The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

So I got those post holiday blues. Been back at work this week and have called in sick today because I just cannot face eight hours of sales calls. This is probably the first job ever where I've felt bad about taking sick days because we're such a small company and everyone has their own clients that were supposed to work for on a set amount of days per week, so this will mess with the schedule.

I actually don't dislike my job but I would have quit already if it wasn't for the fact that student finance fucked me and for unknown reasons removed the grant part of my finance which means I'm waiting six weeks for them to sort that out.

But I'm also in my second year of uni now and I have to start thinking about what I'm going to be doing afterwards. Journalism is what I want to work in but I'm not sure how I, as a near 30 year old man, goes about getting placements or work experience at papers or online outlets when I feel sure they're looking for some 19 year old, the kind of person they're looking for I assume. Same goes for graduate programs. Is my age going to be an issue when applying for graduate job programs when I graduate? I'm on course for a first in my degree, maybe that'll help.

Are you getting experience by writing for blogs and other websites? At least that way you're building up your portfolio.

Soon to be made redundant from an admin job in the North East, and privately a bit frightened. Only 31, but skills all lie seemingly in jobs being gobbled up by corrupt apprentice schemes paying 10 grand a year or less.

Can somebody tell me it'll work out okay in the end please? Or at least how best to suffer while it's not fine. cheers.

Remember that your skills are transferable to many other sectors. It's daunting, but you'll have a good reference and a good CV. I'm aware that I'm having trouble getting work so I may not be the most reassuring of advice givers! Start looking now, as they'll honour any interviews you'll get.

Double post. Bird in the hand stuff.

Got a call from an agency this morning whilst at the dole office funnily enough and the upshot is I've got a three month contract starting Monday. I've got an interview tomorrow for a full time job and another on Friday. Would it be wanky to quit a new job if I was to get offered one of the full time ones if I've agreed to the three month one?

I know the answer, just need reassurance really.

• Paid Members

"Wanky" is subjective.

Is it wanky to turn down a full time job just to delay unemployment for three months?

Agency work is to fill gaps, and there's no guarantee it'll last the three months anyway. You'll still have bills to pay three months from now.

• Paid Members

Think about how they would treat you. Would they be nice and understanding if suddenly your contract was to end after 4 weeks? No. You'd either get a voicemail or turn up one day when they're not expecting you.

Agency work can be horrible and they can treat folk poorly so keep that in mind. Out for yourself only. Take the permanent.

Double post. Bird in the hand stuff.

Got a call from an agency this morning whilst at the dole office funnily enough and the upshot is I've got a three month contract starting Monday. I've got an interview tomorrow for a full time job and another on Friday. Would it be wanky to quit a new job if I was to get offered one of the full time ones if I've agreed to the three month one?

I know the answer, just need reassurance really.

I was in the same boat and was on a short term 3 month contract that could be longer or shorter, really loved the place but got offered a more full time position in a managerial position elsewhere, I felt bad leaving after a month or so but they could have quite easily done the same thing to me. Funny enough they now have full time vacancies and have emailed me to see if I am interested which is tempting...but they were understanding at the time. The way I see it if they really like you they will offer you a full time position if it becomes available anyway (if you've been there and left for a full time position). 

So I got those post holiday blues. Been back at work this week and have called in sick today because I just cannot face eight hours of sales calls. This is probably the first job ever where I've felt bad about taking sick days because we're such a small company and everyone has their own clients that were supposed to work for on a set amount of days per week, so this will mess with the schedule.

I actually don't dislike my job but I would have quit already if it wasn't for the fact that student finance fucked me and for unknown reasons removed the grant part of my finance which means I'm waiting six weeks for them to sort that out.

But I'm also in my second year of uni now and I have to start thinking about what I'm going to be doing afterwards. Journalism is what I want to work in but I'm not sure how I, as a near 30 year old man, goes about getting placements or work experience at papers or online outlets when I feel sure they're looking for some 19 year old, the kind of person they're looking for I assume. Same goes for graduate programs. Is my age going to be an issue when applying for graduate job programs when I graduate? I'm on course for a first in my degree, maybe that'll help.

Are you getting experience by writing for blogs and other websites? At least that way you're building up your portfolio.

Blogs and other websites would be a great way, basically any old shot seems yo get published now on certain sites so I'm sure you'll be already high up the pecking order.

Are you single spurs? Not sure how you feel about it but in other parts of the world they cry put for good journalists for English speaking papers. A twat I worked with did a piece got paid on amd they wanted him to work full time even though what he wrote got him almost attacked. You can work for full papers in Asia, teach English part to.e and work up ypur CV over a couple of years in a cheap sunny place. I liked it so much I kept the teaching career and got engaged!

Soon to be made redundant from an admin job in the North East, and privately a bit frightened. Only 31, but skills all lie seemingly in jobs being gobbled up by corrupt apprentice schemes paying 10 grand a year or less.

Can somebody tell me it'll work out okay in the end please? Or at least how best to suffer while it's not fine. cheers.

Remember that your skills are transferable to many other sectors. It's daunting, but you'll have a good reference and a good CV. I'm aware that I'm having trouble getting work so I may not be the most reassuring of advice givers! Start looking now, as they'll honour any interviews you'll get.

Cheers Keith! Having been comfortable and relatively happy in my job for yonks, it's intimidating and massively time-consuming getting back on the job-applying bus, especially whilst still having to get through a day at work in a morale-sapped place and then sneak some quality time with the kids in before getting going on a form at 9pm! It's going to be an uphill climb for a bit but I'm hoping even just getting the odd interview here and there (in anything, tbh) will be a big confidence boost.

If I'm applying for a job and I've found a contact name but I'm not sure that's the exact person who will be reviewing the application, should I just direct it to him/her, or is it worth starting with something like "Dear Mr. Smith or to whom it may concern"?

If I'm applying for a job and I've found a contact name but I'm not sure that's the exact person who will be reviewing the application, should I just direct it to him/her, or is it worth starting with something like "Dear Mr. Smith or to whom it may concern"?

Phone them up and ask if you should address the application to them. That way you've already spoken to them and your application will carry a fraction more weight.

• Paid Members

Applied for about 20 colleges. Not one interview. I've got an HND already. Thought I'd try something different. I was willing to pay for the course. Not one interview. Do these fucking places run an agist policy or something? I'm 37. Thought it was a bit out of order. Even the college that I got the HND in didn't even give me an interview. I was applying for these courses in March \ April too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Phone them up and ask if you should address the application to them. That way you've already spoken to them and your application will carry a fraction more weight.

If the application form/website doesn't specify but does have a contact number then calling them and asking is sensible.

I'm not sure it will carry any extra weight, whoever answers the phone probably wont even ask your name, but it will at least make sure it goes to the right person when it's submitted.

If the application form/website doesn't specify but does have a contact number then calling them and asking is sensible.

I'm not sure it will carry any extra weight, whoever answers the phone probably wont even ask your name, but it will at least make sure it goes to the right person when it's submitted.

I meant phone up and ask to speak to the contact name. Speak directly to them, not the receptionist.