The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

I've not looked into anything yet as it's just something that came to mind yesterday. Supposedly my current job is secure for the time being, but I've heard that before at places I don't work at anymore.

What I don't want to be doing is going back to doing endless job interviews and having to explain why the education section of my CV is so shit.

I think it was Loki who mentioned a career in music working with the disabled, and a friend of mine had a music therapist for his foster child, however in my present state I'm massively unqualified to even train for something like that.

• Paid Members

So I got a call from a company the other week after they'd seen my CV online. It's really nicely located for me, being just a short bus ride away - so sick of working in central London. So anyway, had two interviews with them, gave them my salary expectations etc. Today they offered me the position of Business Development Manager, plus an extra £5,000 basic per year more than I asked for plus commission of 20% of my salary, so should be on at least £30,000 a year. Winner. It's a shame I'll have to give notice in less than two months. I'm wondering if I could work something out with them whereby I piss off for six weeks, unpaid, and they let me come back after.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Have only had the offer letter and won't see the contract until Monday but it's a three month probationary period so I'm thinking it might be one of those deals where either party can walk away with a weeks notice during the probationary period.

Have only had the offer letter and won't see the contract until Monday but it's a three month probationary period so I'm thinking it might be one of those deals where either party can walk away with a weeks notice during the probationary period.

Probationary periods are great as you can waiver notice in most cases completely. I'd avoid dropping them totally in the crapper though as recruitment costs are a fricking ball ache. Change in circumstances, is usually a good win- win for leaving in that case. love the job people etc, however sudden circumstances change has meant that I am unable to continue in my current role. Means youll leave on good terms etc etc.. 

• Paid Members

Well, my plan was to show them my excellence in the next couple months and then speak with the MD, say my partner "surprised" me with this once in a lifetime opportunity and see if there's any chance of coming back after.

Well, my plan was to show them my excellence in the next couple months and then speak with the MD, say my partner "surprised" me with this once in a lifetime opportunity and see if there's any chance of coming back after.

Yeah, sounds good. Clearly depends on the company, however I've left two, one because of back injury and the other because I had a better offer elsewhere and if they both still existed would have had me back so, hope it works buddy

Whilst on the subject of jobs to those who has followed my story, I have nearly completed my first week in my new job after leaving the temp one which I really liked, felt comfortable but there were no guarantees it would last more than a few months. I left on really good terms in the end, brought in lots of sweets and just made myself look as classy as possible after being there a month, they've thanked me and wished me well and said they will let me know if anything permanent comes up in a few months just incase I don't get on well at my new job so chuffed with that.

As for the new job, so far so good, very challenging and lots to learn very quickly although the manager training me (in my manager role) kind of hinted that things are all not well at the location I will be heading too in a month or so time and that the general manager isn't doing too well but they will 'tell me a plan' so get the impression that not only am I going to a challenging location in a new industry but that I am on some big brother secret mission against the boss I will be working under. This wasn't part of the script? 

• Paid Members

Well done on getting the job, Spurs. Sounds great and hopefully they'll keep the role open while you're away.

I had an interview on Tuesday for a social media marketing role which will involve a fair bit of European travel as well as Miami. It sounds great and I'd really like to get it. There's s 2nd and potentially 3rd round of interviews though so I'll have to see how it goes. The Head of Marketing who interviewed me said she had 5 rounds before getting the job!

I have another interview tomorrow with a charity but it's only a temporary contract covering maternity leave. Then I have two more interviews lined up next week - one with a tech company and the other with a brand new museum that's opening in London next year which I'm also excited about. I hope someone gives me a chance soon.

In the meantime I've had a few shifts in a local pub which has been really nice. Most of the people in there are Daily Mail / The Sun readers though so you can imagine the conversations I overhear. I also got asked out by a guy who wanted to take me to an 80s disco. Unfortunately I'm working that night - damn. And there's another regular guy who's Irish and looks like Alan Tudyk. Wish it was him who'd asked me to the 80s disco!!

• Paid Members

Had an interview Monday for Deputy Manager of a nightclub in Bath. Thinking it went really well. That and a masters in Arts Management and I may finally be able to prove to myself that whatever disorder I have with my anxiety and Aspergers is never going to stop me living a pretty awesome life.

• Paid Members

Does anyone have any experience of working for O2? I've got an interview tomorrow a role as an O2 Guru which is Full Time, much better than the part time job I've had for the last two years.

If I get it, me and the wife can finally have the chance to save properly again

I don't personally, but a good mate of mine worked in their telesales team and said they were an excellent group to work for.

He did leave a few months ago, but that was more to do with his manager promising nonexistent promotions than anything O2 did as a company. Is an O2 guru an advisor role?

Edited by Gus Mears

This is probably the most ridiculous question, but it's been a year since I graduated and... erm... how do you get a job?

Since I finished university, I've been dipping into the old "content mills" as a way of making some money, but the pay has been so pathetic that even whilst back at mums I ended up worryingly into my overdraft. So I've been trying to get copywriting work... nothing. I've also been looking for casual part-time work to free up some space for my writing portfolio... nothing. In the past year, I've received a grand total of no interviews, two rejection letters and one phonecall.

So, eventually I bit the bullet and signed on. They made me meet with some CV expert who insisted that, with some minor tweaks, my CV was utterly fine and that there's nothing wrong with neither my qualifications nor my experience. Two weeks later, and they're forcing to me to take a two-day "create a CV" course! Is it not enough that their own employee helped me a matter of weeks ago, and was certain I was "fine"!?

They're also, six weeks down the line since they started paying me, already threatening me with a "work placement" stacking shelves at Asda. I mean, for fuck's sake, I was seriously concerned that I'd struggle to find work by the time I returned home, but even my worst nightmares failed to conjure up this scenario.

• Awards Moderator

In the past year, I've received a grand total of no interviews, two rejection letters and one phonecall.

Then your CV isn't fine. You should at least be getting phone interest from recruitment consultants.

Either the content is weak or the structure is wrong and hiding your ability.

There are many CV templates around to help structure it. If it's lack of experience in your field, you should consider carpet-bombing employers and agencies with a cover letter & CV to generate interest and get feedback.

Set up job alerts on sites that carry roles you like then you'll have a daily feed of emails to work through.

Good luck :thumbsup: