The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Didn't get the job, but not being despondent and hitting the booze though. Got some helpful feedback from them, apparently there wasn't enough substance in my answers so that's something to focus on. The agency are lining me up for another role so keeping upbeat and hopeful, plus I've an interview Thursday to focus on.

On the plus side, pulled a girl last night who demanded I do her up the council, so every cloud and all that.

Great that you got the feedback, I find it invaluable for helping people tweak their interview skills. At least you know now what you need to do to give yourself the best chance on Thursday. Well done for not boozing, I know it was probably bloody hard for you, but you did it, and as a result, had enough oomph to help a young lady mash her dinner. Good day really.

Yeah I usually spin and bullshit so much during interviews, not so much make things up but elaborate as much as possible and make it sound like a really important role. 

I think its got to the point where I have rehearsed an interview and know exactly what to say and how to say it, 

There were a few jobs I missed out on and its easy to be gutted if you miss out on something you know you will love, but on the other hand something else will pop up that you will enjoy probably more than you think. 

Bugger! I go for an interview for what is my dream job tomorrow. Football, press stuff, software development and process and project management. It's like it was meant to be! Okay it's only Maternity Cover, but it covers everything at work I have ever had an interest in. The only part I'm really bricking is that it will be my first interview as me. Previous interviews including my current job were as the old me, and that is overriding the sense that my identity is gunna fuck things up. It's a great opportunity and I have examples and match the personality profile and what not in spades. 

I shouldn't be worrying about the gender thing, right? If I am good enough, I'm good enough??

• Paid Members

I had another interview today courtesy of a recruitment company. It was so fucking pointless I could have cried - also because I had a banging headache and had to drive 30 miles for it. I wasn't anywhere near qualified for it and didn't have the experience they were looking for. How on earth do recruitment companies get it so wrong? AND the company had my full CV and cover letter so they also knew what they were getting.

What a waste of time.

I had another interview today courtesy of a recruitment company. It was so fucking pointless I could have cried - also because I had a banging headache and had to drive 30 miles for it. I wasn't anywhere near qualified for it and didn't have the experience they were looking for. How on earth do recruitment companies get it so wrong? AND the company had my full CV and cover letter so they also knew what they were getting.

What a waste of time.

Recruitment companies are looking at the margins, chuck. I went for an interview in Macclesfield of all places for a Sales Manager job. At the time I had bits and bobs that related to the jobspec but was miles off what they required. The guy interviewing was actually a great help and said if I developed these points would have had a great shot at a job, but the end game was the recruiters wanted bums on seats for  their lower end to be raised and actually hadnt dont the work to assess suitability. Look at the the interview as experience and chalk it up as a learning process

Managed to bag myself an interview for next week,  its essentially for the same job I have although maybe a bit more technical, but does pay a bit more, (I work in IT support), and its in the same town that I live in, which basically ticks all the boxes for me for "Things I'm looking for in a job".

Just have to do my research on the company itself and hope for the best.

Edited by Mr.E

• Paid Members

Good luck Mr.E, sounds like you could be on to a winner there.

My boss is trying to get me to go for a promotion, which would usually be great. However, I'm planning on leaving to do a postgrad next year and quite like not having to do a lot at the minute. I think I'll go for it, the extra money won't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Had two interviews for a job I really want and was told I'd probably find out the outcome Monday. I got down to last 3 of 109 applicants but still not contacted me yet - is it likely I've been unsuccessful since he said probably Monday? Bit rude not to contact unsuccessful candidates when there's only 3 applicants that got to the final interview.

Basic question and I sound like a kid going for his first job but I was 7 years with the one company from the age of 18 so this trying to work out how other employers work is something I'm just getting used to.

Edited by FUM

Monkee you've said you've got an offer...are you accepting??? We need to know!!!

And I would be very surprised if they didn't contact you even if you were unsuccessful. There's only 3 of you!!!

Don't worry about it being a day late, but do chase up yourself please.