The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Anyone know the best way to begin doing some kind of office admin job even at an entry level? I've just come out of a career in care. While rewarding at first, it burnt me out completely in the end and I needed to step away despite the fact i'd progressed fairly quickly. I just feel a 9-5, Monday to Friday, 40 hours a week would suit me right now after working 80 hour weeks for the last few years. I have been using Indeed but am fairly new to this job hunting game. I've always gotten jobs through word of mouth in the past. I understand I won't be on great money going in to something new but I will give anything a go at the moment.

Edited by Sir Steve Redgrave

Anyone know the best way to begin doing some kind of office admin job even at an entry level? I've just come out of a career in care. While rewarding at first, it burnt me out completely in the end and I needed to step away despite the fact i'd progressed fairly quickly. I just feel a 9-5, Monday to Friday, 40 hours a week would suit me right now after working 80 hour weeks for the last few years. I have been using Indeed but am fairly new to this job hunting game. I've always gotten jobs through word of mouth in the past. I understand I won't be on great money going in to something new but I will give anything a go at the moment.

Are you in London? 

• Paid Members

Check out all housing associations in your area

They always have a bit of admin going and your background in care will help you with the fact that you can deal with people in difficult situations.

I have been struggling to find work in administration for a while now, I have lots of qualifications but have never worked and all administration jobs seem to want a years experience, I had struggled to even get interviews, the last bit of education I did was a diploma from uni, due to other reasons I wouldn't be able to do just shifts here and there at a drop of a hat and do the whole one week work then nothing, but a full time permanent position I ideally seek, any advice on places to start or to contact or anything?

Yeah, get to learn pivot tables, practice on Excel like a mad heathen, get good at prioritising workloads and effectively get used to being the office dogsbody, because you can. It's not all that different to care in terms of work loads and, the admin positions I have had have always asked for unpaid or extra time, to get things done to 'imaginary' deadlines, just because the bosses liked things closed off at the end of the day, irrespective of what time they ask you to do the impossible.

Seriously though, spend serious time prattling about with Excel, Outlook and try and get as much experience as you can booking the most random stuff. If you have organised any type of event whether it be training or meetings through previous jobs as well as keeping stats, then this is a massive boon

Don't be afraid to lie on a CV. And if you don't have to go straight from one full-time job to another, do some temping. It's much easier to get in that way, and if you're alright, either you'll transition to a permanent role or you'll at least have more experience of the role. 

• Paid Members

Do not under any circumstances lie on a CV. Embellish the truth of what you have done, but base it in reality. When you come to the interview, if the parts that you have lied come up, unless you have a perfect story linked to it, you will fail miserably.

• Paid Members

I've never lied on my CV except about my qualifications, which nobody ever checked. I also provided fake references (my mates) on multiple occasions. All you need to do is register a domain that's similar to the company you used to work for but can't get a reference from.

Never, ever lie on your CV. And if you put something on there (achievements, statistics, targets etc) make sure you're able to talk about them well and articulately, and confidently.

A daily conversation I have numerous times:"So your CV says you achieved 127% above target last year. That's good, how did you do that?"

"Erm well you know, it sorta just did, and yeah, made a few sales and bang, above targets................"

If it's on there and you've decided it's an achievement and worth writing about and promoting, be able to talk about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I was a loungeboy for three years. Just get yourself a thick neck, and it's always nice to smile and be chatty as there's nothing worse for a customer at a bar than a grouchy looking barkeep.

Anyone know if my contract says “one months notice” if I have to give it or are there ways around it?

A good/better job came up but want me to start on the 26th. I could fuck them off here and walk out, but don’t want to do that either.

• Moderators

Tips for bar work which I've picked up in yeeeeeears of working behind bars and propping them up.

You need to be everyone's mate. Be welcoming, funny, and confident. Be a little cheeky but not obnoxious with it. Read up on the days sports stories in order to talk to male patrons. You'll soon have them saying "And one for yourself, mate". Always make sure you've a bar towel hanging off your trousers. Remember, a single measure of Baileys and Port is 50ml as opposed to 25ml if you're using those little metal things to pour spirits. And most importantly, when you're busy, DON'T RUSH. NEVER EVER RUSH. The beer's not going to leave the pumps any faster and you'll be prone to fucking up with the drinks or on the till or something.

Edited by PowerButchi

Anyone know if my contract says “one months notice” if I have to give it or are there ways around it?

If your contract says 'one month' then you have to give one month.  You can try to negotiate it down - ask them to shorten it or offer to take any annual leave you have due off the end of it (and therefore not get paid any owing leave) but they can say no.

If you just walk out and start working elsewhere, you are still technically under your old company's employment until your notice expires and they could, should they wish, get a court order to stop you working elsewhere.  26th is weeks so you might be lucky?

When I left my last job I had 3 months' notice and they refused to knock even a week off of it just to be arsey ("because we can" was the response).  They also had a history of injunctions, calling new employers, and generally being tits when people tried to shorten notice periods.

If you breach your contract (ie walkout) there may implications for any bonuses or other payments you've received that they may try to reclaim - a friend of mine had this issue with Wetherspoons a few years ago.