The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Tips for bar work which I've picked up in yeeeeeears of working behind bars and propping them up.

You need to be everyone's mate. Be welcoming, funny, and confident. Be a little cheeky but not obnoxious with it. Read up on the days sports stories in order to talk to male patrons. You'll soon have them saying "And one for yourself, mate". Always make sure you've a bar towel hanging off your trousers. Remember, a single measure of Baileys and Port is 50ml as opposed to 25ml if you're using those little metal things to pour spirits. And most importantly, when you're busy, DON'T RUSH. NEVER EVER RUSH. The beer's not going to leave the pumps any faster and you'll be prone to fucking up with the drinks or on the till or something.

Cheers for the advice Butch. Appreciate it and it goes along with what most people have said.

I'm generally a pretty easy going guy who gets on with most people but I feel like I'm really going to be majorly out of my comfort zone, but that is probably due anyway. I start tonight with an induction shift but tomorrow I have a 16 hour shift with a Wales rugby game on... Baptism of fire! If I survive that there surely can't be a harder shift to do (except Black Friday) in a pub in Cardiff.

Edited by sammorgz

• Paid Members

Anyone know if my contract says “one months notice” if I have to give it or are there ways around it?

If your contract says 'one month' then you have to give one month.  You can try to negotiate it down - ask them to shorten it or offer to take any annual leave you have due off the end of it (and therefore not get paid any owing leave) but they can say no.

And the rest...

Ah cheers Ian, thought so. I knew there were potential repurcussions re payments etc.

Motherfuck, anyway.

3 months notice??? Wow! That's crackers!!!

Anyone know if my contract says “one months notice” if I have to give it or are there ways around it?

If your contract says 'one month' then you have to give one month. You can try to negotiate it down - ask them to shorten it or offer to take any annual leave you have due off the end of it (and therefore not get paid any owing leave) but they can say no.

And the rest...

Ah cheers Ian, thought so. I knew there were potential repurcussions re payments etc.

Motherfuck, anyway.

3 months notice??? Wow! That's crackers!!!

A candidate I placed recently had 6 months notice...and an ex MD had 9 months. Nuts

• Paid Members

Anyone got any experience working for DWP as an employment advisor? If so, Is it as bad as I'm to believe?

I believe Thunderplex works in a related job, if he's about...

I am indeed! It is what you make it. All depends on your attitude towards people, and what you want to help them achieve. I want people to get into employment, and get a genuine buzz when I get the call to say one of my people got a job. I also love watching people develop from feeling that they have no capability to do anything at all, to making changes in there lives to the point that they can get out of the runt they are in and move on. There are rules you have to follow, but it is tailored to people's personal capabilities. I was signing on for 7 months before I got back into work, and applied for it in that time, so I can see things from both side. If you want to have a proper chat about it, or have got any questions feel free to PM me.

• Paid Members

My last job had no formal notice period in any contract and I was in a three month probation period.

That was running to the end and they were talking of a three month notice period for me.

I left and gave them notice of two weeks, up to the end of the three month trial. They said I should have given a month as that's "normal" and what they would have to honour, which to be fair I would have if I didn't have another job which had an urgency in the role, but I said I didn't believe they would have to give me a months notice and that just seemed based in their logic because people are paid monthly

It was weird because I'd never had a job with no notice detailed anywhere. Other roles had a probation but it stated both sides should give a week and after the trial its 6 weeks for both sides.

Is there a legal standard if the contact omits it?

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I temped for a month up to the birth of our daughter, then emailed them my resignation as soon as my partner went into labour, at which point paternity kicked in for my new, permanent job. Was quite refreshing not to have to serve a tedious notice period.

• Paid Members

I'm in the middle of a months notice period at the moment and it is tedious. Just doing the absolute bare minimum of work that will allow me to get a reference if I need one down the line. Notice periods are like those few days in between Christmas and New Years.

Notice periods are there for the protection of the employee. If you were being made redundant, that's what the notice period is for. As long as the new employer is happy with it, you could start the next day, foregoing any pay that's due.