The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Less than two months, yeah. For sure, very decent. I think he's eager to retain good salespeople, given the quality of our client base - he doesn't want call centre types. So he's doing me a favour, but he has his reasons!

EDIT: Actually, does anyone know if retaining this decently paid, full-time job is going to affect my student maintenance loans and grants? They can't find out what you're earning unless you tell them, right? Usually the application form just asks about unearned income (interest on savings etc), but I'm not sure...

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to bag myself an interview for next week,  its essentially for the same job I have although maybe a bit more technical, but does pay a bit more, (I work in IT support), and its in the same town that I live in, which basically ticks all the boxes for me for "Things I'm looking for in a job".

Just have to do my research on the company itself and hope for the best.

Update on this: since the first interview, I was asked back for a second the week after, and have been waiting on an official answer for almost 3  weeks now hah.

My last correspondence was "we're moving in the right direction, just awaiting some more admin" , which is giving me some minor hope, although I don't want to get my hopes up. From what I understand, its a small company, so they've basically had to get the CEO involved to potentially sign off on my wage, if they give it to me.

I've told them to take as long as they need, but really hoping i get it now. If I've waited for 3+ weeks, had 2 interviews (with positive feedback each time) and I don't get it, I'd be a bit gutting to be honest. 

The only minor plus is that from the positive stuff they've told me about the interview, and even me as a person, I'm feeling pretty good about my future, regardless of how this turns out hah.

• Paid Members

I mean if they didn't want to give you the job they wouldn't still be bullshitting after 3 weeks surely. It sounds very likely they do need to just sort the admin out and with them being a small place they don't have a polished procedure

I'm hoping so.

That and that the pay increase would mean I'd be debt free by this time next year, and not in 2020 like It's currently looking to be hah.

Just taking it easy for now, and last thing I heard was that hopefully they'll have an answer for me after the bank holiday, so we'll wait an see.

Ahhh, we'll wait and see.

Regardless of what happens, the good feedback they've given me has really helped me, on many levels.

Towards the end of last year, I was in a deep bout of depression (still on the medication now) along with developing an anxiety disorder (probably had both for a very long time, just came to a head and finally went the doctors etc). That coupled with me nearing my 30's and being up to my neck in debt, an generally feeling like I don't have a lot to offer people, in terms of work, being directly told by a company that not only A) I do and B) it turns out i'm quite good at something, has really given me some confidence in my work/myself and all sorts.

Probably a bit selfish on my part, but if that's all I get out of this opportunity, than I'm happy to be honest.

Has anyone just walked out of a job they've had for a long time and foregone their notice period?

In short: I have a new boss, had him for around 18 months. We just do not get on, but neither of us has done anything serious enough to get HR involved. It's got to the point where I just don't want to go to work and have to deal with him, and I'm quite happy to just walk out. Anyone know where I'd stand legally? Im guessing in breach of contract, just wondering if anyone has done this.

What about references? I know employers aren't allowed to give a bad reference, but I've worried in the past that what they'd supply to your next employer if you'd left on good terms and what they'd supply (if anything) if you'd just walked out would be markedly and tellingly different.

• Awards Moderator

The only downer I would see is being able to work immediately when having interviews. Any employer would raise an eyebrow at that, and you don't want to bring up the fact that you can't get along with your boss at an interview.

Just work it. Or come to an arrangement. Be blunt. "I'm having trouble working with you, here's my notice. I would like to work less of it if possible." This shit always comes back around if you leave it sour.

I've managed to half my notice period in past jobs by just saying, "I know its X amount of time, but I am leaving on this date, so I can either leave now, of carry on working" and that's worked for me. 

its each to their own, as I know my current job has let people go there and then,  then paid them  for the notice period as week. Whilst others in the same place have asked for it, and been flat out denied. So it depends on how well you get on with people I expect. If your boss is an arse, and he doesn't like you as much as you dislike him, it might be tough.

On references, I can only really say, they are not allowed to give a bad reference, so in theory any sort of indication that then damages their view of you, that could be seen as a bad reference. To my knowledge, when a place hates your guts they either don't give one at all or say "i can confirm this person worked here once"