The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Everytime I hear something like the above or even think about the current situation in the UFC with Ronda, Conor, USADA and disgruntled fighters, my mind always goes back to Lorenzo Fertitta sat on a beach with a drink in hand, smiling broadly.

Talk about getting out at the right time. What a Fucking winner.

• Paid Members

Stipe was on the MMA Hour yesterday and said he's another fighter having contract issues with the UFC. He claims, despite clearly being the Cleveland draw and champ in his last fight, Overeem got paid much more than him, which is wild.

Yeah the disclosed salries gave Overeem 800k for losing and Stipe 600k for winning. PPV percentages could have applied to both or neither fighter on top of that.

• Paid Members

It's getting a little tiring these fighters complaining about their contracts.

I've got no problem with the fighters believing they should be paid more, but the fact is they signed the deal. Once their deal ends then that's the time to re-negotiate (unless your leverage has considerably grown eg Mcgregor).

Overeem got paid a shit load because he took a risk and it paid off. He let his old deal run down and by chance went on that winning streak. He put himself into a powerful position to get the deal.

Miocic may have been the draw in Cleveland, but that's all he is right now. He doesn't have the drawing leverage nationally to re-negotiate at this stage.

• Paid Members

There is definitely an argument for both, of course, but I always side with the fighters on this, considering how woefully underpaid most of them are.

I totally get why Stipe is mad. He's now the baddest man on the planet and the 2017 version of Overeem makes more than him. Even Stipe said on the MMA Hour he's not after Lesnar money, but a little bump he feels he deserves having worked hard to become their heavyweight champion. The championship years are the money years, so he needs to get the most for it and not sit about like a good boy for his contract to run down and for him to get the scraps from the table. If you have ever listened to Stipe you'll know he's quite a reasonable fella that is all about "I'll fight whenever they ask".

• Paid Members

It's getting a little tiring these fighters complaining about their contracts.

I've got no problem with the fighters believing they should be paid more, but the fact is they signed the deal. Once their deal ends then that's the time to re-negotiate (unless your leverage has considerably grown eg Mcgregor).

Overeem got paid a shit load because he took a risk and it paid off. He let his old deal run down and by chance went on that winning streak. He put himself into a powerful position to get the deal.

Miocic may have been the draw in Cleveland, but that's all he is right now. He doesn't have the drawing leverage nationally to re-negotiate at this stage.

I agree - but I do think that if you're in the UFC and you're a full-time fighter, you should make a decent living wage - even at the lowest level. That should be the minimum. Marcus Brimage lives in a squat, FFS.

He gets paid more than Jon Jones has ever been paid on public payout, he's in no way anywhere near that level of star, the PPV probably took a bump up by having CM Punk on it.

Hendo got paid the same as Overeem for his fight with Hector Lombard, sometimes guys who have been fighting for over a decade at a high level deserve that.

He would have negotiated his contract after winning the belt probably with fights left on his old deal but Overeem after beating JDS on his last fight on his contract and Bellator looking to take him and had he lost to Dos Santos they would have let him walk or signed him for much less.

Stipe is the highest paid current champion besides Conor McGregor he should put that into perspective.

Lorenzo Fertitta was always secretive, Overeems first contract had side payments and signing fees etc and only became public knowledge because Golden Glory sued him, Lorenzo also paid a lot of money in lobbying in states, sometimes it was to open doors but others it was hiding television revenue like that was mandatory for a while in Florida, WME IMG don't seem to care about stuff like that and will give up control of the broadcast like most sports do, while the UFC basically control their own broadcast, which is probably why Goldberg is out and Todd Grisham and a bigger name will be in because they can sign with the Network they sign with instead of the UFC, while Goldberg did one football game for Fox and was apparently terrible.

• Paid Members

I agree - but I do think that if you're in the UFC and you're a full-time fighter, you should make a decent living wage - even at the lowest level. That should be the minimum. Marcus Brimage lives in a squat, FFS.

Without question. The base rate of the lower fighters is shockingly low. 

This was more specifically targeted at the Miocic's and Tony Ferguson's of this world, even Eddie Alvarez during his negotiations for UFC 205. They all had decent deals yet are moaning about pre and post fight. I'd be interested to know if Ferguson got his wish after the Khabib fight was announced?

Miocic was paid 600k and assuming PPV % as a champion. As mole points out above, it's still a great deal that he has. As a draw he's not even warranted that figure at all. 

Imagine if McGregor vs. Diaz III happened as a boxing match? How mad would that be?

I know, different states and all that.

Imagine if McGregor got his first boxing win over Nate Diaz, which then convinced all the playmakers to actually do Mayweather vs. McGregor?

I know, odds are Diaz schools McGregor in a straight boxing match.

I just love this whole saga. It's so ridiculous, but when you've got Dana White, Conor and Floyd all speaking about this publicly and talking money, it seems way closer than when we were seeing fan-made posters pop up on social media.

• Paid Members

I know, odds are Diaz schools McGregor in a straight boxing match.

You think? Diaz's strongest weapon against Mcgregor in their two fights was the clinch and the ground game. Add in the fact that heavier gloves would nullify power some what and that Mcgregor won the second fight on points and lost the first after a knock down ... I think Mcgregor beats him in a boxing match.

• Paid Members

Mcgregor's striking (specifically with his hands) was on another level to Diaz's in both fights Shane O. 

The kicks did help in the 2nd fight, but Diaz barely landed a hand on Mcgregor in straight up exchanges. 

That said, it's nearly impossible to tell how it would play out in an actual boxing fight. On top of that, it's never going to happen. 

Archived