The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Hated my job for the last two years - they just throw way too much at me and I spend my nights dreaming about orders and dread waking up. Went to hand my notice in today and the gaffer said he really didn't want to lose me and would give me a pretty decent pay rise. 

Now I'm undecided - I didn't have any back-up when I went to hand my notice in, I've usually landed in new jobs pretty quickly so I wasn't too worried about being unemployed. So do I risk fucking it off and potentially not finding a job over the Xmas period, or do I take the pay rise and continue to hate day to day life?

I think the healthy option is to fuck my job off regardless. But moneys nice.

• Paid Members

Take the pay rise, but make it clear that the workload needs to better managed. Throwing extra money at you will hurt the business in the long run if you're still having an unmanageable load thrown at you.

If things don't improve by Christmas, then you leave. This way you benefit from extra money, but the loss to the company is their own fault because they didn't address the root cause of why you were going to leave now.

• Paid Members

Mostly as Surf said. Take the money, but maybe start applying for other jobs at the same time, that way you have the security of extra cash and you're already fashioning an escape route should nothing alter in terms of workload.

Being happy in your job is always better than extra money, so long as you can live reasonably comfortably.

Had my appointment for Universal Credit this morning. Thankfully I live in ponce central so they didn't treat me with anything but respect. Before I went in though, I had a phone call from a recruiter who I'm meeting today, they asked if I'd be available for an interview on Thursday. Hopefully this'll mean I won't have to visit the job centre much more.

Well, until I inevitably hit the skids and drink myself into the abyss again.

• Paid Members

Apologies for bumping, but just had the resignation conversation with my manager and I am officially outtahere in four weeks. Do feel for my manager, I got on very well with him and he reiterated the point from soon after I started that he was looking to promote me through the team quite quickly. But this has worked out so well. On holiday for a fortnight, back for a fortnight, move and start a job I think I'll really flourish at the Monday after. Sorry to be so vainglorious over this, but it's so rare you get a spell of decent stuff happening in quick succession. Long may it continue.

Edited by Gus Mears

I've been on JSA for six months now, and the damage it has done to my confidence has been astounding; primarily because - as I mentioned here once before - I was applying for any old shit and not hearing back at all. Not a single interview. In the year since graduating, a mate of mine who dropped out has been in and out of about three jobs, and everyone I knew from uni struggled initially but have all fallen into jobs of varying quality. Just did me in.

JobCentre put me on three different CV courses. The first was two-hours, and I was told my CV was okay but nothing special, fix it here and here and it'll be fine. Still nothing. Then they put me on a one-day course and he told me much the same, and still with no effect. Then they put me on a four-day CV and interview course, and it was, again, the same deal. In fact, they were falling over themselves to tell me how strong was CV was. I was worried I lacked in-work experience, they assured me that employers are only really interested in what you've been doing for the past few years, and university was my answer. But again, absolutely nothing. No interviews, no call backs, not even any rejections: just radio silence.

Eventually, I mentioned in passing to my job coach that I wonder if my cover letter was at fault. She said maybe and off I went. Then in my last meeting I was with somebody else, but when I mentioned the same thing she immediately pulled my cover letter template up on UJM, told me it was "fine for ten years ago but not what they want anymore," laid out exactly how to do it, and then told me "nowadays, the cover letter is probably more important than the CV" - which was a bit of an annoyance to hear after three employability courses with nary a mention of cover letters.

But anyway, sorted that, applied for a couple of jobs, and this morning I've been phoned back twice in an hour. And rather than feel relieved, I feel like a virgin who's just pulled. Terrified.

Edited by Stunner

My missus does a fair bit of recruitment in her job and also tidies up CVs for family and friends.  One of her top bits of advice is to have several CVs and tailor them to the job you're going for.  One of our friends was struggling to get work after being self-employed and he ended up with half a dozen interviews within a week of her explaining how to do this to him.

Recruitment is also my remit within my job but we don't accept CVs so I'm never sure what a good one looks like.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Had my appointment for Universal Credit this morning. Thankfully I live in ponce central so they didn't treat me with anything but respect. Before I went in though, I had a phone call from a recruiter who I'm meeting today, they asked if I'd be available for an interview on Thursday. Hopefully this'll mean I won't have to visit the job centre much more.

What's UC process like? Just heard recently the entire shift over to it is delayed by another 4 years.

What's UC process like? Just heard recently the entire shift over to it is delayed by another 4 years.

You have to wait about a month before you get anything. Got a meeting tomorrow so I'll find out more.

Didn't get the job I interviewed for last week. Gutted.

• Paid Members

Currently dealing with the fallout from TC so as soon as UC is up and running the better. However there are some incredible oversights in how its been set up so just be careful when any circs that change and who you tell in terms of other associated bodies like housing, local authority etc.

Sorry to hear that about the job as well. Not great news and the feedback if provided is usually basic and not wholly constructive.

• Paid Members

So I got those post holiday blues. Been back at work this week and have called in sick today because I just cannot face eight hours of sales calls. This is probably the first job ever where I've felt bad about taking sick days because we're such a small company and everyone has their own clients that were supposed to work for on a set amount of days per week, so this will mess with the schedule.

I actually don't dislike my job but I would have quit already if it wasn't for the fact that student finance fucked me and for unknown reasons removed the grant part of my finance which means I'm waiting six weeks for them to sort that out.

But I'm also in my second year of uni now and I have to start thinking about what I'm going to be doing afterwards. Journalism is what I want to work in but I'm not sure how I, as a near 30 year old man, goes about getting placements or work experience at papers or online outlets when I feel sure they're looking for some 19 year old, the kind of person they're looking for I assume. Same goes for graduate programs. Is my age going to be an issue when applying for graduate job programs when I graduate? I'm on course for a first in my degree, maybe that'll help.

Soon to be made redundant from an admin job in the North East, and privately a bit frightened. Only 31, but skills all lie seemingly in jobs being gobbled up by corrupt apprentice schemes paying 10 grand a year or less.

Can somebody tell me it'll work out okay in the end please? Or at least how best to suffer while it's not fine. cheers.