The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Moderators

2) Tell them that you need flexible working patterns

;

All well and good as a general rule, but I have decided I'm never working anywhere again where I can't work from home at least one day a week, preferably two. What's a good tactful way of mentioning that / when is the right time to ask that kind of question?

(worth mentioning here I'm a contractor, for context as it's a bit different)

Open question to anyone, not just MichaelNumbers.

I'm starting a job with a bookies next week, I'm getting paid monthly, does anyone know if I might have to work a month in hand? I've always worked for individuals rather than a large company, I'm fucked if I have to wait til the end of June for a wage

I'm starting a job with a bookies next week, I'm getting paid monthly, does anyone know if I might have to work a month in hand? I've always worked for individuals rather than a large company, I'm fucked if I have to wait til the end of June for a wage

You'll get paid at the end of May mate.

I've been offered a temp office job for four months which sounds quite cool. Does anyone have any experience of temp office jobs? Like does it generally lead onto potential long term jobs if any positions open up? Or is it a risk doing this for four months and then being back on the job market looking for more jobs?

It's never a sure thing, although my current job started as a two-week temp from a Gumtree ad. I stayed there as a temp for two months, then got a fixed term contract, and then permanent. Regarding the payroll date query above, when I became a contracted employee it was a few days before payday. My pay on that day was just over half a months wages, because the company pays two weeks in arrears, two weeks in advance.

Question for managers: How easy is it to sack a contracted employee just for poor performance?

That's a piece of string question mate. In my experience it will depend on how robust your working practice in terms of monitoring performance is. If for example you only do annual appraisals then it can be quite difficult to argue that you've got a good system in place for monitoring performance. If you're doing something on a monthly basis you'll obviously have more evidence of how and when poor pefromance indicators were identified and whether or not the employee adressed them. I've mentioned it in this thread before but the free helpline from ACAS is a godsend for small businesses.

• Paid Members

My first job was temp work and it went permanent. There were a few people there who did similar. It was a good way to fill a short term need and get a good feel for if the person was a good fit I think.

I actually did a week and they asked for me next time something popped up and then I moved through a few temp places with them back filling before I took on something permanent.

I was pleased as I was really passionate about them as a business, but they were a bunch of cunts. Just an awful business. It does happen though.

On an unrelated note I fucking love my job these days. Absolutely love it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

First week in the temp job is going well, however I have been offered a good opportunity elsewhere on a permanent basis in a management capacity, the only thing I am worried about is potentially handing in my notice this soon into the temp job, I will probably work another few weeks to make a month of it but feel a bit of a dick handing in my notice after they gave me an opportunity when I was out of work, on the flip side during my interview they said the temp position could be anything up to 4 months and its possible they would have to give me two weeks notice if my role wasn't required, they are also aware that I may potentially be moving to another job (not this one mind) by August.

Should I feel like a dick or just go with it? The last thing I want to do is stay, turn down a good opportunity and then get cut in a few weeks if they don't need me, the people are really nice though so no complaints there.

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

It is a temp role, they will expect people to be looking for other work. They have said up to 4 months, and remember, they could get rid of you without nice at any time. You are in no way a dick securing yourself a better prospect, well done.

It is a temp role, they will expect people to be looking for other work. They have said up to 4 months, and remember, they could get rid of you without nice at any time. You are in no way a dick securing yourself a better prospect, well done.

I think the nice person in me feels I owe them more than a few weeks but as you said they could quite easily get rid of me, I think I feel bad that they have been really nice and have given me time with training and they would have to do the whole process again. 

That being said they knew I potentially had something lined up long term as they've been asking about it this week, only difference is that it's a different job but guess they don't have to know that. 

Urgh, what a mess. I'm stuck in something of something of a career rut, following the usual Call Centre promise of quick progression and promotion within 6 months of starting. Due to a massive change in circumstances I need to be earning around 23k basic to fund my transition due to a collossal NHS fuck up, and the vacancies that were promised. IE Team Leader after probation was more PR spin than Alistair Campbell.

The situation is thus, I have around 15 years Call Centre experience in fields from sales, training, development waste and change management, forecasting, project management, intranet building, process management, team management, warehouse and logistics management, failure demand, recruitment and exceptions management. However, much of that experience came through expanded or lack lustre jobroles such as 'Knowledge Owner' meaning that companies are unwilling to take the chance due to non titular placement, despite having demonstrable and and tangible experience and proof of achievement in all those fields.. I had an offer to be a Sales Manager for a dodgy as fuck outbound pensions comparison company, but took my current role because it had a a higher basic, but lower OTE and would be easier to transition as there are already 3 T people within the company already..

So what to do or where to go? I have an idea of setting up a consultancy looking at Call Centre Staff  training and retention, sitting through training and re defining recruitment and staff retention during and immediately after training as staff churn is beyond horrendous in Call Centres in this area ( Churn is around 40-60 per cent within 3 months of training completion). Slavic devotion to AHT and contracts means that staff are bundled in, ill trained and ill equipped to do their roles, and are left to flounder once live, as companies are more concerned about meeting short term targets, rather than looking at training and development, which would lead to a more stable and loyal work force and put less pressure on meeting targets as knowledge and skills gaps would be plugged.. It would also save a lot on recruitment costs as average cost  is around 30k locally for each advisor and without sorting the whole thing becomes a circular journey with staff jumping ship to the next call centre because there is no where for them to go or there is no people management or training structures in place, giving them very little reason to stay.

So yeah any ideas would be great, Cheers