

Griffin in particular does endless work with fight pass and the shows on there and goes relentlessly around the world doing q and a's and meet and greets. According to Helwani he takes pride in his work with the ufc.

• Paid Members

Forrest's a guy I've done a 180 on over the years. Loved him at the start with his stint on TUF 1, right through his upset over Shogun and title win over Rampage. Somewhere around 2009, around when he lost to Anderson and seemed to have a personality transplant, I soured on him massively. From 2009 up until his retirement it seemed like every interview or any story you heard about him meeting fans ended with you thinking 'man, Forrest's a cock these days'. Ever since he retired though, I've thought he's come off well every time I've seen him. It's weird. I just think he really fell out of love with fighting after he lost the title to Rashad, and especially how the Anderson fight went. He seemed fucking depressed and like he hated everything about his fighting life after that. That DVD they put out on him went a bit of a way to explaining it and he pretty much confirmed he'd just lost his love for fighting by the end. He seems in a much better place now whenever you see or hear him. He was in the front row at a UFC this year and he couldn't have looked happier. He was like the old fun Forrest again.

Archived