The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Sorry to interrupt... whatever's happening here but just had to bitch (I know shocker)

I left the LV job after a lot longer than I wanted to thanks to lying cunt face making the atmosphere fucking toxic and got a job doing PPI. Good money, knew someone there and it was a very nice place. 

Anyway, after all the training and the agency never ending to hound me, I failed the accreditation and had to leave. I am absolutely gutted because, even though it was always meant as a stop gap I messed up a few stupid things and let myself down. I just wanted to put it out there cause I feel so... stupid really. Stupid and gutted. 

But I came home and applied for three jobs already. Kinda had to, otherwise it was sit and mope. That does no one any good.  

• Paid Members

Without being condescending, its good that a) you've recognised that you were the one at fault instead of blaming it on someone/something else and b) you've had the drive to get straight back into applying for jobs. Nicely done.

Edited by KJHenley

I didn't think for one minute that I'd be asking this question but I've just seen a smallish, local theatre advertising an apprenticeship role for what is essentially a general assistant/coffee bitch. For whatever reason, it's something that I'm really interested in and would love to do. I've always wanted to be involved behind the scenes of event productions and this would be a perfect opportunity to get my foot in the door properly. Anyway, I'm knocking up a CV in Word and I'm pleased with how it looks but I'm suffering a terrible case of writer's block. I just need a short paragraph for the front page of my CV to set the tone properly. I won't have a problem with the longer cover letter but whatever I'm trying to condense into a nice, brief opening piece of copy is sounding (to me, at least) horrible. I'm essentially trying to say that I've always been interested in the logistics and putting together of live event productions and performances and that I'd bring an enthusiastic and dedicated personality to their team, and that I'm eager to learn etc etc. It's one of those evenings where I can't seem to put words together. If anybody could throw me together a few brief sentences essentially summing up what I'm trying to get at then that would be a big help.

• Paid Members

Sorry to interrupt... whatever's happening here but just had to bitch (I know shocker)

I left the LV job after a lot longer than I wanted to thanks to lying cunt face making the atmosphere fucking toxic and got a job doing PPI. Good money, knew someone there and it was a very nice place.

Anyway, after all the training and the agency never ending to hound me, I failed the accreditation and had to leave. I am absolutely gutted because, even though it was always meant as a stop gap I messed up a few stupid things and let myself down. I just wanted to put it out there cause I feel so... stupid really. Stupid and gutted.

But I came home and applied for three jobs already. Kinda had to, otherwise it was sit and mope. That does no one any good.

I wouldn't blame yourself too much. I'm in the middle of my accreditation at the minute and so far I have 1 Amber with 8 attempts left. I know how easy it is to be tripped up by a small oversight or a part of the process not properly explained.

• Paid Members

I just need a short paragraph for the front page of my CV to set the tone properly. I won't have a problem with the longer cover letter but whatever I'm trying to condense into a nice, brief opening piece of copy is sounding (to me, at least) horrible. I'm essentially trying to say that I've always been interested in the logistics and putting together of live event productions and performances and that I'd bring an enthusiastic and dedicated personality to their team, and that I'm eager to learn etc etc. It's one of those evenings where I can't seem to put words together. If anybody could throw me together a few brief sentences essentially summing up what I'm trying to get at then that would be a big help.

Monkee's offered to help people with CVs in the past. You could try fluttering your eyelids at her.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

To be honest, your CV should be about your skills and achievements. The cover letter is the place to wax lyrical about what you hope to do. Use the cover letter to incorporate your skills and personality, and how they can be transferred with your passion to benefit the new role.

If you're giving up full time work for an apprentice position, that shows your commitment.

• 5 months later...

I got myself a job which I'm fairly happy about, just passing the interview and being by far the best in a group interview is a confidence boost in itself as I have anxiety and shit. It's just a retail position, but money's money. I have a question though. At the interview they asked me what size I was for my uniform. The odd thing is though is that they've asked me to attend a "dresswear fitting" before the job starts. Why do I need to got a fitting if they've already asked me my size ? I'm confused!

I have an interview for an admin job next week. I have a few admin type duties in my current job but nothing substantial. Any admin folk out there got any advice about how I can try and bag this? Cheers.

Edited by Sexy Dad

• Paid Members

I too have an interview on Thursday for a summer position with LEC language supervising the foreign kids who are over to learn the language. Surprised I got the interview as I have no real experience in the role but thought it would be a good way to spend a summer and add to the CV. Could anyone who has done something similar and could share their interview experience? 

• Paid Members

It's occupational health.

The admin may use specific systems. Try to find out what systems they use, and see if any comparisons can be drawn between what you kno and what they have. Most systems are quite similar, so there will be some links. When you say you have done a bit of admin, what constitutes as a bit? List it down, you probrably know more than you think you do. Research the company, employers like people who have taken the time to learn about the place. Use the Internet and if possible, pop down to the place and get some leaflets. Be nice to reception, they will remember you and the always get asked how people are when they arrive for Interviews. Best of luck with it.