The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

What kind of sales is it?

I did Insurance sales with British Gas. Currently I'm selling IVA's and Trust Deeds for people struggling with debts, use the term selling loosely as due to criteria it's a product that's for a very specific type of person. The new role I have been headhunted for would be sales for awards shows, live events etc. for a very large marketing company.

Selling marketing services is a stressful thing. If it were me, I'd go with the easier option.

Yeah I had quite a few interviews and ended up with quite a few job offers in the end. 

I also think there are several ways to look at it, firstly chances are one interview won't go well (whether its iffy questions, the person not taking to you, you not feeling right etc) so its good to have a few and to put yourself out there. 

Secondly its bloody good practise, I have lost count of the number of interviews I have attended the last 12 months (I was job hunting anyway before leaving my job in April) and the more interviews I have done the more I have grown in confidence, said the right things (not too much, not too little) and have learned to adapt and put myself across well too. I say go for as many jobs as you feel comfortable for and even if its something you will probably say no too, its good interview practise if nothing else. 

• Paid Members

Already said on Twitter but well done mate! Best of luck with it.

I just had the following rant on Facebook:

Just had a meeting at a recruitment company where the woman was THE biggest patronising bitch I've ever met! She started by asking general questions about my experience and goals and then, bearing in mind this was NOT a job interview, she sighed, put her hands in her lap and said "Can I give you some advice?" She then proceeds to rip my CV to shreds, said it wasn't detailed enough and it needed more padding out with this, that and the other. My cover letter's too long and all that info should be in my CV and not to worry about keeping it to 1-2 pages. But she also kept repeating that employers only spend 7 seconds looking at applications so I need to make it stand out... by adding more info and increasing the number of pages?!

I gritted my teeth and said thank you for the feedback but what I really wanted to do was stand up, tell her to shove her advice up her flabby arse and flounce out of the room like a girl who already lined up TWO interviews (tbc) with a different recruitment company using the SAME CV AND COVER LETTER just 3 hours earlier.

In. Your. Face.

• Paid Members

One of those temp jobs came good. Start on Monday! Thanks for advice, chaps. No doubt I'll be back here next week when they realise I'm a shitarse

Well done, sir! The most important question though - is it near a Pound Bakery?

One of those temp jobs came good. Start on Monday! Thanks for advice, chaps. No doubt I'll be back here next week when they realise I'm a shitarse

Well done, sir! The most important question though - is it near a Pound Bakery?

It's in Trafford Park, so there will be a greasy burger van nearby.