The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Blag it. So many clients I deal with have done the same so don't worry. Also don't be afraid to ask the SD and OD for their input as well. They'll love that, and see themselves as being listened to. Keep the OD on side, they hold the real power!

Oh and if you need help hiring sales people, send me a DM :)

I've worked for a supermarket for the last ten years. I suppose you could say that I've done alright out of it, I'm in a position now that is far above where I started, at 30 I've been able to buy a house which is now fully paid off, great holidays etc.

The only thing I'm missing is my soul.

Working for a big supermarket is absolutely soul destroying. I feel as though there's no way out, that I'm stuck in this godforsaken company until I can build up my pension (which they've royally fucked every colleague with over the last 6 months) and get the fuck out of this company.

SpursRiotFan I completely and wholeheartedly fucking salute you!

Edited by ThommoLincs

Probably not the right place to ask but seeing as it's the only relevant thread I will.

Im finishing my third year in college this year and want to go on and do English with Journalism as a degree. Looked at Coventry uni yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Anyone on here been to it in the past 5-8 years able to vouch for it?

I went to Warwick Uni and spent a bit of a time in Coventry itself (ie, went on nights out there during my first year) so from my extremely limited experience from being there - its a decent student city. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Ah thats good to hear. A family friend had mentioned it was rubbish for night life but that'd have been over 10 years ago. Didn't look to bad yesterday walking round the city.

• Paid Members

Thunderplex, I wasn't working with customers or anything. It was literally 10 hours a night, three nights a week of stock replenishment. My knees and back would be fucked at the end of a shift. Not for me.

As would mine be. Hope something comes up soon for you.

I went to Warwick Uni and spent a bit of a time in Coventry itself (ie, went on nights out there during my first year) so from my extremely limited experience from being there - its a decent student city. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Ah thats good to hear. A family friend had mentioned it was rubbish for night life but that'd have been over 10 years ago. Didn't look to bad yesterday walking round the city.

Yeah, Cov is a real student city and seems to be in better shape now than a few years back. My wife did her degree at Cov uni and a masters at Warwick. Warwick is very Tory though, but then a lot of Cov folk hate students as much as Muslims.

Yeah, Cov is a real student city and seems to be in better shape now than a few years back. My wife did her degree at Cov uni and a masters at Warwick. Warwick is very Tory though, but then a lot of Cov folk hate students as much as Muslims.

This isn't true at all, at least from my perspective.

The scores of internationals whose parents sent them to private boarding schools and the large proportion of Warwick students that go in to banking or finance might give off that vibe, but we were a pretty liberal/leftie bunch when I was there. Warwick has absolutely nothing on Durham, Oxford or Cambridge for toffs and Toriness.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

If this is probably the last year of it anyway, you should probably take the work and get some money whilst you figure out what you want to do with yourself, no? And even if it's not the last year the position is available go into it knowing you intend it to be your last year, and think about what you want to do and make some moves in the right direction so you're ready to go when it gets to November.

It's seasonal work so you should really be using the off season to explore your other options, not now when the work is on the table!