The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Yeah I've worked in the catering industry and would clear on average £250 a week in tips on top of my wages so was very good money. 

It's all about reading your guests and saying what they want to hear. And of course cash tips were even better. 

• Paid Members

20%?? That's not even the done thing in America you nutter!

10%, unless the service was rubbish. In that case, fuck all. 10% is the unofficial rule over here isn't it?

Edited by PunkStep

What's the average tip these days, as a percentage of the bill?

It varies per person but think more people tend to do around £5 now as the standard average and it may be either just above or under 10%. 

That's what I found anyway but it would depend on cultural background too, not many Chinese tipped I found, or if they did they were the very wealthy type but maybe they have higher standards and I was shit? Who knows. I've had a few £10 or £20 though from groups or couples but it would always average itself out I found.

Waitresses though would always do better on a weekend, one or two girls I worked with could take home up to £200 on a 12 hour Saturday shift. I think the highest I ever did was around £150 in comparison and thats like a one off highest but some girls would regularly take home bucketloads. 

Edited by Briefcase

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The amount of work coming in has dropped loads and I'm starting to worry that redundancies are coming. As I'm on the shitty contract and not related to anyone higher up (meow) I don't fancy my chances.

I can't be doing with going back to the 2010-14 bollocks of being in work one month and at the Jobcentre the next, competing with 10,000 other generic office workers for shit jobs.

How would an uneducated grunt like me go about getting a proper qualification and aiming for a "career" instead of just a means to pay the bills?

• Paid Members

Civil Service/local government is a really good bet if you can get it. While the pay generally isn't amazing, the work/life balance is quite good and once you're in it's like trying to leave the mafia or something. It's 4 Lyfe Brother.

If it's anything like the local authority I work for, they are bloody desperate to send you on training courses every three seconds.

I'm only planning on being there for 18 months until doing a Masters, but every single other person in the team has been there at least five years and has been promoted at least once. We are particularly 'local jobs for local people' though, in that my manager would rather promote an imbecile from within than hire someone competent from outside.

Only three of us have a degree out of the team of nine and frankly, mine had nowt to do with me getting the job.

Good luck with the job search.

Edited by Gus Mears