The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Does anybody else think this just sounds like some shady pyramid scheme?

Nah nothing dodgy, you can really make £2000 a month from home!

(but seriously, let me know before you sign up and I'll send you some leaflets.  I'll come round your house if you want?)

• Paid Members

Two job offers on the table. One is an investment broker, decent basic, good OTE. The other is an admin role at a tech startup which is only 21k. However, I am leaving whichever job I take in mid-August to go on my Asian trip. So, do I take the broker job, which is far more stressful but potentially more lucrative, or just take the admin job for the easy pay check? I'm leaning toward the latter, but any thoughts welcome.

• Paid Members

Yeah, may as well go with the broker job because you won't last the full 3 months in either anyway...

I will this time. I just need cash for the holiday. My girlfriend won't let me quit. The bitch.

• Awards Moderator

So a CV..

Better chance of people looking at if its on one page or over two?

Neither if its not formatted correctly. Get the layout right first. Try and keep it to two.

I mentioned over the weekend I got offered a full time job in a management capacity, have had the contract and other bits emailed over but I am a little worried that because I didn't leave my old job on good terms that when it comes to references they might screw me over (they might equally not but its a worry). 

Do companies really take references seriously? I have read what they can and cannot ask but are they likely to go that in-depth if the position has pretty much been offered or is it just a simple task of my old employers confirming I worked for them etc?

I haven't done anything bad such as get a criminal record or anything so it isn't any deep background checks, just simple job references and are they likely to just do one (e.g first reference or two?). 

I guess my main concern is handing in my notice to this temp job and then the references going tits up and me being out of work again, I need to be sure the references have gone through before I hand in my notice.....twitchy bum time? 

You know it's illegal to give a bad reference right?

They'll probably just confirm your dates of employment through some HR bod. Dont worry

Also, just provide them with email addresses and the generic office number, not DDIs

Edited by SuperBacon

You know it's illegal to give a bad reference right?

They'll probably just confirm your dates of employment through some HR bod. Dont worry

Also, just provide them with email addresses and the generic office number, not DDIs

I thought all that changed? 

Fingers crossed! I know one of my references will be fine so hopefully they go with the first one and not the second. 

• Paid Members

I'm not recommending that you do this, but one of the jobs I was offered today, I gave a fake name and my home number as a reference and put on a heavy cockney accent and said how great I am. Worked for me.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

I'm not recommending that you do this, but one of the jobs I was offered today, I gave a fake name and my home number as a reference and put on a heavy cockney accent and said how great I am. Worked for me.

Well make sure you don't put that number as an emergency contact then!