The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I realise most of my posts on here either (a)dont make a lot of sense (b) are in the picture thread or ©are jokey so this is quite a serious one for me.

To recap: I've spent a lot of the last 3.5 extremely fucking poorly. Was misdiagnosed for the 2 odd years (making the occasional attempt at work only to be met by convulsion like panic attacks) before finally being given heavy duty meds and going through the medical referal system essentially with no support before finally being diagnosed with a combo of neurological and personality stuff.

I'm stable enough atm to be able to start looking for work. Only problem is I've spent my entire 'career' working in callcentres/ I've been in them enough now though to realise that they don't help with the personality I have- I'd rather mince my own testes rather than deal with the general public at this point. I'm thinking data entry/admin woud be something that I'd suit, but obviously with a 3 odd year gap on my CV thats not ideal.

Ive seen an occupational therapy woman last week who wasn't much cop and I'm seeing Remploy on Thursday. Hopefully I'm not too long in the tooth at 36 to look at some kind of apprenticeship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been in my job for a year, and it is the best job and company I've ever worked with. I've been accepted on a secondment for 1 to 3 years to live and work in Germany. I'm so pleased it's untrue.

Everything's coming up Tommy.

9eNaiyW.gif

• Paid Members

Nice one Tommy. Good luck with it.

I've got a second interview for a Policy and Parliamentary Affairs role for a major IT company. Basically policy research, lobbying and hobnobbing with Parliamentarians.

I would love to get this. I miss working in politics a hell of a lot. I can pretty much feel my brain atrophying in local government. Only shitter is a 3 and a bit hour drive from the hotel I'm staying at in Devon to the interview, slap bang in the middle of my first week off since January.

On the plus side, if I don't get it, my boss has offered me a promotion in my current place and I'll just fuck off and do my MRES next year.

Edited by Gus Mears

Had an interview this week but didn't get the job. However, they told me that they promoted internally and are considering me for a different role within the company so that's good. Couple more interviews this week so fingers crossed.

Good luck, Gus, hope you get it. And we'll done Tommy, that's great news.

Offered a job last week back doing Audit, Risk and Quality for the first time in 6 months since being made redundant from my QA Manager role. Absolutely delighted. 

Can chuck this shite telesales role that I took to get me by. Thank fuck.

Had anyone had any experience with Hobbycraft? I have an interview for a part time job to get some extra cash for college and they seem to want to do a team based thing, a 1 on 1 and a tour at the same time which seems odd but hey it'll be a cosy job that's dead easy to get to and from.

• Paid Members

Good luck, Gus!

Cheers Keith!

That felt like it was the best interview I've ever had. Had forty minutes to come up with a presentation related to one of the companies core strategies, gave the presentation, then standard interview.

The two hours flew by, really good conversation and I'm generally pretty good at interview. Find out next week, but if I don't get it, won't be because of the interview but relevant experience in Parliament.