The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Everything seems to have come together for the first assignment, after I reached out to one more person last night and now find myself just waiting on confirmation that we're good to shoot tomorrow afternoon. I talked it over with my flatmate and he gave me pretty much the same advice as everyone on here. Right now I'm feeling like I should tough it out this year, hopefully next year will be more at my speed, and if I get any of the jobs I applied for yesterday then they're worth dropping out for. It's still not really what I signed up for, but it beats call centres and supermarkets.

• Paid Members

I always thought Uni Lecturers were rather distant. Nothing like college or school teachers. Uni lecturers always gave me the impression of "I'll talk, you listen, and don't ask me fucking questions". Not pleasant.

I found it varied between people but if you went in and made it clear you had tried to get there or were 80% there and needed a guide on the 20% they were sound, if you went in and gave the impression you hadn't tried (even if you had, it was what they thought that mattered) they would help.

My mate would get pissy because they helped me out more than him, but he just asked them to do it for him in so many words.

He also asked me to do it in so many words too, you'd give him a guide and it wasn't good enough, he wanted it handing too him.

He got pissed off with me because I used to help out the German students on a couple of topics, but they tried and worked with me where he didn't.

There were a couple of knobs on the staff though, and one bloke who was clearly a smart bloke but English being a 4th language for him made it very difficult for the students.

One economics head threatened to throw me off the course because I questioned the quality of service I was receiving in my first year for mine and the tax payers money after stuff was cancelled willy nilly and myself and others were pissed about with piss poor administration. Apparently it wasn't what he meant when he asked for feedback.

When we were locked out of an exam before the start by a good time because they used fire doors to get in and then criticized us for being late I was pissed, tore them a fucking new one outside hall after that.

Edited by Tommy!

So about 6 weeks ago I applied for a senior management level role with a company. The role being CEO. I pretty much just applied because it would be my dream job in 15 years and I wanted experience of the hiring process.

I may have slightly embellished my CV and over egged myself in the first couple of meetings with the company. I didn't see the big deal at the time as I never expected it to go very far. 2 weeks ago I was invited to meet with the Managing Director, Sales Director and Operations Director for what I thought was for them to decide if I should make it through to final stage. After 2 hours, they said that they felt I was head and shoulders above the other people in the frame and they would like to offer me the job there and then. I sat in stunned silence and nodded my acceptance.

I've now signed the contract, more than doubling my salary and have a strategy meeting with the board next week to implement the first 6 months of market growth before officially starting my position the following week. The realisation of just how far out of my depth I am has now set in and I am tempted to come clean. However, I've handed in my notice with my current employer so I would have nothing to fall back on.

I'm looking for advice, should I come clean or try and blag the first 6 months as much as possible and hope that I grow into the role as I go along?? I feel like Leonardo Di Caprio in Catch Me If You Can!!

• Paid Members

Blag it I'd say.

Don't be afraid to say if you're genuinely fucked, but I bet when you get in there you'll find another director in a similar situation.

You're self aware too, I cant say that for some I've met over the years.

Best thing to do is keep confident but not cocky.

If you've over egged yourself but not lied you can pick it up with effort.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

K, give it a go.

It's not a huge company, you've clearly got something they like and you've earned a chance at the job.

If you don't feel comfortable after a few weeks then you can explain, politely leave and will easily find work elsewhere.

Congratulations and good luck.

• Awards Moderator

If after a multi-stage process with a two hour final interview they still offer you the job, they are convinced you are right for it. You're either an amazing liar (~exaggerator), they're mugs, or they've seen something in you.

Unless they're fresh out of uni it seems unlikely three senior management would be completely hoodwinked. Use it as an opportunity.

• Paid Members

Juan, look at the positive, take what you know already and strive to fucking excel in every module of this year.

When it comes to others and helping them, do the minimal, it's hard to do, but fuck them and concentrate on who matters ... you.

Almost all higher ups are blaggers out of their depth.

It's common in a lot of places, its called the Peter principal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

Strangely enough, I actually spoke about the Peter principal in the interview. Stating that appointments at such an early stage in the company were vitally important and we need to avoid using the Peter principal when screening candidates and instead forming a model of what we feel each role needs and finding the right people who fit in with our ethos and template.