The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

So its a bit of a weird one.

I've officially finished Uni today with my final hand in, and have applied for a MA in Arts Management (venue, event and all that kind of management) with Spa again. I work on my Bar at my SU and help with the running of events there, as well as working closely with some of the clubs in Bath for their events, but I'm now back at home for the summer.

With me heading to Fringe for my comedy show in August, and the running and production of that, when it comes down to the interview for my course as there is usually one, does anyone think I'd need to show any further prior experience in running events/venue etc to show I have a decent grasp on what I'm working with? It could end up being as easy as speaking to the clubs in Bath and trying to get back once or twice a week to help with the running of nights (I've been sleeping on couches all year) that mix both live bands and DJ's in order to show I'd have more relevant experience by September, but it'd be of great cost to me for travel working pretty much for free.

I know this is a job thread, but right now this idea is as close to unpaid intern as I can specify with regards to where I want my career to go next.

• Paid Members

Over the last two days I've applied for 46 jobs. I'm really hoping I get something soon rather than arsing around on JSA for weeks on end.

How are you applying for these jobs Monkee, online applications via Hayes/Reed? Or via agencies, company websites?

• Paid Members

Over the last two days I've applied for 46 jobs. I'm really hoping I get something soon rather than arsing around on JSA for weeks on end.

How are you applying for these jobs Monkee, online applications via Hayes/Reed? Or via agencies, company websites?
Via LinkedIn mostly (direct and company pages), then proactively looking at related company websites, Guardian Media page, Reed and agency websites, etc.

Also did a blog post today so if anyone feels like sharing... http://bit.ly/hire-JJ

Edited by Monkee

Question for the guys who've been to uni. I'm just finishing first year of a BA and my first two assignments have scored a B2 and a B3. Now, it might just be the way they write it but the feedback seems really harsh to me and I was disappointed with the grades. But speaking to others on the course it looks like I'm amongst the better grades. Also Googled a bit and apparently Glasgow has a very tough grading system so I feel a bit better after that but just wondered if anyone else was plagued with self doubt when getting graded/feedback?

• Paid Members

Question for the guys who've been to uni. I'm just finishing first year of a BA and my first two assignments have scored a B2 and a B3. Now, it might just be the way they write it but the feedback seems really harsh to me and I was disappointed with the grades. But speaking to others on the course it looks like I'm amongst the better grades. Also Googled a bit and apparently Glasgow has a very tough grading system so I feel a bit better after that but just wondered if anyone else was plagued with self doubt when getting graded/feedback?

I would go and ask for further feedback and clarification if you don't feel the grades and comments you got were appropriate. Not sure what subject you are doing, but if it's humanities/social science/arts it's highly subjective and a good piece of work for one person can easily be deemed shit by another.

It took me two years to pluck up enough courage to go to lecturers and ask for additional comments and feedback and my grade improved significantly when I did. If nothing else, you should get some extra information on what they specifically are looking for and a fair amount of the battle is catering to what individual lecturers like (if you're doing an essay based subject anyhow).

Ultimately, you're the one paying for the course and you have every right to challenge things if you don't think they are right. One other thing is to do the unit feedback things at the end of each semester (if you have them). I have a few friends who are academics and they all genuinely pay close attention to what they get back.

Edited by Gus Mears

Thanks for the advice mate. It's Childhood Practice so it's under Education and it was two essays and an action plan. The marker was someone who's not part of the teaching team so I'd need to speak to the course lead about further feedback. The class notes I have and the Power Point from the teaching clash with a major point that she's made on the first one. She wanted me to discuss personal experiences more but the teaching was geared towards discussing local and national changes in legislation and asked for personal experiences in the second part.

We're supposed to highlight three areas that we specifically want feedback on but I don't seem to have been given that this this time round. I'll have a chat with the course lead and see what she says. The costs of the course are being part grant funded and part employer met so it's not actually costing me anything. The grades are also well clear of the minimum for progression to the postgraduate so I think I'll calm myself down a bit and review the work and feedback again over the weekend.

Question for London people here, I've been offered a job in the borough of Tower Hamlets, mostly working in and around Bethnal Green, I'm not keen on living in any part of London (No offence intended.) but they are offering about four times what I currently get paid so it's a tempting prospect.

I don't want to really uproot either as it means my son and I will be slightly isolated from family and he's finally got some stability in his life.

Do you think it's worth the risk just for further future financial gain and what would be better, renting for a year/s or just outright buying a property? At this moment in time I could probably stretch to around £600k.

Obviously I've researched bits and bobs but I'm only just starting to take the offer seriously so any input from those who live, work, have property in London would be appreciated on the quality of life, property and prospects it could potentially offer to not only myself but for my son in the future.

Thank-you in advance.

• Paid Members

I'd recommend living in Herts or Essex and commuting, that part of London is piss easy to get to via train and is a quick commute. Buying or renting in parts of Herts/Essex with a good commute link will work out so much cheaper than a place in London, even somewhere considered not that desirable like Bethnal Green.

Fuck me, kids have to work so hard these days. Uni was a right doss when I went and it was pretty fucking easy to get a job when you came out.

Yeah, I spent two and half years getting fucked up almost every day and barely attending a lecture. I crammed a bit of revision right at the end and knocked out a half decent dissertation and somehow bagged a 2-1. Not that I'm proud.

I'd recommend living in Herts or Essex and commuting, that part of London is piss easy to get to via train and is a quick commute. Buying or renting in parts of Herts/Essex with a good commute link will work out so much cheaper than a place in London, even somewhere considered not that desirable like Bethnal Green.

Yeah agree with this. Bethnal Green is a shit hole trust me you don't want to be living there. 

With the money you may have I would suggest somewhere Essex way such as Woodford, Buckhurst Hill or Loughton, only a 30 min ride tops on the Central Line.