The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Had a call about two possible jobs, full time ones. They just called back and said they were a traditional company and if I smoked or had tattoos. That was a new one for me!

That's ridiculous, but not uncommon. There is a rather largish FMCG company that only hires white, British people who don't smoke or have tatts etc. The owner mentions this every time she rang with a brief, even though it's fucking illegal!!!

Yeah, it's ridiculous, and illegal. That's pretty worrying.

Monkee, I got very despondent after not getting a job after an interview, they didn't give me the job because they thought I would get bored with it. I appreciated the honesty but it knocked me back and I drank a lot. However I've stuck at it and this week alone I've had 5 calls about jobs that suit, one from someone who saw my cv online and I hadn't contacted them.

It's a tough slog, and as mentioned your self esteem takes a beating. I'm trying to view it as either soul destroying or character building. Rejection is part of the game and I know a job isn't going to fall into my lap. Very best of luck to you, mate, you deserve it.

• Paid Members

Thanks for all the positivity. I think I'm just having an off few days - massive headache today.

However, I just went for another interview this morning. This is another VERY cool job which I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. Although it's a general marketing position rather than specifically social media I'm really hoping they take a chance on me. It's for a new museum opening in London next year.

I'm going to try to sleep off this headache and then get back to applying for more this afternoon though. I've saved a few jobs on LinkedIn so still keeping at it.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Means a lot.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

I didn't get the job from yesterday. Just had an email to say they won't be progressing with my application. Fuck.

I really wanted that one. It's the Postal Museum opening next year. They have an underground train ride called Mail Rail and everything. Fuck.

• Paid Members

Is anyone, or has anyone done an apprenticeship recently? I'm thinking it's time for a big change in career having been in my rather dead end job for the last 10 years and fancy something which is more rewarding, allows me to be more creative. Not entirely sure what I want to do but would love to get into something photography or film based but just wondering if anyone has been through an apprenticeship who could pass on their thoughts etc. 

In regards to my earlier job post, I decided to stay where I am rather than moving jobs as its just moving from one stopgap to another.

How long should it take jobs to get back to you from when you apply when I can't see a closing date? New to all this as was employed with British Gas for 7 years and that was my first proper job. Ended up a manager in that contact centre so got plenty experience but was recently made redundant. I'm getting nervous when a job doesn't reply within a few days. I've had a careers advisor and a CV reviewer look at my CV and tell me it's fine - am I just being impatient and should expect to hear from a few within a few weeks?

I went back to doing telesales as a quick stopgap until I get a management position and the telesales roles were getting back to me sometimes the same day I applied, ended up with so many offers and interviews out of them. Is it just because I'm now applying for higher roles I'm not hearing so quickly?

• Paid Members

Telesales roles have a huge turnover of staff usually and are constantly recruiting, so you'll always hear from them pretty quickly if you've got the relevant experience. Anything more high level can take a bit longer, in my experience. Especially if you're applying to a big company.

Usually you hear back within a week if its an application, maybe a bit longer but usually within two weeks you will hear back from all your jobs you've applied for.

I do tend to ask at interviews when the decision date is with a view of how much notice I would need to give my current employer. 

Got two interviews this week, one today, one Thursday. Was bricking it a bit but remembered to focus on giving the best account of myself and not to worry about things I have no control over. Once this one is done, I'm not going to dwell on it.

• Paid Members

Got two interviews this week, one today, one Thursday. Was bricking it a bit but remembered to focus on giving the best account of myself and not to worry about things I have no control over. Once this one is done, I'm not going to dwell on it.

Well done. The hardest thing is actually getting to interview stage, so you're doing well. What you need to remember about interviews is that you are only there because something in your application or cv stood out over the other 100's who went for the job. They already like you and what you can do for them, all you need to do is prove them right.

What really helped was the agency who put me forward for it met with me an hour beforehand to prep me for it. Really set me at ease and thought it was classy of them to do that. The interview went well, it was more a conversation than a Q&A so I always feel that is a sign it went well.

Even if I don't get it, my interview technique is improving, and as you say, my CV is getting noticed.

Didn't get the job, but not being despondent and hitting the booze though. Got some helpful feedback from them, apparently there wasn't enough substance in my answers so that's something to focus on. The agency are lining me up for another role so keeping upbeat and hopeful, plus I've an interview Thursday to focus on.

On the plus side, pulled a girl last night who demanded I do her up the council, so every cloud and all that.

• Paid Members

Hm. There's never any substance to my answers in interviews. I just make it seem as though I'm saying loads of substantial stuff by using my hands a lot and stretching out my words. Just ultimate bullshit.