The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I've been offered a temp office job for four months which sounds quite cool. Does anyone have any experience of temp office jobs? Like does it generally lead onto potential long term jobs if any positions open up? Or is it a risk doing this for four months and then being back on the job market looking for more jobs?

No hard and fast rule mate, headcount, spenditure freeze etc, but it never hurts. Don't worry about 4 months time, you can always temp again, plus if something better comes along you'll probably only be on a weeks notice.

Best of luck

• Paid Members

I've been offered a temp office job for four months which sounds quite cool. Does anyone have any experience of temp office jobs? Like does it generally lead onto potential long term jobs if any positions open up? Or is it a risk doing this for four months and then being back on the job market looking for more jobs?

I did a few temp office roles after I graduated and know quite a few people who did get full time positions out of it. Just don't hang your hat completely on it though.

Best bet is to take it and just play the field in terms of applications anyway. My manager's in my last few temp roles have been pretty accommodating if I needed to go to an interview.

Good luck with it!

Edited by Gus Mears

An interview I was meant to have that an agency got me has been postponed and I haven't heard back about it being rearranged.  Can't get in touch with the agency as they aren't returning calls.  It's really frustrating as the job and the company are bang on.

Has anyone here worked for Aldi before? I just got offered a trial shift after my interview went well, so it looks like I got it unless I cock up big time. It's full time hours and pays 8.40 an hour, so it looks very promising.

I haven't but I think it's pretty tough compared to the other supermarkets. One minute you'll be working on the tills then the minute it gets slightly quiet they will make you stack shelves before sticking you back on the tills. It always appears the Aldi supermarkets are quite under staffed.

8.40 is decent though. Can't fault that. Good job, hope you nail the trial.

An interview I was meant to have that an agency got me has been postponed and I haven't heard back about it being rearranged. Can't get in touch with the agency as they aren't returning calls. It's really frustrating as the job and the company are bang on.

Aren't returning calls? How big are they? If you need to speak to one specific person, and they're "busy" (we never are, just can't be arsed sadly) then tell the fuckers you'll hold and wait.

Failing that, call their bluff. Send an email saying :"As I'm unable to get in contact, should I contact said company directly" the consultant will shit their pants.

An interview I was meant to have that an agency got me has been postponed and I haven't heard back about it being rearranged. Can't get in touch with the agency as they aren't returning calls. It's really frustrating as the job and the company are bang on.

Aren't returning calls? How big are they? If you need to speak to one specific person, and they're "busy" (we never are, just can't be arsed sadly) then tell the fuckers you'll hold and wait.

Failing that, call their bluff. Send an email saying :"As I'm unable to get in contact, should I contact said company directly" the consultant will shit their pants.

In fairness, it was only from Monday.  Gave them a bell on Wednesday but the guy I deal with was out of the office.  Will try again in the morning and see what the score is.  They've been very good usually.

• Awards Moderator

Has anyone here worked for Aldi before? I just got offered a trial shift after my interview went well, so it looks like I got it unless I cock up big time. It's full time hours and pays 8.40 an hour, so it looks very promising.

Aldi work you hard but reward you for it too. They have really well structured career paths for those that want it. Grads on the management track start at £35k!

I'm a Store Manager at Aldi, if you've got any questions feel free to message me! :)

Aldi work you hard but reward you for it too. They have really well structured career paths for those that want it. Grads on the management track start at £35k!

Yeah but you get worked to the fucking bone trust me!!!

In fairness, it was only from Monday. Gave them a bell on Wednesday but the guy I deal with was out of the office. Will try again in the morning and see what the score is. They've been very good usually.

Good stuff, just preserve, don't worry about being annoying ;)

Cheers for the advise about the temp thing. I liked the look of the place when I went to the interview and they said it could be a long term thing but four months gives me a chance to see how it goes, for them to see how I get on (if I impress I'm sure they will keep me one way or another) and at least I know to be looking for work so can apply for various things at the end of the summer. Also 9-5 Mon-Fri with weekends off in time for summer will be amazing, as previously worked a lot of weekends so nice to go back to them hours. 

• Paid Members

Keith, you need to mither the bollocks out of agencies to get results, ringing again tomorrow is a great idea.

Briefcase, I got a weeks temp job when I was out of work that ended up going for 3 months. The only reason it stopped was I was offered a more sustainable job with another company. If they like you, they'll keep you.

Edited by Thunderplex

As an employer there are a few 'tips' I can give on what I look for with prospective employees...

1) Hit the points in the person specification... if you are asked in the person specification if you are conscientious then tell me... I know you are bullshitting but I can't progress to interview if you haven't at least pretended. 

2) When asked why you want the job be honest. I don't want to hear 'it's all I've ever wanted to do with my life' - I hear that one hundred times a year. Bring me something unique.

3) Know the job and the company. I got told by one interviewee recently that they hadn't read the job description because they were 'too busy'... so I was too busy to give them the time in the interview...

4) When you get asked the dreaded 'what are your strengths and limitations' question just say what they are! SELL YOURSELF! I know people don't like to brag but the next person will and they will be the one that I notice. Tell me proper limitations not 'I am too much of a perfectionist'. It screams that you are framing a positive as a negative. Be brutally honest, I appreciate that much more. 

5) Don't dither and go round the question. If you don't know just say so. I prefer someone I can mould and develop than someone who tries to bullshit their way through life. If you show me you have potential I will give you the job. If I think you are saying what might be the right answer you may as well give up. 

In short... be honest, say it as it is and admit when you aren't sure. I don't want a guy with a PhD in the subject if their attitude is shit. But that's the industry I am in. If you went to another industry they would want you to suck arse... its not my style personally but you have to play the game. 

Just a few other things...

As sad as it sounds you have to keep hounding these people. When you have 60 people applying for one post the employer is not going to be worried if one or two get pissy and go elsewhere... I find that most of the time you have to chase the employers for any kind of update especially if its agencies. I personally take every application seriously because I know people want jobs but there are a lot of employers that don't think far ahead in terms of reputation etc. 

If you go for an interview and they ask if you have any questions don't do any of the following:

1) Ask 'do we get paid sickness...'

2) Tell them that you need flexible working patterns

3) Disclose that you have a lot of family commitments/carers responsibilities

4) Mention pregnancy, maternity leave etc 

I say this because although it shouldn't be the case I know several employers that will hear any of those four things and already have the application in the bin before you walk out of the door. 

Edited by Michael_3165

Thanks for all the feedback.

The trial went well. Yeah, there wasn't a moment to breathe on the shop floor, but I'd rather have that than being sat on my arse all day. I hope get it as there really isn't much else around.