The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I've turned down a job with a wage rise off 2 grand per year as I would off made less not working Nights or weekends but I would absolutely never turn down a pay rise that's absolute lunacy.

I've turned down a job with a wage rise off 2 grand per year as I would off made less not working Nights or weekends but I would absolutely never turn down a pay rise that's absolute lunacy.

I had an interview yesterday for a new job, (I currently have a full time job, although this is more money/better hours etc), and feel i did alright in the interview. Now playing the dreaded waiting game, but why is it you always come out of these things thinking of all the things you could have said? I planned out for alot of things, and answers came naturally to me during the interview, but the second I got outside, all I could think was "OH GOD, I FORGOT X/Y/Z....".

Not holding my hope out at the moment, because of the above, but you never know and hopefully at very least I'll be able to get some good feedback for future opportunity's. 

• Paid Members

As I'm nearing the end of my short term service contract, I need to make extra effort to give my employers a good reason to make me permanent.

Today I gave them 1,599 good reasons not to. I really don't do myself any favours.

• Paid Members

I had an interview yesterday for a new job, (I currently have a full time job, although this is more money/better hours etc), and feel i did alright in the interview. Now playing the dreaded waiting game, but why is it you always come out of these things thinking of all the things you could have said? I planned out for alot of things, and answers came naturally to me during the interview, but the second I got outside, all I could think was "OH GOD, I FORGOT X/Y/Z....".

Not holding my hope out at the moment, because of the above, but you never know and hopefully at very least I'll be able to get some good feedback for future opportunity's. 

Then tell them. For my last interview (for the job I'm starting the week after next) I sent them a 2 pager with examples against each part of the job description prior to the interview, then checked in afterwards with a couple of points I hadn't had a chance to mention (positioning them as questions about the role), as well as asking whether there were any weakness to my interview as I'd appreciate the chance to address them. Job interviews are intrinsically horrible, it's worth doing whatever you can to stand out and put your best foot forward.

Edited by KJHenley

Yeah, I get that, although as I'm getting older and have done enough interviews, I do find its a combo of "find the right person for the role" but also heavy heapings of "do we as people like this guy/girl trying to get a job here" , IE there is way more personal input on this stuff than many would like to admit.

I might just be a bit jaded , but that's how I've found it both being the person having the interview (in some cases that worked out ok, other times not so much) but also as an employee currently hearing about others trying to come in ("oh god we'd never hire that person haha").

In terms of this interview I've just done, I missed off a few things but I also felt like I made a decent impression, by having a laugh/joke with them.

Again I'm not massively hopeful but I'll take whatever the outcome as a positive, and take that into other possible opportunities.

• Paid Members

As I'm nearing the end of my short term service contract, I need to make extra effort to give my employers a good reason to make me permanent.

Today I gave them 1,599 good reasons not to. I really don't do myself any favours.

Turns out I was in the right all along, and the three telling me otherwise (including a manager) were wrong.

Of course, this means that when I tried to put it right (according to their version of "right") I actually created a bigger cock up than I was led to believe I'd made in the first place.

I've still got a job, but I'm under review for the next 6 months.

• Paid Members

So, I'm leaving my subtitling job in four days! Then I start at uni the following week.

A mate of mine works nights at Sainsbury's, shelf stacking. He was able to get me a job there three nights a week for £90 a shift. So that'll be some nice, extra cash. But I don't see myself staying there much more than a few months, I'm not one for hard graft.

So, I'm leaving my subtitling job in four days! Then I start at uni the following week.

Can you go out on a bang and subtitle something hilariously and massively unprofessional?

But please let us know when you do it so we can all watch.