The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I have an interview for an admin job next week. I have a few admin type duties in my current job but nothing substantial. Any admin folk out there got any advice about how I can try and bag this? Cheers.

You will definitely need to mention your computer skills, especially on Microsoft Office. In an admin role in a Occ Health department you will most likely be typing up reports from OT's and writing letters. Possibly you will be looking at spreadsheets to interpret data (equipment stock-take)so mention you are shit-hot at Excel and also work out how many words-per-minute you can type, they will probably ask for that. Also state that you are organised, give any examples of you arranging something, you will most likely be asked to arrange meetings, take minutes and prioritise workloads.  

• 3 months later...

About 600000, most of them linking you to other job sites. There's also a shit load of what I reckon are bogus jobs from start up agencies looking to build a client database. Could be way off though.

Sometimes I think it's just better to contact employers directly, depending on the industry.

I work in recruitment, and the amount of false shit job ads that are out there is insane. There are a few good websites and agencies, and a load of crap.

If you want to ping me a DM with brief overview of what you're looking for/all about, more than happy to point you in the right direction.

My advice on general applications though, is ALWAYS FOLLOW UP WITH A PHONE CALL. I see hundreds of CVs a day, and the amount of people who never call back, or chase their applications is depressing.

Good luck

• Paid Members

What kind of work have you done in the past and what area do you live in? The above advice regarding contacting businesses directly and trying Call Centre work is very sound indeed.

I was made redundant in May and I’ve pretty much come to a forgone conclusion I’m going to possibly try my hand at call centre work. 

Universal Jobmatch is quite possibly my least favourite job search site on the planet, mind. Indeed is quite possibly the best of a very bad bunch though. As Slapnut said, they're all shit. 

Call centre work is great because they're generally easy jobs to get and often pay weekly. Downsides are you will want to shoot yourself after a time.

I did some work in the non emergency out of hours doctor service call centre for about 3 weeks. I didn't answer the phone once. I just was always typing when a "supervisor" walked past. Having said that, there really is only so much you can look at on the Internet.